[VIDEO] Unlock, Root, & Clockwork for the Nexus 7 Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I know TWRP on the NS4G allows you to reboot to system, bootloader, recovery or power off.

Newest version of TWRP had built in on screen keyboard to allow custom naming of backups and to work even better with the built in file manager.

FWIW, After using TWRP now since it released I have never gone back to CWM

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

Reactions: zero neck

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Will try it in a few and let you know.. Lol actually haven't had to boot into bootloader since unlocking..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Looks like it's hanging on the Google splash screen :/ Has to be a bootloader bug then.. It wouldn't be the first, Jerry pointed one out to me for my Factory Restore guide. Dangit, hope Google gets that fixed then.

mikec8785

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Will try it in a few and let you know.. Lol actually haven't had to boot into bootloader since unlocking..

How do you normally boot into recovery? ROM Manager?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone tried the app Quick Boot from the Play Store? That gives you different reboot options.

Reactions: 2defmouze

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
How do you normally boot into recovery? ROM Manager?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I'm running CM10 so it's in the power menu, tho if I needed I would just plug into my computer and
adb reboot recovery
48507ecf-898b-5a91.jpg
48507ecf-8995-8f5b.jpg

Has anyone tried the app Quick Boot from the Play Store? That gives you different reboot options.

That's an option, also Simple Reboot is what I used for a while on JB ROMs before the advanced power menu was a part of them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Judynnnn

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Great tutorial!

If anyone can't get supersu when doing the command, be sure to add the space after the .zip when starting the /sdcard/

I was stuck for like 20 minutes haha:D

Reactions: ragnarokx

mikec8785

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to the front page article about "Nexus 7 Hard Reset" we now have an answer as to why CWM or TWRP won't boot via Bootloader. You have to have the Nexus 7 plugged into your computer (no need for a command line open or anything like that) and then you can boot into recovery via the bootloader.

I just tested this out. I tried booting into CWM from the bootloader without the Nexus 7 plugged into my computer via USB and it just hangs at the Google screen. Then, I plugged it into my computer via USB, booted into bootloader and then tried to go to recovery and voila! I booted into CWM.

megatill

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi ragnarokx,

I managed to get the following done:
fastboot oem unlock
fastboot flash recovery clockwork.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot boot clockwork.img
adb reboot recovery​

But when I get to
adb push supersu.zip /sdcard/
nothing happened.

I read the Forum and another reader seemed to have the same problem, so I let the Nexus 7 reboot to the Windows start page, powered down, then started bootloader.

I did see the blue/yellow list, but the message was that there was no SDCARD.

Upon bootloader reboot, I applied fastboot boot clockwork.img and then tried
adb reboot recovery and adb push supersu.zip /sdcard/ and both received an "error: device not found" message each time I applied via the CMD window.

Any help gratefully accepted!!!!

Megan in Sydney

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Hi ragnarokx,

I managed to get the following done:
fastboot oem unlock
fastboot flash recovery clockwork.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot boot clockwork.img
adb reboot recovery​

But when I get to
adb push supersu.zip /sdcard/
nothing happened.

I read the Forum and another reader seemed to have the same problem, so I let the Nexus 7 reboot to the Windows start page, powered down, then started bootloader.

I did see the blue/yellow list, but the message was that there was no SDCARD.

Upon bootloader reboot, I applied fastboot boot clockwork.img and then tried
adb reboot recovery and adb push supersu.zip /sdcard/ and both received an "error: device not found" message each time I applied via the CMD window.

Any help gratefully accepted!!!!

Megan in Sydney

From the troubleshooting section:
First: Basically if you can only see the N7 mounted as the Samsung device, do not worry, it roots fine using that. I simply could not get the naked drives mounted but it was not a big deal in the end. As a matter of fact somewhere along the line it changed to the Android ADB Interface.

Second I also had the issue of the N7 not seeing the "SD card" and when i did I did not see the supersu.zip file to install, "

So this will fix both. Just restart the N7 and boot it as normal from the recovery screen.

Let it mount a USB drive, it will be called Nexus 7 in the My Computer list of devices and the drive will be called Internal Storage.

Copy the c:\nexus7\supersu.zip file to this N7 drive. Just stick it in the root along with the folder, Android, DCIM etc...

Then shut down the N7, hold power and Vol down and go from there to install supersu.zip. After I coped the file there manually I could then see the SD card and install it.

peggsie

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
In the command prompt
c:\nexus7>
My computer won't recognize the word"fastboot"
It's a Windows 7 OS

Does this mean my tablet is not recognized

Last edited:

feelinfroggy23

May 4, 2012
Visit site
So has anyone ran into trouble while doing EXACTLY what he does on video? I know he updated some stuff but overall has anyone ran into trouble?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
In the command prompt
c:\nexus7>
My computer won't recognize the word"fastboot"
It's a Windows 7 OS

Does this mean my tablet is not recognized

Sounds like fastboot.exe is not in a folder called nexus7 in the C:\ directory of your computer.

So has anyone ran into trouble while doing EXACTLY what he does on video? I know he updated some stuff but overall has anyone ran into trouble?

The only thing updated that affects the video is Clockwork, and that is covered by the two pictures and short explanation preceding the video.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

pandas_in_hats

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
First of all, big thanks to ragnarokx for posting these instructions, the video and the updates.

For anyone having a problem pushing the supersu zip to your Nexus 7, I followed the instructions from top to bottom, starting over each time but at the "choose zip from sd card" stage, there was no zip file to select. After several attempts, my fix turned out to be quite simple; just repeat the 'adb push supersu.zip /sdcard/' and 'adb reboot recovery' commands rather than starting again from the beginning.

An indication that the push probably didn't work is if your command prompt returns '* daemon not running. starting it now *' and '* daemon started successfully *' during the push command.

Chyaddo

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

I just rooted my Nexus 7 like 5 minutes ago. I followed the instructions word-for-word but it didn't work exactly as he said for me. My SD Card couldn't be mounted so I rebooted to the welcome screen like described in the troubleshooting section. This worked and i was able to mount just fine. However, the copying of the supersu.zip did not work so i rebooted to the welcome screen again and manually copied over the supersu.zip as also described in the troubleshooting section. After that, all was fine. Honestly, i was very nervous about doing all this because i'm a noob to android and rooting but overall it wasn't that big of a deal.

Thanks so much for the guide! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia