Video & Camera Test (HTC One v. Galaxy S4 v. iPhone 5) (VIDEO) (PICS)

JoshieMSU

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
On topic (since this is a thread about video and camera):

The video tests show a clear advantage, in focus, for the S4. That thing's focus is rock solid. The HTC has a smoother video due to OIS. Quality is equal. Night video, looking at a collection of revies around the net, I prefer the One.

Camera comparisons: The S4 has a much better day-light camera. Better colors, fantastic detail, and an overall very balanced day photo. Pre-release software, or not, the GS4 will produce better day shots than the One. I disagree with GSM's Lowlight shots, however. I don't like the setting they choose to deem as "low-light." I would prefer a pure blown night shot comparison and a bar/club shot comparison, rather than what looks to be an early evening shot.

Off topic:

Performance: GS4 faster in synthetics. Real world performance indistinguishable.

Aesthetic design: HTC One, hands down. Although, the black GS4 doesn't look too bad, imo. I still feel like HTC placed more emphasis here, and it paid off.

Functional Design: GS4, narrowly. Removable Battery and SD Slot is slightly > front facing speakers

Display: 441 vs 468 is irrelevant. HTC One will have better color accuracy. GS4 will have better blacks. I personally love amoled screens, over-saturated or not. Both are very impressive.

Software: Touchwiz for functionality and feature set. Sense 5 for minimalistic looks. Overall, I would prefer Sense 5, but both would be flashed to a better ROM.

Battery Life: Going off GSMArena's comparison, the HTC will have (ever so slightly) better battery life for the power user that charges their phone once every 24hr. GS4 will have better battery life for the user that wants to stretch it out.

Overall, I feel like neither party would be wrong if one had the GS4 and the other had an HTC One. The petty little fanboy wars are pathetically funny to me. They're both awesome devices, and I can't see anyone not being pleased with either. For me, though? I'm not making my decision until I can get some decent hands-on time with both.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
vibrant != realistic.

Yeah vibrant doesn't equal realistic, but who wants a realistic colored night shot? When someone takes a pic in the dark, or even in the shade they want to be able to actually see the picture, and the camera lens is supposed to open up (or digitally) to expose more light so people can see a camera shot in low light, so it brightens it up and adds some color to balance and satisfy the user.

Not some dark picture when taking a pic in low light...then whats the point? lol

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah vibrant doesn't equal realistic, but who wants a realistic colored night shot? When someone takes a pic in the dark, or even in the shade they want to be able to actually see the picture, and the camera lens is supposed to open up (or digitally) to expose more light so people can see a camera shot in low light, so it brightens it up and adds some color to balance and satisfy the user.

Not some dark picture when taking a pic in low light...then whats the point? lol

OK, after that comment I know for a fact that you were just joking around this entire thread. Heck this entire thread was created for humor... Lol.. Good one!

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
OK, after that comment I know for a fact that you were just joking around this entire thread. Heck this entire thread was created for humor... Lol.. Good one!

Lol but seriously though all jokes aside, I think the Galaxy S4 camera is much better though
The HTC Once camera is decent, but I think the S4 takes the cake

Phone wars are funny :)

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Lol but seriously though all jokes aside, I think the Galaxy S4 camera is much better though
The HTC Once camera is decent, but I think the S4 takes the cake

Phone wars are funny :)
I think the HTC One camera is very good...at what it's good at ..LOL! I will take the OIS, low-light photo/video, video recording bitrate, and audio recording from the One. From the S4 (even though I list two but they are important to me) I like the amazing level of detail it can capture in its photos (at amazing distances) and its consistent focus abilities for video. I've said before that the S4 does not do too good a job of adjusting its exposure at times, but I think that's why you don't see it adjusting the focal point as much, like the HTC One.

As for the "Phone Wars" I agree, they are entertaining :) So much can be learned given that many different sources (pros and cons) of information are contributed in a debated topic. I think we have reached a point where the devices being released this year are the manufactures BEST work to date. With the HTC One, Galaxy S4, Xperia Z, etc.. It would be difficult for it to be said that the Android platform has meager offerings compared to other platforms.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I think the HTC One camera is very good...at what it's good at ..LOL! I will take the OIS, low-light photo/video, video recording bitrate, and audio recording from the One. From the S4 (even though I list two but they are important to me) I like the amazing level of detail it can capture in its photos (at amazing distances) and its consistent focus abilities for video. I've said before that the S4 does not do too good a job of adjusting its exposure at times, but I think that's why you don't see it adjusting the focal point as much, like the HTC One.

As for the "Phone Wars" I agree, they are entertaining :) So much can be learned given that many different sources (pros and cons) of information are contributed in a debated topic. I think we have reached a point where the devices being released this year are the manufactures BEST work to date. With the HTC One, Galaxy S4, Xperia Z, etc.. It would be difficult for it to be said that the Android platform has meager offerings compared to other platforms.

Yeah definitely
Companies are trying to produce the best products and I know their supporters will push to show one is better than the other, which adds to the excitement of the whole thing, I enjoy it.
At the end of the day, each person has their own preference, and once these phones are released the wars subside and everyone will go about their lives lol
It's why I love android, so many varieties of phones adding to the competition, its the best.

Both phones are amazing in their own way
I still think the Galaxy S4 photos are better though :p The Galaxy S4 to me is more close to an actual digital camera rather than a "cell phone" camera. I do take a lot of pictures with my phone so these features are important to me (vibrant, clear close ups) even if the colors aren't exact to real life, it brings more life to the photos with the vibrancy and little saturation but still clear, but to anyone else who isn't much of a photographer it may not matter as much.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tudi23