Using second android tablet as extended display for android tablet?

rhapdog

May 1, 2015
Visit site
Everywhere I look, people are explaining how to use your Android tablet as a second display for a Windows PC or MAC. I don't want to do that. I hate using Windows.

I have multiple Android tablets (Tab S7 is my primary) as well as multiple Android phones. Everything is Samsung. I want to use a second device, either my Android Phone or another Android Tablet, to be an "extended" display for my Galaxy Tab S7, preferably in DeX mode, and running one set of apps on one display and another set of apps on another display.

I know I can buy an HDMI monitor to do this, but I've already spent my budget, and am needing to purchase a new car, dishwasher, and refrigerator all at once. I'd like to be able to use what I already have.

I need an Android only solution. No root.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Windows (and Mac, probably) can extend the display, the version of Linux (the operating system Android runs in) that Android uses can't, so you'd have to rewrite the kernel (that's the Linux part) to allow for an extended display.

rhapdog

May 1, 2015
Visit site
Windows (and Mac, probably) can extend the display, the version of Linux (the operating system Android runs in) that Android uses can't, so you'd have to rewrite the kernel (that's the Linux part) to allow for an extended display.

I've tried it with a standard HDMI display. It works for me.

Unfortunately, my TV is mounted on the wall and is too large and too high up to make a decent monitor for my tablet. But it does allow me to display different apps on different screens like an extended display. I don't like just mirroring. That doesn't help with productivity. I don't want to mirror a presentation, I just want extra screen space for those times I need to be more productive.

Android 10 does indeed allow for running different apps on different displays. Hence all the "folding" and dual screen display devices that have come out. Yes, that's enabled in Android 10's kernel.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Summer_glow