Volume turning itself down?

StormnNJ

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I don't silence but I did have the screen set to off at night when it happened. Removed moto update and hasn't done it since.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue with my Samsung s5. It's driving me crazy I miss so many calls because the volume goes down on all my settings. I know I don't change them or bump them it's doing it itself. Can someone help or do you think its a warranty thing. My phone is only a month old

Posted via the Android Central App

Before you do an exchange I would recommend a factory reset. I did not have this issue with my S5 and I'd hate to see you get a refurbished device when its a month old.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

ckelly33

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I noticed the same issue. My notified action sound is all the way down and ringer is normal.
I am also using the moto assist night silence.
I just started checking it in the morning trying to figure it out.
I also believe it is a bug with the moto assist night all silence.

I'm thinking these silencing apps may be the issue. (current theory)

Xelios

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking these silencing apps may be the issue. (current theory)

Not sure about that. I, surprisingly, have not had this issue since my initial post here. I use the sleep feature on my phone too. I have wiped my cache a few times between then and now though, maybe that helped?

billwill1

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
My ringer volume and sometimes notification volume were turning themselves off at least 1 or more times a day. I have found that turning off the Power Save mode has fixed the problem. Shouldn't be related, but Power Save is definitely causing the problem.

emock81

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I started having this problem recently too. I have only noticed it over the past week or so. I have had the phone since around Thanksgiving and I have always used the Moto driving and sleeping options so I didn't think it was that unless they recently updated the Moto app and I didn't notice that. The only other major change I have made is I now have a 360 that is paired with my phone. Has anyone had this issue that also has a 360? Don't know if that's doing anything odd.

ckelly33

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Mine is paired with my truck radio. The volume issue only occurs when it connects via Bluetooth. I also use an app called Agent that mutes the phone when connected to Bluetooth. Since it never happens without connecting to BT, I think it it Agent that doesn't turn BOTH volumes back up when I disconnect (only the ringtone returns, not the notifications)

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
(only the ringtone returns, not the notifications)

Yes, this is probably right, because standard KiKat behavior is to have those two linked, so Motorola veered from the standard there. There may be a setting buried in Agent to reset both volumes, though - I've used other, similar apps with the same issue and I know I have seen that setting before.

demandarin

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Ahhhh! People...you are not alone. It's a bug I think associated with lollipop. I'm 100% sure a bug. I need my music to go steady for my workouts. I'm driven crazy everyday by my phone fighting with itself on volume. I have it wayyyyy worse than yall described. I have note 4 on att also. Whenever I plug in my headphines..the "Media" volume will pop up randomly on its own and cut itself down. I can show u videos. I went as far as to install a volume lock app as a work around. Guess what..it works **** now I see the phone fight with the app..Hahaha I need to do a vid. U will see phone cutting music down while app tries to Muscle it back to locked setting amount. This drives me SOOOOOOO crazy. I was ready to snap and bust the phone as I hear the volume going up and down constantly. I thought it was my Urban Armor gear case. But nope. Took it off and issue still remains. I thought it was certain songs only at first or maybe headphones...but now I realize it's a true bug that needs to be fixed asap. I'm huge on working out and I need the music to zone out. So picture me ready to crush phone in hands because it's throwing me off on my zoning out....Hahaha. so much so I'm considering switching to that big iPhone like my note. But I don't know if they let u install the music to phone from Google. Not trying to stream constantly. Have a 64gb Samsung high speed card in the Note 4. Plus it came with 32gb internal. Alot is my music. I need this volume working right. Now I see why I'm missing calls and stuff also. The other things noticed are correcr. I'm experiencing them all and what I described.

I'm on Note 4 latest att lollipop update. I hate this lollipop bull. Lol smh I told my dad this update won't ish...lol now I'm dealing with all these new bugs. Just give me my kit kat bar back. I like the chocolatw..haha. please help! Sorry for any typos or whatever. Writing this like I'm texting.

Justin Bluer

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
For Droid Turbo Users
Mine did it all the time to. I would get so irritated because I was missing calls. It is in your Assist settings. Even if you've never messed with them. Go into moto, assist and settings.

Justin Bluer

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
For Droid Turbo Users
I had the problem as well when I first got mine. I found it was due to my settings. Try going into your settings, Moto, assist then to driving uncheck silence, then sleep do the same then meeting do the same. After you uncheck those you shouldn't have the problem anymore. This phone uses GPS, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and calendar to determine what you are doing and will do things for you like silence your phone according to the time at night when most sleep or if you have a date and time on your calendar it will silence your phone for your meeting. I think it's really cool but if you are not aware of this stuff or can frustrate you.

osoviejo

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Not just a Motorola issue. I think it's Lollipop (and predecessors). My S4 has been plagued with this phantom interfering with my ringtone volume (the only one affected for me) for two years. The only app I use regularly is Google All-Music, but I haven't been able to definitively pin it there.

steve_a_reno

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Same issue on my LG. It happens when I am using for white noise to sleep at night. Suddenly it goes silent and the volume is down to 10%. Lack of a constant noise will wake you the same as a sudden loud noise so this really sucks. This just started after update to lollipop. To add insult to injury I can no longer enter my pin in a dark room since the update. Screen keeps timing out. So I have turn on the light to unlock and fix the volume. Not like I am falling back to sleep after all that. Please fix these bugs Android!

S Hansen

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
My husband and I both have Galaxy S4's. The ringtone volume started turning itself down within hours of both phones upgrading to lollipop. I just talked to Samsung tech support. She said it is a known problem but had no solutions except seeing if a factory reset would help. She also said Samsung was coming out with an upgrade within a month to address all the lollipop bugs. We'll see...

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
The phone itself is NOT changing volume. Our phones aren't full robots, yet...you must have some application or setting in your phone. What comes to mind are profiles based on location and time and Motorola apps may have profiling also

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
It was caused by 5.0 . My friends S4 is doing the same thing . Sammy should be coming out with an update.

Mike1221

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Not sure if this would help with diagnosis, but I use my speakers mostly for Netflix/YouTube. Whenever the video flips to match the orientation of the phone the volume will resume to its expected level, if only briefly. After a few seconds it will decrease again

Guy Paddock

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
My theory: it's a design flaw in the way that volume + track control work through the headphone jack.

My S5 came with a set of headphones that have an integrated control for volume + track control, and I do not seem to have any issues with volume adjusting itself when I use those headphones. BUT, if I have my phone connected through my car audio AUX in or I use third-party headphones, I do experience this problem. My guess is that the controls in the Samsung headphones issue commands to the phone via an extra ground connection in the jack.

The theory is that when using headphones / an AUX line that does not have built-in controls, the phone is misinterpreting small variations in voltage as commands to adjust volume. If you think about it, the variations would be caused by the phone's own power-saving, peaks in the audio for the track being played, etc.

So, basically, my theory is that: 1) it only happens with headphones that do not have integrated controls, 2) that the phone is too sensitive to control signals via the grounding pin on the headphone jack, and 3) small variations in voltage via the grounding pin are being interpreted by the phone as "volume down" commands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred