Using volume keys to skip tracks

jonp

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
Does someone know how to use the volume keys to make music skip tracks? My BlackBerry did this, and I miss this feature (and also being able to pause music, but I think it would need another key for that).
I've looked online and only see suggestions about apps to install for this feature - hoping there's a setting somewhere.
Thanks!

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks B.Diddy, but that app says it requires the phone to be rooted. I'd rather not have to do that... I'm hoping there's another way to do this.

Posted via the Android Central App

I believe only certain functions of the app require root (it specifies "switching on long press," although I don't know what kind of switching). One of the reviews says "The only app on non-rooted phones that does this." You could give it a try, since it's free.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Skipping songs on Pandora via the volume button was the ONLY feature I liked about my BB Storm 2. too bad we cant do that with a stock Android device.

ankit_ruag

Jun 12, 2016
Visit site
I always wanted to have an app which controls music with volume keys but i could not find any which does it smoothly. So I developed my own :p . My app Frinky Music Controller on GOOGLE PLAY controls music with volume keys and smartly controls music volume. It supports more 200 music players including poweramp, musixmatch, doubletwist, la musique, rocket player, blackplayer, pi music player, and Spotify. It works on both rooted and non-rooted phones.
Some features of the app are :
Next Song -- press volume UP key single time to play next song.
Previous Song -- use volume DOWN key to play previous song.
Control Volume -- when we want to control music volume , most of the time we press volume key more than once (next time when you adjust volume , feel it) . So the app uses this tendency of users as a function to control music volume i.e press volume key more than once to adjust volume.
Stop song -- Oh! you play music in your class in absence of professor here comes the professor .... turn off the music quickly by UP+UP+DOWN+DOWN key action (it takes less time than muting the volume and unlocking the screen :D .
Sleep Timer : Single sleep timer for all your music apps.
Manually control app's service : well to understand this feature you will have to download the app.
It consumes very less amount of ram.

Messerschmitt

Jan 2, 2017
Visit site
I always wanted to have an app which controls music with volume keys but i could not find any which does it smoothly. So I developed my own :p . My app Frinky Music Controller on GOOGLE PLAY controls music with volume keys and smartly controls music volume. It supports more 200 music players including poweramp, musixmatch, doubletwist, la musique, rocket player, blackplayer, pi music player, and Spotify. It works on both rooted and non-rooted phones.
Some features of the app are :
Next Song -- press volume UP key single time to play next song.
Previous Song -- use volume DOWN key to play previous song.
Control Volume -- when we want to control music volume , most of the time we press volume key more than once (next time when you adjust volume , feel it) . So the app uses this tendency of users as a function to control music volume i.e press volume key more than once to adjust volume.
Stop song -- Oh! you play music in your class in absence of professor here comes the professor .... turn off the music quickly by UP+UP+DOWN+DOWN key action (it takes less time than muting the volume and unlocking the screen :D .
Sleep Timer : Single sleep timer for all your music apps.
Manually control app's service : well to understand this feature you will have to download the app.
It consumes very less amount of ram.

I only registered to thank you for the app. Works well. Well except when the volume is at max, it will skip 1 more song ahead, then stop. Skipping backwards works fine (probably it doesn't if the volume is at minimum). Fixed by reducing the volume by 1 notch.