UPDATE: Galaxy S6 now working with Android Auto!

pez01

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S6 and Android Auto (not working yet ...)

Do I have to buy a special cable to use the S6 with the Pioneer 4100nex unit?

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, I am picking up my brand new 2016 VW Golf 1.8L TSI Saturday which comes with Android Auto. From what was described to me and i watched a bunch of video reviews, a special cable is required to connect my Galaxy S6 to my Golf MDI unit. The VW dealership where i am getting my car does NOT have the connector for Android (mini usb) devices for sale at all..They do carry the iphone lighting port cable theyre giving to me which is nice but currently no use to me...I just want clarity on what cable i DO need for my Galaxy S6 to work with my new Golf.

I am in Canada, the only thing I came across was from Amazon.ca...

https://www.amazon.ca/AGPtek®-Volks...hawk-future-ca-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5067300

Will this cable do the job for Navigation and full Android Auto experience? The listing of Compatibility Volkswagen only shows to 2012...someone answered the question that this should work for their 2015 Golf...but nothing mentioned about Android Auto.

Feedback is really appreciated...super excited and just want to make sure everything will work.

Thanks!!!

Pedrore

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
The 2016 Golf should have a standard USB type A port; the MDI cable is a thing of the past. This change came as part of VWs new infotainment units to support Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.

Posted via the Android Central App

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
The 2016 Golf should have a standard USB type A port; the MDI cable is a thing of the past. This change came as part of VWs new infotainment units to support Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.

When I test drove the 2015 it had the Mdi input only... Fingers crossed hoping you're right.

DeLana Russell

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site

I have a 2015 Sonata with Android Auto installed and a Galaxy S6 with Google Play Services 7.5.71 and the combination is not working. My phone will connect via bluetooth, as usual, but when plugging in the phone via usb absolute nothing happens other than the phone starts to charge. The cars screen has an Android Auto icon but it is greyed out, Android Auto is enable in the settings. Any idea why mine will not work but yours does?

Pedrore

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I am both in Canada and looking to buy a new Golf in a couple of months so I'm really interested in hearing about your experience with this!

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

You are correct, where used to be the Mdi input now sits USB and Aux inputs. I have not tested out Android Auto yet, out driving today and loving every moment.. Using Bluetooth connectivity which has been flawless so far with media playback and voice calls. Additionally, beside the CD player is an SD card which will be used for my music... Unless it's just easier to navigate with my phone/AA.

I'll report back on my android auto experience later this week once I've had a few days to test it.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I am both in Canada and looking to buy a new Golf in a couple of months so I'm really interested in hearing about your experience with this!

So I've been using android auto in my brand new (and incredibly amazing, fuel efficient ) 2016 Golf with my S6. Here are my pros and cons.

Pros
- using the steering wheel controls works flawless, I can trigger google now without removing my hand off the wheel. I used to have to unlock my phone, say hey google... This is a lot easier and safer.

- layout is nice and big, buttons are easy to press and responsive. Pretty straight forward and ease of use overall.

- my music artwork is display nicely unlike using Bluetooth (some may not care but I love seeing the album art).

- Maps works great, used twice no complaints. You can even not use directions and still have maps show where you are... But I've got a data limit of 2gb so I disable location when I don't need it.

- voice calls are very clear, louder than I expected and everyone in the car is easily able to speak to the person as well... Neat.

- you can listen to music, exit out of AA and use other functions of MIB2 while still using AA audio. I am guessing gps works the same. Example, you can listen to music while monitoring your consumption or mileage.

- using a cheap old small USB cable it charges my phone.

Cons
- plugging in everytime is a chore, my old car I was annoyed as I had it always plugged in through Aux...was happy to get Bluetooth but Im not using it. Lol.

- if you pair your Bluetooth, then you plug in your phone for AA it unpairs your initial and repairs it. Basically you can't have two sets of Bluetooth paired, it's either AA or standard BT. Odd. And annoying incase I don't feel like using AA here and there.

- you can pause music (google play music), only stop or play. So if I go run into the store and bring my phone, when I go back and plug it in it starts song from beginning... Minor gripe that can be fixed I guess.

- screen is on the dimmer side, it doesn't bother me too much but may bother people expecting 1080p resolution. I knew this and am fine with it... I'm not gonna watch movies on it.

Overall it's very good and I am using it daily, the biggest gripe is having to plug it in... I wish that was only needed for maps.

UPDATE>>
Latest AA update allows for Google play music to be paused...awesome .

Also, latest update gets rid of the BT pairing weirdness I was having. Awesome again.

Last edited:

esalter

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site

Yes it does. But as I also found out today, you have to be very careful about the USB cable you use. I bought my car yesterday and tried several different 'generic' USB cables that will charge my phone or transfer media, but wouldn't sync with Android Auto. I called Hyundai customer support and the first thing the tech person suggested was to try the USB cable that came with the phone. Voila!

esalter

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
I had exactly the same issue and thanks to Hyundai customer support, I got it figured out. Easy fix. It has to do with the USB cable you use. A lot of generic cables will work to charge the phone or transfer data. But none of the generic ones I had would sync with the car (I just bought 2016 Hyundai Sonata yesterday). The tech person suggested I use the Samsung cable that came with the phone. Not a generic cable. It worked perfectly! Good luck.

ptduff

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
This is not true. I have S6 Edge and new 2016 Hyundai Sonata. Bluetooth will pair but program does not recognize the connection for Air Auto

ptduff

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site

2016 Hyundai Sonata, Galaxy S6 Edge with Marshmellow. Car will connect via Bluetooth but does not see phone for use with Air Auto. Air Auto icon on car display remains grey and dead. Any suggestions?

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

2016 Hyundai Sonata, Galaxy S6 Edge with Marshmellow. Car will connect via Bluetooth but does not see phone for use with Air Auto. Air Auto icon on car display remains grey and dead. Any suggestions?

Enable debugging USB in Dev mode... After that my regular S6 was recognized by my 2016 Golf

mohitmukheja

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Guys, I bought Note 7 yesterday and out of the box it didnt work. The Android auto on the phone says connect to the unit. Bluetooth connectivity works but not the android auto on my Nex4100.
Please note that prior to this I was using nexus 6P and it worked just fine without any issues, so I am sure the issue seems to be with the phone rather than unit, or cable or anything.

I read this entire thread. I have already tried USB debugging, also checked firmware of the unit and everything is supposed to be way it is but still no connection. I am very sad at this because as much as I like note 7, I thinking I might return it if I am not able to get it working soon. I am new to the area and Android auto (mainly GPS) is something that I use literally daily.

I will appreciate if there is an update about this. I am surely going to check with Samsung on this.

mohitmukheja

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Ok folks, I have made some progress. Here is what I did -
1) I used the samsung supplied cable rather than the one I was using earlier to connect and it makes difference.
2) While the samsung cable was connected, I turned USB debugging off and then on and it did the trick.

Now this makes Android Auto launch on phone, I agree to all the agreements etc and my screen goes black with Android Auto logo as it should.

But on the Car stereo, I am stuck at the "Safety Agreenment" screen and not able to accept it. No matter how many times I am trying to touch it to agree or anywhere, it isnt happening. In the meantime I see a pop saying "Error" and then when I click anywhere on screen, it goes away and thats where it sits. I have resetted the unit settings to start fresh but getting stuck at the same thing. Not really sure if it is now the fault of the unit or connectivity issue of samsung phone. I will keep looking.

mrtolles

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
mohitmukheja, Any luck on getting Android Auto working with your Note 7? I'm looking to get the 4200Nex today, but Don't want to spend extra for it if it does not work with my Note 7.

CSCortes17

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site

Did you ever get this figured out? Whenever I plug in my GS6 to my 4200NEX, I get the same message that the car is in motion. I can't get pass the warning screen on my phone.