Verizon Galaxy S3 won't connect via USB to my computer

Kim Stuart1

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Re: S3 won't connect via USB to my computer

I switched from Iphone as well to the Samsung S3. I love the screen size and photo quality and hate everything else. I have tried all the techniques to fix the phone so that it will connect to my macbook pro and my older windows based computer. Kies worked for a while then stopped. The loaded and Android app and it worked for a while. Now I have no way to get my data from my phone to my computer. I have to email my photos. So now it is worthless to use as a camera since I can not get my photos to my computer. When I plug into my computers it charges but never recognized that a phone is connected. HELP! I am about ready to throw the phone out the door and tell my kids to give me my iphone back.

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

I switched from Iphone as well to the Samsung S3. I love the screen size and photo quality and hate everything else. I have tried all the techniques to fix the phone so that it will connect to my macbook pro and my older windows based computer. Kies worked for a while then stopped. The loaded and Android app and it worked for a while. Now I have no way to get my data from my phone to my computer. I have to email my photos. So now it is worthless to use as a camera since I can not get my photos to my computer. When I plug into my computers it charges but never recognized that a phone is connected. HELP! I am about ready to throw the phone out the door and tell my kids to give me my iphone back.

Have you gone to the Samsung site and downloaded and installed the latest USB drivers for your S3 for your Windows computer (don't have a Mac, so can't speak to that)? When you plug the charging cable that you got with your S3 into the USB on the Windows system after installing the Samsung USB drivers for the S3, after a few seconds your S3 should appear as a USB device in "My Computer" or a top-level folder in Windows Explorer. This has been the key piece for me, currently using Windows 8.1 myself, but has worked in Windows 7, 8, and now 8.1.

One thing that you should see when your phone is plugged into your computer is that the "MTP" application should be running if all is well. You can verify that by going into "Settings" -> "Application Manager", and flip one screen to the right to get to "Running Applications". One of those should be the "MTP" application. If that isn't running, then you'll need to find out why.

It may be that you have a bad charging cable, one that's only good for charging your S3, but the USB part is broken, or maybe even not present. If you have another microUSB cable that you know works, like borrow one from someone else, you could also try that (after you're sure that you've installed the latest Samsung S3 USB drivers *smile*).

I used Kies for a while too, but it just didn't do what I needed to do, and seemed flaky and unreliable, so prefer to just view my phone as a USB device on my Windows computer and use other tools for backup, etc.

Vishal Sinha

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site

I have found a way, kind of fool-proof works for everyone including myself.
I Just did a factory reset.
Remove your SD card and then go onto backup and restores and do a factory reset.
Make sure when your phone restarts not to sign in to anything or connect it to any kind of network
and now try to connect it to your computer

Hope it helps, Has worked for at least a dozen of people I know.

endlessgalaxy

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site

HI there I tried the exact thing you said and im still having problems similar to the fellow who started this thread any idea how to help me ?
samsung kies wont recognise my galaxy s3

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

samsung kies wont recognise my galaxy s3
What version firmware is on your phone?
What version of Kies are you using?

When you connect your phone to the computer, does the computer beep? Do you see the USB icon in the Status bar on the phone?

Are you using the original data cable that came with your phone?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

SamMMeh

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site

You are my savior, i will abandon my wife tonight just to be with you. I spent 2 hours trying every way to get the driver working on windows but i completely forgotten about this step i took back when i rooted my phone.

grant_m2170

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site

How long is this supposed to take? It has been over an hour and it is still downloading. I own a Windows 8 laptop.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

How long does the downloading take ???? It says
How about starting at the beginning - what downloading? what says - the phone; some software on your computer?
How long is this supposed to take? It has been over an hour and it is still downloading.
Same here - how long is what supposed to take? What are you downloading?

We're not mind readers here.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Nick0889

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site

How about starting at the beginning - what downloading? what says - the phone; some software on your computer?Same here - how long is what supposed to take? What are you downloading?

We're not mind readers here.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

He's talking about being in download mode.

Posted via Android Central App

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Try dialing this on your phone ##3424#
You do realize that you're in the Verizon sub-forum? Those codes don't work on our phones.

dethfold

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site

problem happened to me suddenly, while i am with sprint, i did try some things i found to no avail for the past few hours. my friend woke up and i told him about it and we decided it might be the usb cord i was trying to use. it proved to be, as once he brought the one for his phone to me, i instantly mounted just like it is supposed to. the usb cord i was trying to use is from a car charger, and obviously not made to be compatible with transferring files. the problem could be as simple as this for some of you so i decided to register and post. hope it helps. and thanks everyone else for all your posts, helpful or not.

Samantha Ciarcia

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site

hi all, i've tried ALL of the above. new cables, restarting phone and computer, reinstalling usb drivers, debugging usb on phone, cleared cache in recovery mode, download/odin mode didn't result in anything when i tried to connect it to my laptop when it was in odin...
i am still getting not recognized usb device.
nothing shows on my phone although at one point it said it was connected as an installer but that was a dead end as well because i couldnt bring down the bar at the top to change to mass storage device.
gotta say im not impressed with this latest os update, i feel like it hid things from me.
phone worked perfectly well 2 days ago. now nothing. im so sad and frustrated ive been fighting this for hours now. need help please

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

at one point it said it was connected as an installer
At that point your computer was correctly configured - you need to go back and figure out what you did on the computer side to where it's no longer working.

What OS is on your PC?

angierta

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site

I haven't connected my S3 to my computer in some time. When I tried to connect it, a message popped up saying that the "USB connected device has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it". I tried starting my phone in download mode and that did not work. Made sure Kies software was up to date and still no go. Any suggestions??

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noniegreer74