Verizon btw Verizon new call filter?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
activated the service this morning. so far got 2 spam calls today that came through looking like a local call. I guess this service doesn't work real well lol

It's not going to catch everything if that's what you were expecting. It's building a database through user reporting along with other algorithms

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
The problem I see is that they (scammers) use a different number every time they call. I get at least 1 or 2 calls from my area code a day (sometimes as many as 4), each one regarding "lowering my interest rate due to a great payment history"... funny that they all have east Indian accents....I digress.. When I ask which card they are calling about, they hang up. Each time they call I block the number. I have blocked 184 calls so far.
My point, it's going to be hard to create an effective data base when they never use the same number. Yet I remain hopeful that something will be done.

Thinair1911

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
The problem I see is that they (scammers) use a different number every time they call. I get at least 1 or 2 calls from my area code a day (sometimes as many as 4), each one regarding "lowering my interest rate due to a great payment history"... funny that they all have east Indian accents....I digress.. When I ask which card they are calling about, they hang up. Each time they call I block the number. I have blocked 184 calls so far.
My point, it's going to be hard to create an effective data base when they never use the same number. Yet I remain hopeful that something will be done.

My experience shows many scamers also are using disconnected numbers. I tested this buy calling right back to these numbers and getting a disconnected message from the carrier. Of course the carrier will not say how this can happen.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I get a lot of numbers pre-identified as Spam. It's not a perfect system but it's good that it's being addressed.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
My experience shows many scamers also are using disconnected numbers. I tested this buy calling right back to these numbers and getting a disconnected message from the carrier. Of course the carrier will not say how this can happen.

It's a actually a simple answer. They are spoofing numbers from a database of unassigned numbers.

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm signed up but waiting for it to kick in (I think Caller Name ID needs to be updated to the new app). In the mean time, I have a 100% foolproof way to identify them. I got my number when I lived in another state that I have no contacts with anymore. Scammers spoof your local area code, so anything from my own number's area code is certified spam.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

Try the app SHOULD I ANSWER. It's data base is user updated. It works pretty well.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
That's the answer... I'm moving... LOL

I'm signed up but waiting for it to kick in (I think Caller Name ID needs to be updated to the new app). In the mean time, I have a 100% foolproof way to identify them. I got my number when I lived in another state that I have no contacts with anymore. Scammers spoof your local area code, so anything from my own number's area code is certified spam.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
this is crazy but since I've activated this service ive gotten MORE spam calls than before! I guess the free version is useless

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
this is crazy but since I've activated this service ive gotten MORE spam calls than before! I guess the free version is useless

The fact that you are getting more spam calls is not related to having the app installed. The paid version doesn't filter calls any differently.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I had the 3 dollar one and just dumped it. It was never of any use to me. I block any number I don't recognize. If they are legit they should leave a voicemail.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robot sirkit