USB-C on the iPhone 15 might not be what you think

bradavon

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site
On the other hand, mandates of this sort can stifle innovation

Urgh only an American website would say this. It's not innovation to force users to use a cable that's maximum speed is still USB2.

All people want to do is charge their device with the same cable. Sure it would be nice if all devices with USB-C worked the same but it's unnecessary because a phone isn't a laptop isn't a digital camera.

This is a win for everyone. Sure I get government control on big business, Americans just dislike as a rule but when its common sense.

No one likes iPhones and Android phones don't use the same chargers. No one likes having tonnes of messaging apps to use.

Where is the American government forcing Big Tech to play nice? It's the EU doing the leg work.

Reactions: fuzzylumpkin

fivish#

Sep 29, 2023
Visit site
I recall a few years ago that the EU was making USB Micro (just a cable) the standard for chargers. So how come USB C which is proprietary (needs a license) and chipped (not so easy to clone) is the EU standard? It offers no advantage over the Lightning. So now I have an iPhone with Lightning an Android (Nokia) with Micro and an Android (Sony) with C.

fivish#

Sep 29, 2023
Visit site
This article could be summed up as

"Apple will change the USB-C interface enough so they can gouge customers with Apple branded cables"

And people will line up like sheep to buy said Apple branded USB-C cables.
I have the cables that came with my iPhone 13 pro and AppleWatch but they all have to plug into my 8 way 2.4A smart charger which has USB A sockets. A USB C to A adaptor (£1.99) sorts out the interface. Alternative cables from ebay/amazon cost no more than £3. Dont buy Apple cables.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I recall a few years ago that the EU was making USB Micro (just a cable) the standard for chargers. So how come USB C which is proprietary (needs a license) and chipped (not so easy to clone) is the EU standard? It offers no advantage over the Lightning. So now I have an iPhone with Lightning an Android (Nokia) with Micro and an Android (Sony) with C.
Because you're wrong.

USB-C is exactly as proprietary as microUSB, and offers many advantages over the lightning port