Verizon rolling out Oreo

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Only used the phone with oreo now for less than 24 hours.....but so many improvements with lagg issues...(which were not that much actually).

Lots of little UI changes and options.....so far my phone is performing much better all-round. Hope it continues...

My bluetooth connections work much much better too! I have a few diff speakers...and had issues changing from one to another....now it hands off and connects fast.

I like many of the notifications for apps in use...like audio source changing from speaker to phone instantly with toggle option in the notifications.

I also noticed the charging notification shows correctly fast charging, slow charging and such like it is supposed to. Before....sometimes it would say slow charging or fast charging with the same fast charger. Little things like this I am noticing work like they should.

Sounds great! I definitely know what you mean about being happy about noticing the little things working as they should. That must feel good!

dollface

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Very cool to wake up to the update.....but I only had like 26% battery left....and thought it was just a security update from Verizon........after letting it fly an hour later....... OREO 8.0

Lots of UI tweaks.....and I am using nova launcher. I have not tried to use the stock home launcher......how does it seem to you all that use it?

Yea, it sure was a longggggg update

Jezza819

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I got the update this afternoon. I haven't had that much time to look around but the one thing that's really annoying me is that I have a constant message that "Exchange is using battery, tap for details on battery and data usage". Tap it and it looks like it opens up an app that shows battery and data usage. Is this thing necessary? How do I stop the notification every time I wake the phone up?

The other strange thing I noticed is that all of my buttons still click when touched except for the back button. It makes kind of like a thumping noise.

frifred

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I got the update this afternoon. I haven't had that much time to look around but the one thing that's really annoying me is that I have a constant message that "Exchange is using battery, tap for details on battery and data usage". Tap it and it looks like it opens up an app that shows battery and data usage. Is this thing necessary? How do I stop the notification every time I wake the phone up?

The other strange thing I noticed is that all of my buttons still click when touched except for the back button. It makes kind of like a thumping noise.

Swipe down to open notifications, then swipe left on that android system battery notification....you will see a gear, press it and select the button to turn off all apps that use that notification.

chuckdawg1999

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
So besides not getting dots with Google home it appears that whatever my problems have been with Gmail aren't going away. I lose the in app notifications after I swipe an email away from the shade. I also don't get comment notifications from the YouTube creator app even though I have them turned on. Also the phone has crashed every day since the update. I have to force reset to get it working

Last edited:

Jezza819

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Swipe down to open notifications, then swipe left on that android system battery notification....you will see a gear, press it and select the button to turn off all apps that use that notification.

Thanks for that. It was getting annoying.

chuckdawg1999

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
So I found out the loss of the in app notifications are due to the glory of Oreo. It was first changed on Pixels. IPhones are looking rather good now.

ralfyguy

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Can you guys on Oreo now attach gifs in the stock text messaging app without getting an error message when doing so?

chuckdawg1999

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
If you mean toasts I still have those. I have other problems with Oreo but toasts/heads-up aren't among the Oreo negatives.

I don't know what toasts are. I talking about the color coded notifications for your tabs that let you know how many unread messages you have. They used to stay after you swiped an email out of the shade but now they disappear when you do that.

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
I don't know what toasts are. I talking about the color coded notifications for your tabs that let you know how many unread messages you have. They used to stay after you swiped an email out of the shade but now they disappear when you do that.

Oh - are you using the default launcher? I use Nova and it has its own setting for that.

Edit: nope you're right. Not cool.

Last edited:

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
I'm using Google now. That's why I don't have badges. This is the first time I can remember being so disappointed with an OS update

I'm having the same sentiment but for different reasons. I've reset my G6 twice already trying to get it in line, and I've had to dump a few apps I really didn't want to lose.

chuckdawg1999

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Well I finally discovered last night that Google Now was discontinued, I missed the article from May 2nd. This morning I switched to one of the other Launchers on my phone and it's not that bad. I'm even using Verizon app flash as my side screen. I have badges now but Gmail is still being Gmail. It'll take a few days to get used to things but I guess I really don't have a choice

Jezza819

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
After the first couple of days on Oreo it seems my battery life is a little worse than before. By the time I got home last night after work it was down in the mid 60's and before it would be in the mid to upper 70's after a typical days use.

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
After the first couple of days on Oreo it seems my battery life is a little worse than before. By the time I got home last night after work it was down in the mid 60's and before it would be in the mid to upper 70's after a typical days use.

Well, that sucks... I came to ask how everyone's battery life was after the update. Is everyone experiencing the same? Interested to know if I should hold off on updating (battery life is important to me) or if the update is worth it regardless?

chuckdawg1999

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Well, that sucks... I came to ask how everyone's battery life was after the update. Is everyone experiencing the same? Interested to know if I should hold off on updating (battery life is important to me) or if the update is worth it regardless?

My battery is fine but I wouldn't consider myself a power user. Frankly I don't think the update was worth it and I wish I could go back

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
My battery is fine but I wouldn't consider myself a power user. Frankly I don't think the update was worth it and I wish I could go back

Thanks. I don't really consider myself a power user, either, but the battery on the G6 is already underwhelming, for the most part. I don't want it to get any worse. Think I'll sit this update out, or at least delay it until I get a consensus on how it affects the phone... good or bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Treyrday86