USB music through car stereo

OHbenhamean

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
So this has been discussed over and over for other phones, but I'm wondering if anyone has found a solution. All i want to do is play music that's stored offline into my car stereo via usb, and of course charge at the same time.

I plugged in the bionic to test it out and set it to mass storage device mode (or w/e) and could access what looked like the internal storage, but couldn't get it to switch over to sd card, where all my music is! It's a new stereo so maybe I haven't read the manual enough. I know there is a car dock accessory and I'm interested to see how that works.

And 3.5mm is a last resort option b/c I'm an audiophile that doesn't want the phones crappy DAC pumping through my system.

qonic

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
the phone is not a 100% mp3 player i tried the usb too you will have to use the 3.5mm to the radio aux.
it does sound better than you think and the phone has custom sound settings you can try. Now if you stream

bad sounding mp3 songs thats what you will hear coming through your system.

perkdog65

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I use my Bionic USB connection to play through my car stereo all the time....but it's a Ford and it uses SYNC system to connect to the phone.

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
I stream Spotify with a cassette adapter and it sounds great. The bass thumps and the highs are crisp.

SirGeorgeKillian

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
My Atrix car dock came with a USB cable that had a 1/8" female on the USB end. I used the cable on my Bionic dock and it works great. If you have a 1/8" input on your receiver that is. At least you arent having to plug in all kinds of wires into the phone. Basically it gets the audio from your phones USB while it charges.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

Storm2Cool

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
If you can bluetooth your phone to your stereo, you should be able to stream the music to your car stereo. My car stereo takes an SD card so I put all my songs on it.

nitephlight

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
once OP said the magic word i knew i had to chime in: audiophile.

no bluetooth, no analog out through 3.5 jack... you want music data to stream out the microUSB, but unfortunately DAC is not being bypassed even with this elusive Y cable. i believe it works similar to the HD dock with 3.5 jack, your music data is still being converted through the phone. this is not to say, however, that you will not hear an improvement in audio quality -- it seems as if this method fixes some of the ground loop issues that were supposedly fixed several updates ago (i still here the out of it when playback ends and noisefloor SHOULD be inaudible..)

the more infuriating part is that our SoC OMAP chip literally supports digital output of audio, the phone itself and android device drivers are the mitigating factor. i have long since abandoned MP3 in favor of FLAC (or streaming uncompressed from home media server, thank GOD for unlimited 4G data lol), but unless you have a head unit capable of decoding lossless formats directly from mounted storage, its a moot point.

as far as i can tell from countless nights of research, unless you have a microUSB to S/PDIF adapter (which does not exist for Motorola phones to my knowledge) you've hit your brick wall in terms of audio quality. my current set up is a software rig to at least maximize quality before analog output occurs:

UPnP Home Media Server > Streams uncompressed 24bit > PlugPlayer (app market) grabs signal
(however, if you want to do this over 4G you have to set up a VPN so that your phone is considered local network...)
THEN
PlugPlayer has an option to use an external playback app rather than ty built in one
>
Have Neutron MP player grab that stream and use its audiophile grade rendering core to output

makes you want to start burning CDs again, no?