Using SideSync to Mirror Phone to Laptop

keoommen

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to share...

I'm pretty impressed with DeX, but I prefer to mirror my phone to my Surface Book in order to use the attached keyboard and mouse (vs switching between monitors and devices). Samsung is officially not supporting SideSync on the Note 9, and Google Play will tell you SideSync is not compatible with your device, but loading the apk worked perfectly! I've used it for days without issue.

If you haven't tried SideSync before, it will mirror your phone via USB or WiFi, and you'll be access/use all of your apps. Total game changer for me as work on my laptop and still use my phone without picking it up all the time or glancing at it constantly to review notifications. I've also become addicted to texting with my keyboard... to the point that texting without it is annoying (see screeching monkey on my back).

You'll need the app on your phone and computer to make it work. If you're interested, here are the downloads!

APK
http://sirius.androidapks.com/rdata...droid.sidesync30_v4.7.8.2-529_Android-4.4.apk

PC/Mac
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...samsung.com%2Fus%2Fsidesync%2F&token=MpBtx8_v

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if it was pre-installed on mine or if, for some reason, the Note 9 was listed as incompatible recently, but I didn't install any APKs and it's on my phone (either already there or re-installed when Google re-downloaded my apps automagically at set up).

Also, officially, Samsung has listed SideSync as incompatible with newer devices since the Note 8 line (those even got a notification saying so)...however the app was still available and still works. So maybe it will stop at some point or features will be unavailable.

Flow attempts to do something similar, but IIRC it doesn't allow for phone mirroring, only data transfer and using your computer to check and reply to notifications.

keoommen

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if it was pre-installed on mine or if, for some reason, the Note 9 was listed as incompatible recently, but I didn't install any APKs and it's on my phone (either already there or re-installed when Google re-downloaded my apps automagically at set up).

Also, officially, Samsung has listed SideSync as incompatible with newer devices since the Note 8 line (those even got a notification saying so)...however the app was still available and still works. So maybe it will stop at some point or features will be unavailable.

Flow attempts to do something similar, but IIRC it doesn't allow for phone mirroring, only data transfer and using your computer to check and reply to notifications.

I agree; given Samsung's official announcement, SideSync may just stop working one day. Until then, I SideSync on.

I tried Flow, but it was a lot more clunky for my needs. I hope it evolves to be an effective replacement one day. Or perhaps they'll let us hook Dex to laptops and not just monitors.

MajestikVisions

Sep 6, 2018
Visit site
Hiya :) Thank you for this post as I was able to get it all loaded. However when I screen mirror onto my PC it mirrors landscaped but in a portrait window (tiny screen lots of black). I have checked all the settings on the phone, phone app and pc app and I can't work out how to get it to show in portrait. It was working fine the day before with my Note 8 :( Anyone know how to resolve this pllleeeeaassseee? Thank you :)

biotron2000

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Flow is terrible. It constantly crashes for no reason. SideSync was great when you could use USB. I can use it on WiFi at home, but not at work, so I need a different solution. I haven't tried TeamViewer in a couple of weeks, but it just gave me a black screen when I tried it before.

keoommen

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Hiya :) Thank you for this post as I was able to get it all loaded. However when I screen mirror onto my PC it mirrors landscaped but in a portrait window (tiny screen lots of black). I have checked all the settings on the phone, phone app and pc app and I can't work out how to get it to show in portrait. It was working fine the day before with my Note 8 :( Anyone know how to resolve this pllleeeeaassseee? Thank you :)

I've got a couple of potentially stupid solutions (depending on what you've already tried):

1) With the screen mirrored, click on the down arrow icon on the top left corner and then select screen rotate (see pic).
note9 ss.jpg

2) On your phone, lock the rotation in portrait mode and then connect via SideSync.

keoommen

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Flow is terrible. It constantly crashes for no reason. SideSync was great when you could use USB. I can use it on WiFi at home, but not at work, so I need a different solution. I haven't tried TeamViewer in a couple of weeks, but it just gave me a black screen when I tried it before.

I can still connect via USB. I wonder what's going on with your connection. Does it just do nothing?

monkUsa

Sep 22, 2018
Visit site
Ahh... I see your point on the DeX paid solution. With the Note 9 (and probably future Samsung phones) the DeX feature is built-in and you can use any Type-C to HDMI cable for a connection to a TV. But, of course, Samsung 'suggests' that you will get best results from using the official hardware and accessories.

selatrainings

Oct 3, 2018
Visit site
Hello, When opening sidesync after sideload on Note9, this is what I see: sidesync.JPG

When I click Phone Screen button, my screen does not show. I get a blank black screen on my device and still no screen on my pc. Any settings preventing it from happening?

I have Note 9 for T-Mobile running the lastest software.

Thank you!

Dan Robinson4

Oct 8, 2018
Visit site

Got the same problem... Which is very annoying. I rely on Sidesync for productivity when working from the office - Flow is pointless as I need to be able to jump from a couple of phone only apps to desktop only apps.

I could overcome this if I could get a decent Android emulator work with an emulated Bluetooth function (one of the apps insists on BT being active). Tried to use VM ware but just can't get on with it.

DEX is great for my Tab S4, but when using the Note 9 the screen mirroring is vital.

Last edited:

kykimura

Dec 5, 2018
Visit site
Just wanted to share...

I'm pretty impressed with DeX, but I prefer to mirror my phone to my Surface Book in order to use the attached keyboard and mouse (vs switching between monitors and devices). Samsung is officially not supporting SideSync on the Note 9, and Google Play will tell you SideSync is not compatible with your device, but loading the apk worked perfectly! I've used it for days without issue.

If you haven't tried SideSync before, it will mirror your phone via USB or WiFi, and you'll be access/use all of your apps. Total game changer for me as work on my laptop and still use my phone without picking it up all the time or glancing at it constantly to review notifications. I've also become addicted to texting with my keyboard... to the point that texting without it is annoying (see screeching monkey on my back).

You'll need the app on your phone and computer to make it work. If you're interested, here are the downloads!

APK
http://sirius.androidapks.com/rdata...droid.sidesync30_v4.7.8.2-529_Android-4.4.apk

PC/Mac
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...samsung.com%2Fus%2Fsidesync%2F&token=YfNZwJeU

Hi! I recently got a Note 9 and am trying to connect it to my Windows 10 work PC using Sidesync and a USB cable (no wifi available, just a wired connection for the PC). Unfortunately, I have not had any success. It seems like the PC and/or phone are not recognizing each other as Sidesync on both devices do nothing. Here are some notes:

1) Samsung USB drivers have been reloaded multiple times.
2) The PC sees the phone. Sidesync on both devices does not.
3) I'm using the usb cable that came with the phone (e.g. also used to charge the phone connected to a plug).
4) I installed the apk and PC pgm provided by keoommen above.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

Kyle

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi! I recently got a Note 9 and am trying to connect it to my Windows 10 work PC using Sidesync and a USB cable (no wifi available, just a wired connection for the PC). Unfortunately, I have not had any success. It seems like the PC and/or phone are not recognizing each other as Sidesync on both devices do nothing. Here are some notes:

1) Samsung USB drivers have been reloaded multiple times.
2) The PC sees the phone. Sidesync on both devices does not.
3) I'm using the usb cable that came with the phone (e.g. also used to charge the phone connected to a plug).
4) I installed the apk and PC pgm provided by keoommen above.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

Kyle

Same here... tried all kinds of stuff last night - no luck. Works fine over WiFi though! Not what I wanted it to do... it used to be great when I could just plug it in and go! ???