Update messed my phone up!! HELP!!!

gorka1k87

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
So last week sometime my phone said.. there is a new update.. ok sweet... so i updated my phone.. every since its been doing not very cool things.. my screen will lock itself and i wont be able to press anything or even unlock it... after a while it will just start working... My connection to the internet has been messing up and it thinks its not connected.. or it lost connection.. never did that before.... in my txt messages sometimes it decides to show the name.. other times it shows the number... also the pictures that go with the contact dont show up... the most annoying part is when the phone locks up.. anywhere from 5-30min.. sometimes it would say something crashed.. and to report it to HTC.. ive done that like 6 times already... HELP!!! PLZ!!

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
The problems with the Gingerbread update are well documented in this forum. As of now there's no fix for it coming. You have to take it upon yourself how you want to fix it. Some people decide to root. Others take their phone to AT&T to try to get them to fix it. You could aso try reinstalling the update from HTC Mobile Phone Support - HTC Inspire . Be sure to follow the directions for manual system update.

frmorrison

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
The problems with the Gingerbread update are well documented in this forum. As of now there's no fix for it coming.

Right, there is not a fix incoming, but I did read about this news.
Back in September, HTC said they were working on an update to Desire HD (the Euro version of Inspire) to get to 2.3.5 and Sense 3.0. There was nothing said for Inspire, but assuming the Desire HD update is pushed, they would likely port it to Inspire.

Last edited:

Ronnie2

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Right, there is not fix incoming, but I did read about this news.
Back in September, HTC said they were working on an update to Desire HD (the Euro version of Inspire) to get to 2.3.5 and Sense 3.0. There was nothing said for Inspire, but assuming the Desire HD update is pushed, they would likely port it to Inspire.

Its already been done. Android Revolution HD is based on that test build and it runs smooth as butter. No problems or bugs I've found. I would just root your phone...the hack kit is much easier to use than it once was. Here's a couple links to the rom and hack kit.

Advanced Ace Hack Kit
Android Revolution HD 6.1.4

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Its already been done. Android Revolution HD is based on that test build and it runs smooth as butter. No problems or bugs I've found. I would just root your phone...the hack kit is much easier to use than it once was.

I was just going to say that. I've been running ARHD for a couple of weeks now.

sharksfan7

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Its already been done. Android Revolution HD is based on that test build and it runs smooth as butter. No problems or bugs I've found. I would just root your phone...the hack kit is much easier to use than it once was. Here's a couple links to the rom and hack kit.

Advanced Ace Hack Kit
Android Revolution HD 6.1.4

Thanks for this comment. I've been considering loading ARHD. I've been running Absolution for a few days now and am blown away at the battery life it's giving me and has been really smooth so far. But I find myself missing some of the Sense "look" even though I run a different launcher over it.

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
The problems with the Gingerbread update are well documented in this forum. As of now there's no fix for it coming. You have to take it upon yourself how you want to fix it. Some people decide to root. Others take their phone to AT&T to try to get them to fix it. You could aso try reinstalling the update from HTC Mobile Phone Support - HTC Inspire . Be sure to follow the directions for manual system update.
Ok back up your text sync your numbers do a factory reset all apps will be deleted but this is y I say sync with Google when you log back in the market it will have a list of all apps and the newer market auto downloads especially paid apps ;)

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Because of the probs with the gingerbread update, I've never updated my Inspire to gingerbread.

But my Inspire has gradually slowed in everything since last September. Initially, each time I lightly touched a link, the new screen instantly appeared; however now a link sometimes must be touched 4-6 times before the new screen slowly appears.

I've never added software to my Inspire (which I purchased on its release date 2/14/2011). I rarely make calls on it, don't surf the web or use social media or gps or listen to music or watch vids or movies. I do no specifically android activities, such as gmail or google, on my Inspire.

Sending/receiving about 1200-1500 texts monthly, occasionally checking email, and 2-3 calls per month constitute my only Inspire stuff.

So, I have two questions:
1) Why has my Inspire become so slow to respond to touch?
2) Has the gingerbread update improved? Or do users continue to have negative issues after this update?

Thank you kindly for any info you can furnish. :)

P.S. Despite my Arkansas Razorbackship, I'm not a rooter . . . ;)

Last edited:

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
So, I have two questions:
1) Why has my Inspire become so slow to respond to touch?
2) Has the gingerbread update improved? Or do users continue to have negative issues after this update?

Thank you kindly for any info you can furnish. :)

P.S. Despite my Arkansas Razorbackship, I'm not a rooter . . . ;)

Have you even done a restart? Long press the power button and choose restart on the menu popup. As far as the Gingerbread update, they never did anything to fix it. But from what it sounds like to me, you don't even really need a smartphone.

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Pazzo02, I'm a retired college professor and have used a smartphone for years for Outlook calendar sync and email, and still use my last iPAQ. I have glaucoma and definitely need the Inspire's 4.3" display. Let's just say that I use my phone less than I used to for everything except texting. Since I have almost a year before I can purchase a new phone with upgrade-discount pricing and I totally LOVE my Inspire, I prefer to get it back up to par speedwise. My question is how to return it to its initial speed, not whether I need a smartphone. :)

I power my Inspire off every night when I go to bed . . .

Last edited:

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Powering off on Android is like the sleep function on a Windows pc. It doesn't actually shut it down. Try a restart as I described before and see if that helps. I need to restart mine like once every week or two to keep it at top performance. It's just that nature of the beast.

BTW, in my last post, that was supposed to say ever instead of even. Wasn't meaning to sound short.

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Is the Inspire restart the equivalent of a soft reset?

I'm not saying that I simply put the phone in a doze; I actually turn it all the way off each night as well as during daytime meetings.

And no, I've never used the 3rd option (restart) . . .

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
When you say you turn it all the way off, I assume you mean you hold the power button and choose power off. That's what I was talking about. That is actually only like sleep mode. It doesn't clear anything out of memory, which is usually why it gets slowed down. Try the restart and see if that helps.

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
If u don't already u can get an app off the market to clean out all the app caches, maket history caches etc. A restart doesn't clear these caches, u have to do it manually. "Android Assistant" is a really good one that is free & includes all the tools u need to manage your system. It has a quick boost function too. That's about all u can do without rooting, which is always the best choice. I could never use an unrooted phone again happily but it doesn't sound like you'd have much use for a rooted phone :')

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
When you say you turn it all the way off, I assume you mean you hold the power button and choose power off. That's what I was talking about. That is actually only like sleep mode. It doesn't clear anything out of memory, which is usually why it gets slowed down. Try the restart and see if that helps.

Please tell me if my understanding is incorrect:

I have always thought a short press on my Inspire power button puts my phone to sleep but not powered off.

I have always thought the RESTART for my Inspire is the same as the RESTART for my Windows PC (power off and come back on).

I have always thought that a powered off "shut down" on my Inspire is equivalent to the same option on my Windows PC (power off and stay off; the pause that refreshes).

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Please tell me if my understanding is incorrect:

I have always thought a short press on my Inspire power button puts my phone to sleep but not powered off.

I have always thought the RESTART for my Inspire is the same as the RESTART for my Windows PC (power off and come back on).

I have always thought that a powered off "shut down" on my Inspire is equivalent to the same option on my Windows PC (power off and stay off; the pause that refreshes).

The short press just shuts off the screen, the phone is still fully awake. The long press and choose "shut down" is actually just a sleep mode. With restart, you are correct.

As far as clearing caches, as the other poster said, that's usually not necessary unless there is something seriously screwed up on your phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish