Updates in new Jelly Bean update

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I haven't seen anything that really lists the updates so I would post a few things I have found. Please post anything else you may have round that might be good for some.

1. Kies via Wifi is an option. I haven't gotten it to work but it wasn't even available before
2. Pop out video window. I know it was available via third party app but now it is natively supported
3. Looks much closer to the Nature UX version of Touchwize on the GS3
4. Considerably more lock screen configuration options with short cuts
5. Camera app was updated with some added options.
6. Option to Hide applications in Launcher
7. S-Beam was finally added so we can share just as easy as someone with the newer galaxy phones.
8. Updated Allshare apps, wich could add some extra fun depending on how you use your media.
9. Basic and easy home screen modes. I am not sure if that was on the S3 or not, but I have heard about it on the S4
10. Blocking mode which looks like it adds the ability to control incoming calls and information based on time line and a switch.
11. evFAT file support. This is a big one if anyone has a 64GB MicroSD card. Basically now you can get past 4GB file size limitation of fat32. This is huge if you have HD moves that are over 4GB's in size which allot are.
12. Several new gesture controls similar to that of the GS3
13. New gesture based controls with the S-pen
14 Some added options for accessory like the desk Dock and the HDMI adapter for stereo or surround sound.

These are Samsung specific addon's. Of course all of the Android Jelly Bean features are added as well with updates to notifications, and Google Now etc.

Last edited:

KSoD

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
In the contacts you now have the option to set both ringtones and message tones. So now you can set a tone for when someone calls you and someone sends you a text. This way you can know who is calling versus who is texting. Removes the need for 3rd party apps like CustomSMS for custom text tones. Only issue I found is that it will play the whole tone, and if you select a phone tone, it will continually play till you open the text. If you set an MP3 file, it will play the entire file. So make sure you dont use full songs. Set it for files that are shorter. Personally I use Zedge to get Notification tones to accomplish this.

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
*** UPDATE: I meant to ask how the pop up browser works (pop up video works for me).

How do you get pop up video to work, I think AT&T disabled that for the i717.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

max_stirling

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
Does this mean that the Note 1 now supports 64GB microSD cards or is this just a large video file thing?

I like the new update though Kies is a terrible tool. Some things seem to run faster while others seem a little slower. The shadowing effects on the home screens is a nice update and the overall display quality seems to be up even though this is not a hardware update. The updated keyboards is an improvement and I do notice that the battery drains a little faster.

Initially, I was going to upgrade to an S4, but this update might be enough for me hold off to get Note 3 in the fall. We'll see.

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
@Max do you see multi window or pop up browser, I think AT&T disabled it, although they deny it. They send me to Samsung and Samsung sends me to them.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Does this mean that the Note 1 now supports 64GB microSD cards or is this just a large video file thing?

Depends on your definition of support. Technically the 64 gb card has been supported in android for a while. Officially samsung won't say it is on the note 1. The evFat file system is the standard format large flash memory cards use. My Sandisk microsd extream card came formated that way.

So no, Samsumg won't say it is supported, but now the big issue of 4gb file limit is removed

Wanted to add. I had to pull the card out of the phone and format it from windows. I don't know if the phone will do it by default.

Joseph DeMartino

May 6, 2013
Visit site
@Max do you see multi window or pop up browser, I think AT&T disabled it, although they deny it. They send me to Samsung and Samsung sends me to them.

AT&T also sent me to Samsung, but in my case the Samsung tech put me on hold for a few minutes and then told me flat-out that Mulit-View is NOT included in the release for the AT&T OG Note. He could not tell me why or which company was responsible. I told him to expect a lot more calls from unhappy customers, no matter who is to blame.

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
@Joseph, it's a shame because Multi window was the MOST wanted feature.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
i am not suprised though. I mean seriously with as much lag as i sometimes experience already i can't imagine with multiple programs running. Don't forget the Note one has the dual core snapdragon s3 processor which was pretty much the worst cpu of that generation of soc's. All of the Samsung devices that have the multi-window functionality have 2 gb of ram and either the samsung quad core cpu or the krait cpu.

jeeves744

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Atleast for me GPS seems to have improved a lot. Before update it would take awhile to lock on. Now i get lock on within a second or two

KSoD

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Multi view is not support for multiple apps to be used at the same time. But floating window can be used. It is only able to be used via the built in video player though. You cant just use it for youtube or anything like that. If a video uses the built in video player, you can float the window and be able to do other stuff.

joemd60

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I am going to revive an old thread, since I don't want to start a new one. I took my Samsung Stellar out and booted it up. I noticed there was an update to get Jelly Bean 4.1.2.
What I have noticed now, I cannot find a way to hide the applications I do not use. The option seems to have disappeared. Thanks

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams