Virgin Mobile user here quick question if anybody could help

pJ---

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Seeing as I've always been an android user and the iphone 4s is soon to be coming to virgin mobile is it possible to install cyanogenmod or ice cream sandwhich on an iphone?

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Its possible, but not worth it. If you want ics or any cm build, just buy an android phone.

Sent using my MoPho-King photon

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Like others have said, it's doable, but difficult.

The other issue that you will run into if you were to do this is that you'll probably get poor performance. iPhones don't have very impressive internals. I think the 4s only has 512 MB of RAM and a pretty slow processor compared to high end Android phones. (Apple doesn't officially release those kinds of specs.) iPhones perform well because the OS and the apps are all optomized to work well with the hardware, even though the hardware isn't very fast. (Since you only have one set of hardware, you can build everything custom for it.)

If you want to do this for the "project" aspect of it, that's fine; have fun. But if this phone is going to be your daily driver, you'll probably be disappointed, especially when you consider how much money you'll spend on the iPhone vs the poor quality of the user experience you'll end up with.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Like others have said, it's doable, but difficult.

The other issue that you will run into if you were to do this is that you'll probably get poor performance. iPhones don't have very impressive internals. I think the 4s only has 512 MB of RAM and a pretty slow processor compared to high end Android phones. (Apple doesn't officially release those kinds of specs.) iPhones perform well because the OS and the apps are all optomized to work well with the hardware, even though the hardware isn't very fast. (Since you only have one set of hardware, you can build everything custom for it.)

If you want to do this for the "project" aspect of it, that's fine; have fun. But if this phone is going to be your daily driver, you'll probably be disappointed, especially when you consider how much money you'll spend on the iPhone vs the poor quality of the user experience you'll end up with.

The 4S has respectable specs. Dual core based on Samsung Exynos, but with a better GPU.

1gb of ram.

Not a spec slouch. The new ipad has pretty awesome specs, too.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
The 4S has respectable specs. Dual core based on Samsung Exynos, but with a better GPU.

1gb of ram.

Not a spec slouch. The new ipad has pretty awesome specs, too.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Ok. I guess I looked up some bad info. (I probably should have put more than 15 seconds into it.) That sounds pretty decent, so it might give a good user experience.

Hello all,
ok, if you want to do this for the "project" aspect of it, that's fine; have fun. But if this phone is going to be your daily driver, you'll probably be disappointed, especially when you consider how much money you'll spend on the iPhone vs the poor quality of the user experience you'll end up with.
Its possible, but not worth it. If you want ics or any cm build, just buy an android phone. Good luck!

Not trying to be a troll, but "Hello all", was the only original thing you said. Everything else was a straight copy and paste from other comments. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Reactions: tirith