Question Wake screen by Waving Hand

joshkrupinsky

Jul 17, 2020
Visit site
Is there an app that wakes up a phone when you wave your hand over the proximity sensor that ACTUALLY WORKS? I tried several of those, such as WaveUp, KinScreen, Gravity Screen but they just stop working after some time. Gravity Screen is more stable but uses a lot of battery.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Which device?
What's the reason for a wave to wake up the device?

Phones these days have lot different ways to up the screen here are examples

Tap to wake
Always on display
Lift to wake
Notifications to wake

joshkrupinsky

Jul 17, 2020
Visit site
Which device?
What's the reason for a wave to wake up the device?

Phones these days have lot different ways to up the screen here are examples

Tap to wake
Always on display
Lift to wake
Notifications to wake
dude, you really think I have "double tap to wake" or "lift to wake" functions built in and despite that looking for some third-party app?

The problem is that Samsung was stupid enough to release a phone (in 2019!!!) that doesn't have any of those functions. I had phones back in 2014!!!! that had double tap to wake

Yes, this "technological marvel" is Samsung Galaxy A20e, (it's my back-up phone at the moment) and i have to look for a third party app to wake it up because pressing the on/off button all the time is extremely inconvenient (at least for me).

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
dude, you really think I have "double tap to wake" or "lift to wake" functions built in and despite that looking for some third-party app?

The problem is that Samsung was stupid enough to release a phone (in 2019!!!) that doesn't have any of those functions. I had phones back in 2014!!!! that had double tap to wake

Yes, this "technological marvel" is Samsung Galaxy A20e, (it's my back-up phone at the moment) and i have to look for a third party app to wake it up because pressing the on/off button all the time is extremely inconvenient (at least for me).
That's why I asked which device you have lol I was giving examples no need to be aggressive.

Do you have AOD ? Might be a workaround then say a 3rd party app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I would guess that the tricky thing would be to keep the phone and the 3rd party app awake constantly enough to recognize the gesture or hand proximity. This can be challenging on phones whose firmware are designed to kill apps in the background aggressively in order to preserve battery -- Samsung is prominently high on that list: https://dontkillmyapp.com/

joshkrupinsky

Jul 17, 2020
Visit site
I would guess that the tricky thing would be to keep the phone and the 3rd party app awake constantly enough to recognize the gesture or hand proximity. This can be challenging on phones whose firmware are designed to kill apps in the background aggressively in order to preserve battery -- Samsung is prominently high on that list: https://dontkillmyapp.com/
true, but I disabled kinscreen's battery optimization and it worked fine.... until it didn't... don't think its the background killing thing

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The user-facing Battery Optimization setting can only do so much. Sometimes, what's baked into the firmware is still too aggressive. I used to have a TCL Tab 8 that would immediately kill YouTube Music or Spotify playback in the background if the screen went to sleep (and I have YouTube Music Premium, so it definitely should give me background playback). This would happen despite turning off every single optimization setting I could find.

joshkrupinsky

Jul 17, 2020
Visit site
The user-facing Battery Optimization setting can only do so much. Sometimes, what's baked into the firmware is still too aggressive. I used to have a TCL Tab 8 that would immediately kill YouTube Music or Spotify playback in the background if the screen went to sleep (and I have YouTube Music Premium, so it definitely should give me background playback). This would happen despite turning off every single optimization setting I could find.
fair enough, but the app works for a day or two, even three (which means it doesn't get killed by the android os). What happens later (after those days) is a mystery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali