Walkman App

Freelance1040

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Hey,

I've been using the Sony Xperia ZL for some time now and I love it however, the only thing that bothers me is the Walkman app and the updates for it.

With the newest update, you can't even scroll by letter anymore. If you wanted to find a song that starts with the letter V for example to have to either search for it (which basically plays the same song over and over again afterwards) or scroll for eternity to your song. Then when you clicked on that song, it turns the shuffle off which can get annoying. Of course the easiest thing to do is change the music player, however I'm one of those people that like use the experience of the software. Plus, aesthetically the app looks amazing.

I liked the previous update before the newest one so my question is am I able to downgrade to that previous update? Also, what your general opinion about the Walkman app?

Thanks

sauce_a_poutine

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi. Welcome to AC.

I've been using the Sony Xperia ZL for some time now and I love it

So do I.

the only thing that bothers me is the Walkman app

Your not too picky. You are probably a far more agreeable person than I am.

I'm one of those people that like use the experience of the software. Plus, aesthetically the app looks amazing... blah blah blah .....what your general opinion about the Walkman app?

After years of rotting in obsolescence, Sony is on it's way back, but all these efforts may crash because of lack of vision. The Xperia line currently counts amongst it ranks, some of the hottest hardware-packing handsets out there, but they forgot that functionality is also important, and a great music player goes a long way in the mobile sector.

I think the current "Walkman" player app is a sacrilege poohed down upon a legendary name by selfish, senseless, in-fighting, low-level, inept management monkeys trying to kiss-up to the big honchos at Sony, which, let's all remember, is a ? hardware and ? Content company. (which mean half of them want to kill locally killed content and force subscription streaming to low quality streams.) The "Walkman" app is a shame on a legendary name. For the older ones, it evokes the "dawn of portable music". The I-pod was not the first portable music device, it was just an evolution of the original portable stereo, which was Sony's "Walkman". Anyway, enough with the history lesson. suffice it to say that the "Walkman" player has next to no settings and tweaks, be it for sound EQ or playback options, poor format support, no file browser, and no serious playlist editor, which makes it a failure, in my book.

So I fixed that on my phone, and chose to install Neutron music player. I posted a few screenshots below.

Neut-2.jpg
Neut-1.jpg

I know you said you like the "vanilla thing", but I think you'd be seriously missing out. Don't be afraid to try stuff, there are some fantastic apps out there, and a great many are free. Here's a list what I use.

Every day stuff

Aldiko.
Dolphin browser.
ES File explorer.
Neutron music player. (Paid, but there's a Limited Eval version available)
VLC

Utilities.

Barcode scanner.
Convertdroid.
Droidlight LED Flashlight
Notepad

System Utilities.

CPU-Z.
Missed call reminder
Flash Player v.11.1.115.81 for Android 4.0+

Audio Utilities.

My Playlist maker FREE
TrackID
Pro Audio Tone Generator (A.K.A. PA tone)
Ringtone Maker

Coms:

Networking

InSSider
Wi-Fi analyzer

Hobby

FOViewer Deluxe free
Moonphase
Skeye
SkyWeek
Ulysse Gizmos

Under eval:

Noozxoide EIZO-rewire Pro

5-78.jpg

Have fun, you have a great, solid performance phone, got mine on the day it came out, in April, (I think) or something.... Anyways, I'm still loving it. :cool:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jason S