Useable screen space on HTC One (M8) less than M7

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Regardless, I actually like the button layout of M7 and HOX, everybody likes the screen to be really big, I don't get why HTC logo has to occupy its own row space on M8. It would be interesting to know the motivation behind this design.
The stated reasoning is that it's necessary to support the tech that makes the speakers and screen work as they do. I feel that's a lazy explanation. I'm sure there were tradeoffs, but there are plenty of device makers that have clean, glass fronts. HTC, the most design conscious device maker in the Android world, should have been able to pull this off.

I really wanted to be persuaded to get this device as I love my M7, but I don't think it's gonna happen. I think I'll wait a year and see what the next round of devices looks like.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
The stated reasoning is that it's necessary to support the tech that makes the speakers and screen work as they do. I feel that's a lazy explanation. I'm sure there were tradeoffs, but there are plenty of device makers that have clean, glass fronts. HTC, the most design conscious device maker in the Android world, should have been able to pull this off.

I really wanted to be persuaded to get this device as I love my M7, but I don't think it's gonna happen. I think I'll wait a year and see what the next round of devices looks like.

Well you really are missing out on a completely refined version of the m7. They took all the downfalls of the original One and improved on them in every way

Posted via Android Central App

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Well you really are missing out on a completely refined version of the m7. They took all the downfalls of the original One and improved on them in every way

Except the camera which is the one that mattered to me. That said, I haven't actually held the M8 yet, but since the camera was the major failing of the M7 for me I'm not sure that holding the M8 will matter. I'll check it out in person in the next couple days.

wafcarl

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I bought the phone 3 times and have sent it back 3 times. In wanted to love it, I bought everything for it.
Sadly as original poster said, the screen seams even smaller for such a vast phone. The on screen buttons actually push the dock further up the screen, so with the bezel and that, you lose a lot of screen space. Now I don't like Samsung, but when I took it back and looked at that screen, it was like why did htc go this way. Perfect scenario was on a rooted M7, you could get the same set up using htc as home button and free all that screen space. The camera I found fine, I'm no photographer, so the ease of use etc is terrific. Just couldn't stop staring at all that wasted screen and asking why? Oh well.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I bought the phone 3 times and have sent it back 3 times. In wanted to love it, I bought everything for it.
Sadly as original poster said, the screen seams even smaller for such a vast phone. The on screen buttons actually push the dock further up the screen, so with the bezel and that, you lose a lot of screen space. Now I don't like Samsung, but when I took it back and looked at that screen, it was like why did htc go this way. Perfect scenario was on a rooted M7, you could get the same set up using htc as home button and free all that screen space. The camera I found fine, I'm no photographer, so the ease of use etc is terrific. Just couldn't stop staring at all that wasted screen and asking why? Oh well.

You can root the m8 and have the on screen buttons disappear when not in use.

Also Google wants android phones to have on screen buttons. There are a lot of benefits to them. There's less of a chance of them going bad, they move with you in whatever position you're holding the phone, and can eventually be customised. Personally I like them better. What happens when the home button on the s5 stops working? The m8 will never have that problem, as long as the screen is still working.

Just my two cents

kingvanimal

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I for one like on screen buttons. And the only time i want the buttons to go away is when i am watching videos or netflix etc. And it does exactly that :)

jmallen4411

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Why are people so willing to accept what these developers throw at us. Really!? Wake up and seen that the M8 should have had off screen buttons. This is acceptable for tablets but is a developer cheat for phones. And are you seriously are proud that what is important to you is video??? For those of us who have been using "smart phones" for over a decade now for serious business use most all phone are an epic fail unless you are willing to make major changes or modify and write your own Rom. Hey I have an idea... how about a phone that's primarily developed to make calls email and text easily but also the ability to video and Facebook. BTW I would classify looking something up on the web important enough to hide the screen buttons.

whitelunchbag

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Why are people so willing to accept what these developers throw at us. Really!? Wake up and seen that the M8 should have had off screen buttons. This is acceptable for tablets but is a developer cheat for phones. And are you seriously are proud that what is important to you is video??? For those of us who have been using "smart phones" for over a decade now for serious business use most all phone are an epic fail unless you are willing to make major changes or modify and write your own Rom. Hey I have an idea... how about a phone that's primarily developed to make calls email and text easily but also the ability to video and Facebook. BTW I would classify looking something up on the web important enough to hide the screen buttons.

If the M8 had off screen buttons, I wouldn't have bought one

Posted by my Nexus 7 (2013)

Lok52

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site

You know what it means if an Android phone doesn't have the features you want? Don't buy it. I bought the M8 because it has features that are very important to me. Go find an Android or IOS or Windows phone that fits what you want and buy it. That will be a lot more productive than complaining here because this phone doesn't do what you want.

Dumb1

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
OP thanks for bringing this up. I'm currently reading as much as I can about this phone as I'm due an upgrade and need to make sure i get the phone that works for me as I will do the carrier contract thing. I did not know that the buttons stayed on the screen not a deal breaker but it is good information for people like me who are researching a next purchase. The M8 is at the top of my list with the G3 and Nexus 5 (I have a S3 and time to try something different) hard decision so again thanks for posting.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The M8 is at the top of my list with the G3 and Nexus 5 (I have a S3 and time to try something different) hard decision so again thanks for posting.

Regardless of what everyone else has said, it all comes down to personal preference. I personally like the button layout because having them where the logo is (which I also like for placement) would place them too low for me to use one handed due to having to extend my thumb so far down. Something like that may or may not be of concern to you. With how fervently some of the detractors are against this design, I suspect if the buttons were where the logo is, they'd complain that the speakers should be rear facing to stretch the display right out to the edge. You just can't please some people.

As for your list I quoted, here's a couple things to consider when comparing this to the G3. The processor on the G3 isn't much faster than the M8 but has a much higher pixel count on the display. So gaming and video lag could be a concern. Obviously that's not the only thing that determines performance, but the processor is close enough to the M8 that it could be a risk.

The G3 marketing tries to promote its speaker as being relatively high powered, but it's still a single rear facing speaker. I'm big on sound quality, so now that I've used the M8, I doubt anything else will compare without being both stereo and front facing speakers.

Again, it's all personal preference and I'm just pointing out a couple extra things to consider. I looked at the G3, but the above reasons were the biggest deciding factors for me in going with the M8. I'm not familiar with the Nexus lineup and can't offer any opinion on it.

spetzie

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
lol you need to come from the iphone 5s like I did. EVERY android phone including the m8 has huge screen real estate when your used to that size phone :)

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
OP, thank you for this thread. I have until the 14th before i move on to my next phone and i truly considered the M8. Wife has the m7, which was mine at first lol, but I always wondered if the m8 was a true 5inch and played with it and nope.

Plus i like the screen pics from you and the Kevin guy to which his pics made your point stronger because I knew what you meant. I also saw all the technical info thrown at you to which doesnt matter. The PICS was enough.

You never know when someone is upgrading or looking for a phone so thank you again for this thread despite some of the hi-jacking that went on!

Also appreciate this thread still being open.

ram1220

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I also want to thank the OP for this thread. I have an M7 and have decided to wait until the M9 or whatever it's called comes out. The only thing about my M7 I don't like is the camera. The M8 hasn't improved the camera enough for me to buy one. And I don't want a bigger phone only to have the same amount of useable screen as my M7. Thank you again to the OP.

Dominic Asamoah

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the OP. I have done the measurement, my best friend has the M7 and I have the M8.I would rather have capacitive buttons and have a usable 5 inch screen than an on-screen buttons taking precious screen space.

Posted via the Android Central App

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
This is a debate regarding on screen buttons. The M8 has a true 5" screen. When playing videos and such, it automatically goes full screen. Most android phones do this now. Samsung and the new Droid phones have capacitive buttons. I am torn. Functionally, the on screen buttons work better and tie in to the system more fluently. But I am envious of full screen phones like Samsung, the screen just looks so much bigger.

Personally, despite the on screen buttons and reduction in "usable" screen space, The smoother design, better internals, and the return of the SD card slot makes the M8>>>>M7

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I would rather have capacitive buttons and have a usable 5 inch screen than an on-screen buttons taking precious screen space.

I'd hardly call the little amount space the on screen buttons use as "precious." Is it really that inconvenient to loose what amounts to about 2 lines of text? It'd be like someone complaining the Windows task bar taking up usable screen space on their monitor.

ChristianStella

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
Anybody else have kind of a nightmare with internet videos on the m8? Sometimes I simply can't get the on screen buttons to go away. Also, sometimes a website's mobile theme covers up the top of a video, even when I am playing it full screen.

On screen buttons are a non-issue for me when they disappear as they often do, but there are definitely times when things just don't work in Chrome or the stock browser. Maybe it's bad mobile site coding?

If Chrome dynamically hid the on screen buttons like it hides the address bar, they'd definitely be of no concern whatsoever. They disappear in all other apps I want them to disappear in.

Posted via the Android Central App

gustav30

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Well there are some immersive apps in the play store and if you are rooted some immersive xposed mods which give you the full screen and will hide the on screen buttons.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boxxtronix