Upgrade to Galaxy Watch 4

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Anyone upgrading from the Active 2 to the Galaxy Watch 4? I've never used Wear OS always had Samsung starting woth the Gear S3 the Galaxy Watch and now the Active 2. But I can get the watch 4 for 99 plus 50 in accessories. I don't want the classic with the rotating bezel. But just curious if it's worth it and if anyone else is doing it?

bulls96

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Following as well.

I'm totally happy with my Active 2 but what concerns me is the support for Tizen OS going away now that Samsung is in bed with Google.

My Fitbit Ionic lasted me 3 years before I decided to switch.

theobject

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
My wife is upgrading. I plan on it but the 44mm is sold out already on Samsung site:(. Samsung gives you a 21 day trial so if the experience is bad you can always return it. Samsung is supporting Tizen for 3 years from product launch, so even the Active 2 should be good for another year

Hghlndr

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I have traded in my GA2 as well for the closest "successor" GW4. I really had a great experience with this last watch though am eager to see more apps since tizen had hardly any support. Though have no history with Wear OS, I've dove in!
Peace

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Well I decided to do it cause I wanted to try Wear OS plus the Watch 4 has 16 gigs of storage over 4 gigs and more ram. But it told me I had to use my $50 accessory credit right than and there and I had to choose from a certain list and their was nothing I wanted. I got this big power bank that I already have and will try to sell it but after trade in and the rep is giving me an extra 10 off cause I almost canceled cause of the accessory thing. I thought I could use the 50 and get like an extra band. But for only having to pay like $80 I decided to go for it. I paid $160 for my Active 2 at BB or an open box and they are giving $150.

My husband on the other hand has the Galaxy Watch 3 he got back in Dec the bigger one. I think the Active 2 only came in one size which I do the smaller one anyways. But he mentioned to me that he liked mine better one time cause of the on screen bezel. So I punched in to see what it would cost to trade in his 3 for the bigger watch 4 which I know isn't stainless steel which is what he has now I believe and he may not even care to do it but it was like 94 bucks after $185 trade in and he has some reward bucks I'm sure cause I had like $9 from getting the 21 ultra.

Only thing i didn't understand is when I punched his in it said $50 towards one of these and had the list I had but then it said or get an e certificate for later to use on wearables or other accessories. Mine didn't say that cause I would of said send me an e certificate and got a different watch band later on. But anyway I was just curious who all was upgrading and from what to what. I haven't even told my husband about this yet and he may not want to do it. I am sure I will like it.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I have traded in my GA2 as well for the closest "successor" GW4. I really had a great experience with this last watch though am eager to see more apps since tizen had hardly any support. Though have no history with Wear OS, I've dove in!
Peace

I have no history with Wear OS neither I hope I like it though.. I had the Gear S 3 from way back it was so big I gave it to my husband and got the Galaxy Watch and than I sold it when I saw the Active 2. I haven't had it that long but when I saw the watch 4 had 16 storage over 4 and more ram and something else A2 didn't have I decided to try it and I wanted to see how wear OS was. I thought it was going to have Google Assistant but now they are saying later on it may get it. I had a bad experience when I had my Galaxy Watch and Samsung made me mad and I said I wasn't buying anything else from them and then I got a great deal on an open box A2 from BB and they knocked off enough extra money to where I could get there extended warranty and threw in a zagg protector is was a good deal.

kbboykin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Right now (I know folks gonna think I'm crazy), I have the GA2, GA2 LTE, and the GW3 LTE. I ordered the green 44 mm, GW4 (non-classic) and trading the GA2 (non-LTE) for it. That way I still have a GA2, GW3 on Tizen and I have always liked the app availability on Wear OS, so that's really why I got one. And getting the LTE for about what I paid for the GA2 (non-LTE) open box at Best Buy, I don't think, I did too bad.

theobject

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I ordered the GW4 in Black 44mm. From what I have read it's not just stock Wear OS but a joint effort between Samsung and Google. Some reviewers say it feels very much like Tizen but with broader Wear OS app support which it sorely needs. The credit gets issued 30 days after you receive the watch.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I ordered the GW4 in Black 44mm. From what I have read it's not just stock Wear OS but a joint effort between Samsung and Google. Some reviewers say it feels very much like Tizen but with broader Wear OS app support which it sorely needs. The credit gets issued 30 days after you receive the watch.

Yes I called promotions today and cancelled this powerbank and was told I would get a e certificate which is what I wanted to begin with for a lavendar watch band. But I could of sworn when I ordered mine it said I had to use the credit right then and only pick from what was on this list. Yes they said it will get issued after 30 days. I like that it has 16 gigs of storage over 4 and more ram and faster processor. I wonder if you can send you AR emjoi or animated gifs with this watch. I hope I like it. I love my Active 2.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Right now (I know folks gonna think I'm crazy), I have the GA2, GA2 LTE, and the GW3 LTE. I ordered the green 44 mm, GW4 (non-classic) and trading the GA2 (non-LTE) for it. That way I still have a GA2, GW3 on Tizen and I have always liked the app availability on Wear OS, so that's really why I got one. And getting the LTE for about what I paid for the GA2 (non-LTE) open box at Best Buy, I don't think, I did too bad.

So if my husband has the Watch 3 now but told me once he liked my A2 better with the on screen bezel do you think he will like the non classic in the bigger size? I am wanting to get him one too. He doesn't know I already ordered I haven't seen him due to our work shifts and he isn't into upgrading and having the latest like me but for 99 plus 50 in credit on accessories it's a good deal. Just not sure he'll like the regular I have to tell him about it 1st and see if he'll want the classic. But at 1st it told me mine would ship 8/26 I didn't order then it was sold out and the next am it was available but now I have to wait till 9/17.

I have this cover over my watch it slides right on I dont have a screen protector i need to find the same ones on Amazon for the new watch. I hope everyone likes it.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site

I ordered my Active 2 online at BB in black it was on sale and I did curbside and when I got there they couldn't find it and didn't have one in stock and I ended up getting an open box and ended up liking the cloud silver better. I paid like 160 and got a free zagg protector which I ended up not using and he couldn't add on there warranty but he knocked the price down lower so I could purchase it for $40 I think. Cause Samsung screwed me over on my regular Galaxy Watch that broke.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Now I asked my husband if he wants to do it and does he want the regular or classic and I am online trying to order and it's not giving me a choice of bands nor does it say sm or med/lg so I can't pick a size. it's weird! He wants to try the regular and I thought he would want black but he said silver. Weird how you auto get just the sport band and I see now since he ordered the 44 it comes with the larger band he doesn't like the sport band anyway I am hoping his band he likes that he uses with his watch 3 will fit which the watch 3 is 45mm this is 44mm.

Edit: Just called Samsung she said I guess all the bands are sold out but I think just realized their better off just giving the cheaper regular sport band with the watch. I showed my husband mine and he was looking at his and decided he wanted the classic cause of the stainless steel and she offered us 10% so we ordered it. And the Classic is 46 I believe compared to his 3 which was 45.

And you only have to turn in the watch itself you can keep your band so it turns out I cancelled my order which wasn't coming until 9/10 cause i guess the silver band is on back order and I re-ordered and the only choice now is a white band which is fine and now I am getting my order 8/31. Samsung said old bands will fit and my husband can use the band he likes that's on his watch 3 so were all good. Am excited now can't wait to try out wear os.

Last edited:

kbboykin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
So if my husband has the Watch 3 now but told me once he liked my A2 better with the on screen bezel do you think he will like the non classic in the bigger size? I am wanting to get him one too. He doesn't know I already ordered I haven't seen him due to our work shifts and he isn't into upgrading and having the latest like me but for 99 plus 50 in credit on accessories it's a good deal. Just not sure he'll like the regular I have to tell him about it 1st and see if he'll want the classic. But at 1st it told me mine would ship 8/26 I didn't order then it was sold out and the next am it was available but now I have to wait till 9/17.

I have this cover over my watch it slides right on I dont have a screen protector i need to find the same ones on Amazon for the new watch. I hope everyone likes it.

Not sure about your hubby. I have small wrists, so the A2 and soon GW4 feels less bulky on my wrist for a man. I debated after I got the A2, then the GW3 about the bezel. I got the GW3 for the bezel, but could have just stuck with the A2. I don't find the capacitive bezel too awkward, but then that's just me. And you're right, couldn't pass on these deal. Keeping the GW3 LTE and A2 LTE keeps me in Tizen, while the GW4 allows me to go back to Wear OS. I wish I would have known Samsung's intention to go to Wear OS before I bought the Skagen Falster 3 that I use for some medical apps that Tizen doesn't provide.

Last edited:

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Not sure about your hubby. I have small wrists, so the A2 and soon GW4 feels less bulky on my wrist for a man. I debated after I got the A2, then the GW3 about the bezel. I got the GW3 for the bezel, but could have just stuck with the A2. I don't find the capacitive bezel too awkward, but then that's just me. And you're right, couldn't pass on these deal. Keeping the GW3 LTE and A2 LTE keeps me in Tizen, while the GW4 allows me to go back to Wear OS. I wish I would have known Samsung's intention to go to Wear OS before I bought the Skagen Falster 3 that I use for some medical apps that Tizen doesn't provide.

Well my husband loves his watch 3 and it's black with silver and it's stainless steel and a shiny silver he saw my aluminum A2 and said oh I like mine better. But the Classic 4 is all black or all silver so he decided to get black I think. I want the pink gold one now to be different but it's too late oh well. I have the silver A2 now got a good deal on an open boxed one at BB. Had ordered new black one and went to pick it up they didn't have it. But we both got great deals and are happy to try wear os.

ChumpChange

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I did the same. Traded in my GA2 for the GW4 on pre-order. It originally stated it would be delivered by 9/3. Then I received an email from Samsung on 8/19 saying it was still on schedule and I would be notified if it changed. I logged in this morning and it says it'll be delivered by 9/17.

ZohanRash

Nov 23, 2018
Visit site
The Galaxy Watch4 is pretty good with the required specs at a reasonable price. I like this watch and I would say it is better than the Apple Watch.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Well here's a caveat that might be a deal breaker for some. Since Galaxy Watch 4 runs on Wear OS that means you'll need to use Wear OS watch faces that are available from the Google Play Store. Which means if you've purchased watch faces from the Galaxy Store then you'll lose those. Also what I've noticed, unless I'm missing something, the watch faces since made for Wear OS is not compatible with Samsung Health only Google Fit. So if you use Samsung Health to track your fitness, sleep etc. Like I do then there will be discrepancies between your step count on the watch face which is pretty annoying.

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I read a glowing review of the Watch 4 Classic the other day and was ready to reconsider "upgrading" from my AW2. Then I just read the last post and now I am less than enthused about the idea. I mean, does the 4 do anything my AW2 doesn't, and if so, do I need whatever that may be? Currently I use my watch primarily for (obviously) the time, wake up alarm, and tracking my hikes. The rest of it (BP, heart rate, sleep, etc.) I can live without. I think Samsung stepped in it by moving over to Wear OS and abandoning Tizen. I would have much rather seen them improve Tizen instead.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz