"view all" long text messages

Nikizzz

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Hey Guys!

I'm interested in switching to the galaxy s9+ but the only thing holding me back is when you receive a long text message it cuts it down and you have to click view all that takes you to another window and keep going back and forth with is annoying.

Is there a way around this besides downloading another messaging app?

Thank you

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi! I'm sure people here will say just use a different messaging app.

However, I have a Gear watch though so it makes sense for me to stick with as many stock apps as possible. I feel your pain but have chosen to disregard this quirk. I don't end up sending or receiving too many long texts that triggers this message but on the receiving end I hate to admit it but I sort of like it now as after clicking "view all" the text is nice on a full screen.

Nikizzz

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
I thought so that would be the first answer!

Oh really? Damn I really hate it and tbh that’s why I’m still with Apple because of that reason just really frustrating for me!

I really wanted to switch to the droid side.. sigh..

bbgpsuser

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi! I'm sure people here will say just use a different messaging app.

However, I have a Gear watch though so it makes sense for me to stick with as many stock apps as possible. ...

Textra works just fine with my Gear S3. I'm sure other text apps also work just fine with it. I can see and respond to text messages easily.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Nope. I never owned an Apple phone and that happened too after Samsung updated their messaging app on the S7 Edge. Basically it's just their messaging app is designed that way.
Definitely not a Nope. Chan, you may have found a additional setup in which this occurs, but it's a well kmown issue.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Definitely not a Nope. Chan, you may have found a additional setup in which this occurs, but it's a well kmown issue.

Nope. And you're the first one I've heard of saying this is tied to iPhone. Heck even buying a new Samsung now gives that "view all" feature with no way to turn it off. Even if you haven't even restored your messages to it and just activate your number out of the box with a prepaid sim. Not sure how that could be linked to an iPhone.

It's also a well known issue that happened to everybody on a Samsung that got the Nougat update from Marshmallow. Not everything can be blamed on the iPhones you know. Heck there are hundreds of threads of people using their S7 that turned this way after the Nougat update. No link to iPhones whatsoever.

Further, representatives from Samsung themselves have stated that there is no way to turn the feature of "view all" from inside the app. Basically it's supposed to work that way.

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...-the-Samsung-Messages-app-without/td-p/300915

Last edited:

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Textra works just fine with my Gear S3. I'm sure other text apps also work just fine with it. I can see and respond to text messages easily.

Can you tap reply on the Textra notification on your Gear and then reply directly through that app? For me, it would always say for me to check my phone and it would have Textra open on my phone once unlocked. This was annoying as hell, so I quit using it.

Verizon Message+ would play nicely with it, but I would clear the notification from Gear and it wouldn't clear from my phone. I also don't care for Message+ as much, because it won't allow to pull mobile numbers only when I start typing a contact's name. Why the hell it thinks I want to choose from phone numbers and email addresses is beyond me. I think there's a way for it to send a text through email but I have no desire to do that.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Nope. And you're the first one I've heard of saying this is tied to iPhone. Heck even buying a new Samsung now gives that "view all" feature with no way to turn it off. Even if you haven't even restored your messages to it and just activate your number out of the box with a prepaid sim. Not sure how that could be linked to an iPhone.

It's also a well known issue that happened to everybody on a Samsung that got the Nougat update from Marshmallow. Not everything can be blamed on the iPhones you know. Heck there are hundreds of threads of people using their S7 that turned this way after the Nougat update. No link to iPhones whatsoever.

Further, representatives from Samsung themselves have stated that there is no way to turn the feature of "view all" from inside the app. Basically it's supposed to work that way.

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...-the-Samsung-Messages-app-without/td-p/300915
You seem to take pleasure in finding fault. The following is a more complete explanation, written on a different forum.

' SMS messages are restricted to 160 characters. While iPhone users with iMessage can send any length they wish. While some non-iOS based phones and carriers will handle them differently, many will break them up at the 160 character limit. If you are sending a long message, that would explain it. You can contact your carrier and ask them, but SMS is a carrier feature. There is no setting on the iPhone for handling SMS.'

I don't know why you've never come across this, but I experience it myself when getting long texts from iPhone users. Your jumping the gun to find fault is counterproductive to find a solution for the op. This is for the op, right?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
You seem to take pleasure in finding fault. The following is a more complete explanation, written on a different forum.

' SMS messages are restricted to 160 characters. While iPhone users with iMessage can send any length they wish. While some non-iOS based phones and carriers will handle them differently, many will break them up at the 160 character limit. If you are sending a long message, that would explain it. You can contact your carrier and ask them, but SMS is a carrier feature. There is no setting on the iPhone for handling SMS.'

I don't know why you've never come across this, but I experience it myself when getting long texts from iPhone users. Your jumping the gun to find fault is counterproductive to find a solution for the op. This is for the op, right?

I'm not taking pleasure in finding fault. I simply say you are wrong. You're the one jumping the gun saying it's an iPhone fault when clearly this was not an issue on older versions of the Samsung Messages app.

Samsung phones before Nougat doesn't have this view all. I've had Samsung devices for 7 years and have been texting very long messages with iPhone users. You can get a 450 character long SMS on a Note 2, Galaxy S5 and S7 (on Marshmallow) without the view all button and it just shows up. Again, this view all button only appeared on the version of Samsung messages for Nougat and beyond.

That explanation you mentioned doesn't even concern this issue. What happens when carriers handle long SMS either you get one long text or multiple short ones. It has nothing to do with how the SMS app shows this. If that was the case, then it should have been the same whatever SMS app you use, which is not true. Android Messages and Textra do not have a view all button. Samsung designed their new SMS app so that long messages will be truncated and hidden behind a view all button, which is different from their old approach where they will simply show everything.

I happen to have an old S3 lying around and I can test this freely. The following screenshot clearly shows a long message without the view all "feature" on an older Samsung phone.

Screenshot_2018-09-16-05-08-01.png

Last edited:

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
we used to have the option to turn in split long sms. just checked and it's not there.

I have seen this message as well, but not since I started using Android messages. I do remember I was annoyed.

try other sms apps, one might do what you want

And you might want to delete your phone number from the pictures

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
we used to have the option to turn in split long sms. just checked and it's not there.

I have seen this message as well, but not since I started using Android messages. I do remember I was annoyed.

try other sms apps, one might do what you want

And you might want to delete your phone number from the pictures

I'm not the OP. And that's a spam number (it's realty ad). Couldn't care less if somebody spams a spambot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
polie10