Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Stock email app question

Rogus

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Understand I'm coming from the RAZR Maxx and it's os is a few generations behind. I also am aware there are other email apps and don't need or want recommendations of other email app options.

On my old Maxx the stock email app there was and menu option to "Select All". I don't see any such option on the DT. How would one go about emptying the Trash of a 100+ messages without that option? I have to select each individual message?

Thanks in advance.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Stock email app question

If there's a way to select all for deleting, I don't see it either. I'm thinking you might have to swipe through each email to delete them.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

I saw this same issue posted in one of the stickies at the top of the forum but also glad is has its own thread now. I spent a half-hour trying to figure this out today myself. I had 70 in my Trash and tried everything to get them all selected so I could delete. If I touched the colored letter on the left side of one of the emails it would get a check mark on it and put a check mark above in the header, but if you touched the one in the header it would not select all of them. Definitely a bug in this.

Pinzgauer

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site

The stock email is a useless piece of outdated crap. I don't get how it could be stock on a "flagship".

Coming from the Droid Maxx, I understand what you're talking about.
Then again the Maxx was on version 23-23 something, this is on 21.
I understand different models, still, there must be some correlation in terms of upgrade versions. If for nothing else than being current. Maybe not.
As a matter of fact, what the hell do I know anyway....

I had to resort using MailDroid.

Posted via the Android Central App

Fable

Android Rules
Nov 20, 2009
Visit site

This has been a stock issue since the OG. I honestly reported this back to Google years ago. Having use Sammy phones my last two purchases, I thought it had been fixed, but apparently only Samsung fixed it in their version.

That said - I have started using the following App:

myMail: The app works with any IMAP or POP3 account, including Gmail, iCloud, Me.com, Yahoo Mail, Outlook, AOL, and Hotmail.

I really like it.. its pretty slick, I would give it a try.

Jay Evans

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

You do know the new Gmail 5.0 now handles both IMAP, POP3 and Exchange accounts? Makes the standard email app superfluous.

fuddster

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site

I use the stock email app on my Droid Maxx, and the "Select All" option shows up when it wants to with no perceptible pattern. However, if I select one email manually and go back to the menu, the "Select All" option always appears.

Posted via Android Central App

Fable

Android Rules
Nov 20, 2009
Visit site

You do know the new Gmail 5.0 now handles both IMAP, POP3 and Exchange accounts? Makes the standard email app superfluous.

Dang I didn't know that... Just realized they aren't automatically pushing Gmail Updates to me.. so I upgraded from 4.9 to 5.0 through the Play store. I will totally check that out. Thanks!

Rogus

May 1, 2012
Visit site

Seems this is a common complaint about the stock email on some phones. The email app on the play store called "Email-Google, Inc." has comments complaining about no "Select All." Interestingly, that app is not compatible with the DT.

Also interesting about the different versions and that, apparently, the DT app is older than the one on the Droid Maxx. The app on the DT is a MOTOEMAIL version. Is that Moto tweaking the android email app? I don't have a Droid Maxx. On my RAZR Maxx it just says "version 4.7." Not sure if it's a MOTOEMAIL app, but would guess not with that version #.

It's impossible for me to understand how any email app would not include a way to select all or an option to empty the trash folder!

Fable

Android Rules
Nov 20, 2009
Visit site

Just confirming that GMAIL 5.0 App seems to perfectly fix this issue and now has replaced my stock DT App as my go to app... really nice to see the 5.0 enhancements with the Clear Trash and Empty Trash Folder options.

Jay Evans

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Google rolls out updates to users in stages over days or weeks sometimes. If you want the latest and greatest ASAP I suggest you check apkmirror.com. If you are a Pushbullet user (a must have app IMHO) you can subscribe to updates and be notified as soon as new updates are released. All the new Google Material Design apps are there.

Vikki Bartlett

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Almost a year later and still no fix to have select all option?? I too don't want to use a different app. I just came off Droid Razer Maxx and get 100+ emails I have to delete... Is there anything in the works to create a 'select all' option in the stock email program on DT??

jrmt077

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
To all the people asking if there is a 'fix" for the stock mail app, to "select all" and delete, answer is a definitive NO. Unfortunately that's the way it was designed. To the same people who do not want to use a different app, please just take the plunge and try one, you will never look back. There are many 3rd party mail apps that are so much better than the stock, I use TypeMail. Also latest version GMail, as one respondent reported, which is "stock loaded" on your phone, so that should make you feel comfortable.

Sean Cogan

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
The Lollipop version of the stock email app now has an "Empty Trash" function that deletes all.

I agree that there are better 3rd party apps available. I also prefer TypeMail. Fairly easy to see up with simple one-swipe access to folders. You can set up one unified in-box icon with unread notifications or set up separate icons for each account with unread notifications. And, of course, it has the "Delete All" function. :)

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm not quite sure I understand not wanting to use a third party app if it makes the phone work the way you want it to. That's the huge strength of having a smartphone. It's a bit like getting a basic PC and using Notepad and Calculator to try to make spreadsheets rather than installing an app that will make your life so much easier.

There are many email apps in the store that are free and the amount of extra storage they will take is trivial - in the megabytes.