Question Uses for an old Android laying around gathering dust

cmyoch

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
A year ago, I finally upgraded from my Pixel 2XL to a Pixel 7. I absolutely loved my 2XL but the camera quit functioning and would reboot my phone every time I opened the camera app. It is too nice of a device to keep in a desk drawer gathering dust. I've researched what I could possibly do with the device but most suggestions have been for tasks that require the camera (security cam, dash cam, etc.)

I'm curious what you guys have used your old devices for? I'm not really interested in making it a gaming device but I'm thinking of having it on my desk as some sort of monitor to display the weather, news, etc.

It currently is running Android 11 and is still a great device overall.

Thanks!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
A few suggestions on what I've used:
  1. Overpriced picture frame. I use Google Photos' Auto-created albums with my family's faces + pets and just use that to cycle through pictures.
  2. Media server. I've used Plex and Channels DVR to just use the phone as a media server.
  3. DVR. Channels DVR and (haven't tried on a phone as a 'server' but might work) PlayOn TV will let you record from streaming services and use the server device as a DVR.
  4. Smart Home panel.
  5. Ultra-overpriced Nightstand clock.
  6. DYI Google Assistant speaker. Plug to a more capable speaker and voila! Google Assistant speaker and Chromecast 'target' device.
  7. Remote replacement. If you have devices that support WiFi remotes (Roku, Chromecast, smart TVs, etc.) you can use the phone as a remote for all.
  8. Doorstop.
  9. Makeshift flying chancla for when you get mad at your SO. :D

cmyoch

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the ideas. Yes, it is an expensive paperweight but a paperweight nonetheless. I'd like to give it some sort of life. A media server or smart panel may be my best bet so far.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomasgabel