Updating Security Patch on Locked AT&T Galaxy S8 (SM-G950U)?

drewid666

Jan 6, 2020
Visit site
My AT&T Galaxy S8 is locked (contract expires in March, 2020) and is running Android 9. For some reason it will not update the Security Patch and is stuck on March 1, 2019. This is a big problem with all the vulnerability issues going on so I would very much like to patch it before I can upgrade my phone in two months. On the SamMobile website, the October 2019 firmware for the G950U is listed as "G950USQS6DSJ3" with "Country" selections that include TMB, VZW, Sprint and many others. However, there is no selection for ATT. I have two questions:

1. Which carrier firmware should I [safely] use - TMB, VZW, or Sprint?

2. When I run Odin 3.14.1 there is a message that pops up: "Please be sure to delete your Google account (Samsung account) before downloading the binary. It is not possible to use the device without unlocking. Changing the partition without unlocking will cause problems."

Then there's a bunch of Chinese and Japanese language below that. I am totally confused about that warning (deleting Google account before downloading binary and not possible to use without unlocking). Should I remove my Google account from my phone before using Odin or delete my account entirely? Does this mean it's only for unlocked phones?

Any assistance with both questions is much appreciated.

drewid666

Jan 6, 2020
Visit site
Re: Updating Security Patch on Locked AT&T Galaxy S8 (SM-G950U)?

Thanks for the reply. I did check Smart Switch and still nothing available to update. Can I ignore the Odin prompt to delete my Google account or should I act upon it? Screenshot attached. Screenshot (39).png

drewid666

Jan 6, 2020
Visit site
I tried to flash it with Odin 3.13.1 on two different PCs and it failed to flash in each case. Here's a summary:

1. Ensured that latest Samsung USB drivers were installed via Samsung Smart Switch.
2. Enabled USB Debugging in Developer Options.
3. Followed the instructions from SamMobile.
4. I turned off my phone. Ran Odin and loaded all the MD5's in their respective fields (and used HOME_CSC to preserve user data), except for the USERDATA MD5. No other settings were changed; default boxes in Options tab were checked (F.Reset Time and Auto-Reboot) and Pit tab was left alone.
5. Rebooted phone in Download mode and connected the USB cable.
6. Started Odin.
7. It kept hanging at "PIT for mapping" for several minutes then failed.

Screenshot (3).png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali