Verizon Trade In Info

chi-rak

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I wanted to share some new info about eligible trade-ins that a Verizon rep told me today. Their website was pretty vague before about this and has now been updated to clearly explain what you can trade in for $300 on a Google Pixel (or Pixel XL) and that there are a number of phones that can be traded in for $200.

Here is the deal from their site:

Purchase the Google Pixel or Google Pixel XL on Device Payment and trade in a smartphone for up to $300
  • Any smartphone with market value of $1 or greater for $200
  • HTC One M9, iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6S or 6S Plus, LG G4 or V10, Samsung Galaxy S6, S6 edge, S6 edge+ or Note 5 for $300
Promotional trade in credits issued over 24 months and will appear in 2-3 bill cycles after receipt of trade at Verizon. Your smartphone purchase must remain active on device payment agreement for 24 months to receive credits. If you cancel service, or if device payment agreement is paid off or transferred, trade in promotional credits will stop. Traded device must be in good working and cosmetic condition to receive credits.

You can validate this by going to the Verizon trade-in site and continue through the process to appraise your device. At the conclusion of the appraisal, you will see "The trade-in value depends on meeting certain promotion eligibility requirements. Click here to see the promotion eligibility requirements." Go ahead and click to see the details above.

They seem to appraise most reasonably recent working condition smartphones at $1 or more. So, you can expect to get at least $200 in credit if you want to go with Verizon.

Please don't threadcrap about why buying from Verizon sucks. We can all read that on 50 other threads on this forum and everywhere. Ignore this if you don't want to buy from Verizon and save money.

Happy Buying!:D

GTvert90

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for posting the fine print. I ordered today expecting a 200 dollar trade in credit. I didn't realize I wouldn't get the full 200 If I didn't keep the phone on the plan for 2 years

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for posting the fine print. I ordered today expecting a 200 dollar trade in credit. I didn't realize I wouldn't get the full 200 If I didn't keep the phone on the plan for 2 years

Yes - I read it too.

The credit is spread over a 24-month period, and if you leave prior to 24 months, it ends. Furthermore, since it's spread over time, this is what you'll see taken off your monthly bill:

$300 trade-in: $12.50 month/24 months
$200 trade-in: $8.33 month/24 months

Definitely helpful to the budget, but you need to read the fine print!

socarwolverine

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't find out how long this promo was going. I'm not getting the Pixel til some reviews drop, but I also don't want to waste the $200 credit I can get for my Droid Razr Maxx. VZW is offering almost three times what I could likely get on Swappa.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am iffy on the trade in contract... If you plan to keep it for a short time and pay it off then it wouldn't be worth it. If you keep it for say a year then you would get$100 which wouldn't be bad considering that the Phone is just launched. Though if you do that then you can also buy through Best Buy for$100 gc and Chromecast.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I am iffy on the trade in contract... If you plan to keep it for a short time and pay it off then it wouldn't be worth it. If you keep it for say a year then you would get$100 which wouldn't be bad considering that the Phone is just launched. Though if you do that then you can also buy through Best Buy for$100 gc and Chromecast.

Yup - but BB only sells the 32GB version.
Not a bad thing, just an observation.

VitaminA

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Unfortunate that the credit can't apply to outright buying the phone. I assume there's a reason Verizon wants to coax buyers into the payment plans, but I'm not seeing it. Would be nice if I could trade in my old LG G3 and get the Pixel for $450; or even still pay $650 and just have the $8.33 discount on my account for 2 years.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I really hate how they changed it if you pay it off early or switch to another device. Its almost like they dont want you to upgrade every year, like some of us do.

I certainly dont want change my mind about this phone in 3 months, and just lose nearly all the credit.

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
So in looking at my account I got to this:
Is the activation lock turned off ? (for example, Find My iPhone /Activation lock/Anti-Theft Protection)
This device has the Find My iPhone feature turned on. You must turn this feature off before returning your device. Failure to turn off the feature will result in a significant reduction in the value of your trade in device.

Now the question is how do I do This? Not a iPhone thread but relevant for the trade. It's the difference between 85$ or $400. For 85 I will just sell it on my own, but for the 400 I am sold. 16 off the price is to good to pass on.

J_Bone

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have any idea if this is a pre-order thing only or do you think it will be there Thursday morning? Been holding off hoping to see a couple real reviews but I had a friend tell me yesterday that he thought the trade in was pre-orders only. I'm upgrading from a Moto X which, last I looked, had like a $25 trade value. Would rather not risk that $175 difference and can run pre-order today if needed. Just thought I may be able to walk in the store Thursday and walk out with one if I didn't go the pre-order route.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunate that the credit can't apply to outright buying the phone. I assume there's a reason Verizon wants to coax buyers into the payment plans, but I'm not seeing it. Would be nice if I could trade in my old LG G3 and get the Pixel for $450; or even still pay $650 and just have the $8.33 discount on my account for 2 years.

Because if you are on the payment plan and pay it off they no longer have to give you that credit for the phone so they can sell that phone and make $$ without having to pay those bill credits. I think they assume most will not keep it for the full 2 years so they would make out in the end.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
So in looking at my account I got to this:
Is the activation lock turned off ? (for example, Find My iPhone /Activation lock/Anti-Theft Protection)
This device has the Find My iPhone feature turned on. You must turn this feature off before returning your device. Failure to turn off the feature will result in a significant reduction in the value of your trade in device.

Now the question is how do I do This? Not a iPhone thread but relevant for the trade. It's the difference between 85$ or $400. For 85 I will just sell it on my own, but for the 400 I am sold. 16 off the price is to good to pass on.

This will completely erase your device, turn off Find My iPhone, and remove the device from your Apple ID account.
Tap Settings > iCloud.
Scroll down and tap Sign Out, then tap Sign Out again.
Tap Delete from My iPhone and enter your password.
Go back to Settings.
Tap General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julieharrison