AT&T Galaxy S8 USB-C Charging - No Fast Charge??

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Hey, I just got my S8+ over the weekend and am at work where I have a Laptop/Docking Station with a USB-C port (not USB to USB-C, a USB-C to USB-C) and every time I plug in my phone, it starts with Fast Charging and then just goes to a SLOW SLOW charge.

No matter what I set in the USB settings it will not keep it on Fast Charge mode. I have installed the latest drivers from Sansung, but nothing is helping. Any ideas?

Laptop: Latitude 7480
Docking Station: Dell Thunderbolt Dock - TB16

Thanks all!

edit:Adding additional information

First off, thanks for the answers and suggestions. Here is some additional information that you asked for.

• Laptop has USB-3.1
  • I am not using the original Cable as I am using a USB-C to USB-C cable tat did not come with the phone.
  • With the Wall Charger, it does Fast Charge
  • USB Settings is set to Charge Only
  • I will have to go to my truck to get the original cable, and will test with that

Last edited:

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
This is a real bummer. Friends here have the Google Pixel phones and they have no issues with the fast charging, but with Samsung, it seems like it was an after thought to put USB-C in there and then cripple it.

I watch my friends phone connected to my laptop (USB-C) charge from 30% to 80% in minutes.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
This is a real bummer. Friends here have the Google Pixel phones and they have no issues with the fast charging, but with Samsung, it seems like it was an after thought to put USB-C in there and then cripple it.

I watch my friends phone connected to my laptop (USB-C) charge from 30% to 80% in minutes.
Yeah not sure why their Pixel works but your phone doesn't. If I plug into the Pixel XL charger via brick and USB c cable it fast charges.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Not sure what the issue is if the other phones do fast charge. Are those phones using the same cord? Originally thought the laptop power output wasn't strong enough

My s8plus fast charges but I usually have it plugged into a wall end adapter to either a power strip or my car with a car charger adapter. Sometimes usb-c and sometimes micro usb w/usb-c adapter

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I believe the pixel XL and S8 use different fast charge standards. S8 is Qualcomm quick charge 2.0. pixel XL uses the USB c power delivery standards. Your laptop dock probably only supports USB c PD, and not Qualcomm quick charge. This is the issue

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I believe the pixel XL and S8 use different fast charge standards. S8 is Qualcomm quick charge 2.0. pixel XL uses the USB c power delivery standards. Your laptop dock probably only supports USB c PD, and not Qualcomm quick charge. This is the issue
If the laptop supported PD it'd be fast charging the phone. It's most likely a USB 2 port with a type c slot and so putting out less wattage than QC 2 wants.

GizmoEV

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
When using the dedicated USB-C charger that came with my Microsoft Lumia 950XL the S8+ charges at the same rate as charging from a 2.4A USB charging brick. The Lumia 950XL charges at the full 3A of the dedicated USB-C charger so Samsung definitely didn't build in the higher current rate of USB-C. :-(

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
A simple test for USB 2 or 3 should be to push a very large file and use a stopwatch. USB 3 will finish the file in about a third of the time as 2.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Check the specs on your laptop and check the power output of your USB ports.

Not all devices that have USB-C ports implement full USB-C specs.

P.S.

Here are the USB specs for a Latitude 7480

USB
• Two USB 3.0
• One USB 3.0 with PowerShare
• One DisplayPort over USB Type-C (optional Thunderbolt 3)

Your USB-C is for audio/video. You're not going to get fast charging from any of your USB ports.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah not sure why their Pixel works but your phone doesn't. If I plug into the Pixel XL charger via brick and USB c cable it fast charges.
Does it still charge quickly with the screen on too? Thinking about switching to USB PD instead of adaptive fast charging for this reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001