Want to change user on my Tab A My PW is too long by one letter and I can't enter it!

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Using a Tab A SM-T580

I wanted to change the user name and address on my tablet, to one of my others, so I could look at Google Photos. When I try and enter the P/W to prove who I am, it won't let me enter the last letter of the P/W. (as if its too long)

Guess I have never tried this b 4 I do it on my PC all the time.

How can I log out of my tablet and log in with my other Gmail address?

Thanks a lot,

25544 Norad

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
HI B Diddy,

Yep that's how I am doing it. Fwiw the line where the password goes ISN'T too short, it just won't let me enter the last letter of the P/W.

The P/W is 17 characters long.

Tnx

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for that, but I can't shorten the P/W if I first can't log in and prove it's me on that device. i thought of changing the Google p/w for everything using my pc, but I'm not sure that would even help the situation. There must be a clever way to do this but it isn't apparent to me.

The article(s) says that 16 characters is the limit on some things, why the heck didn't it tell me when I entered it to begin with <sigh>

Thanks again, I guess I am stuck.

25544 Norad

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking that you change your password on your Google account site on a computer browser to something 16 characters or less, and then try adding that Google account to your device using the new password.

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
B Diddy,

Sorry to say ;no joy' on that method, IE changing the Google password. The blasted thing still asks me for the P/W I used when I made the account. Logging out of Google is a miserable thing to do I found out. I even went to https://myaccount.google.com/device-activity to try and shut the thing off. I was able to log the tablet off, but when I tried to add a new account, [the one that would allow me to get to Google Photos]......it immediately wants to see the OLD P/W that I changed away from! That one of course is the 17 character one :(

Seems like what we thought,'should' work and yet it doesn't. :eek:I did NOT try and log off ALL the devices shown in the activity page, since I was only adding the new address to that device.

Thanks and sorry to be the bearer of bad news <sigh>

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Wait 72 hours and then try again. When you change your Google password, some logins want you to wait at least 24 hours before trying to log in again.

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
I am still waiting to try to add the new account. Is this misery being caused by the FRP? Or simply length of p/w?

I will try tomorrow and see how I get on, I don't hold out much hope. It makes me want to find a firmware file and use Odin to install it....but who knows it may work after the 3 day hiatus.

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Sorry to say that did nothing, it simply won't take the 17 character alphanumeric p/w.

If this is related to FRP I know you aren't allowed to talk about that.

All I wanted was to add the second account ( registered to my cell) so I could use it to access Google Photos from the Tab A. I can do that easily from my PC certainly. But it would have been handier to have access to both Photo accounts from the Tab A as well. It's a tad inconvenient to lug around a PC and all the peripherals! lol

Everything is working fine, I don't need to find firmware for the Tab and think of flashing it. This was/is for the sake of easiness, nothing more.

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, that's frustrating. I don't know if it's some specific glitch to the Google Photos account interface. Are you able to test what you're trying to do on a different device, like your phone?

Also, let me make sure I'm understanding correctly -- on this Tab A, is it still logged into the original Google account that you set it up with, and you're trying to add another Google account (the one for the Google Photos access you want) in the Settings>Accounts menu? Or did you factory reset the Tab A, and are trying to set it up from scratch with this new Google account?

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Well I guess I can use the phone, but the phone's Photos account is the one I'd like to access from the tablet. Confusing I know and I appreciate your patience with it all :D

You have a correct understanding. The A is logged in with the 17 letter PW. And I am trying to allow the A to have access to my phone's Photo account. Really for no other reason than convenience. Most of the photos I take are done with the phone, and of course I have to view them on that device or use my PC. Using the PC method I can see each Photo account separately, by just changing the user name and PW to the account I want.

I never did a hard reset of the A, I am not clear that a reset would even delete what's limiting my ability to add a user.Using that method on my old Samsung phone didn't make the phone 'as new' the log in info wasn't cleared. Assuming a factory ROM is available I 'could' wake up Odin, and put him to work on the A. That would surely stop the pain we are experiencing at the moment lol. I think!

But that's the long way to go for such a simple thing, at least from where I sit, I think you'd agree.

Let me say that days ago when I used the PC to log in to Google and change the pw, my phone went nuts because it read the change as a hack. Which of course is reasonable, it was my intention to kill the 17 character one and use something else not so darned long as we discussed. Somehow, and I don't know how or why, before I could change the pw away from the long one, I get a message saying "Welcome back" and the old, long pw was back again! How or who created that message I haven't the foggiest but it sure struck me as odd.

It seems to me that maybe, the old pw wasn't really changed to a new one at all since I have to use it to get into the Google home page.

I still think that using the PC and trying to change it again 'should' work. I just don't want to make the situation worse. I can access both accounts from the PC and maybe I should let well enough alone, but it'd be cool to use the A for both accounts as I choose.

It seems to be very difficult to log completly out of Google. It might be that I was never logged off on ALL devices and the change I made wasn't a change at all, hence that odd welcome back thing <shrug>

So I guess I can try the lesser of the two choices and use the pc to make the change again.. this time making sure I am logged completely out of Google's tentacles. I just don't want to make it so I can't log in at all on anything, all because I am a bit lazy.

Whaddya think?

Regards, 25544

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The reason why I was suggesting trying to log into that account on another device was to see if it's some issue specific to the Tab A, or if it's a broader Google account issue. It won't help to test on your phone, since that account is already the primary one on that phone. Are there any other devices you can test this one, perhaps one that belongs to a family member or friend?

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Changed PW using the pc, this time it 'stuck' and I have to use it to log in to Google. However the problem remains. Keeps saying ENTER THE CURRENT PASSWORD. I do that and then I am told to WAIT 30 SECS. Then it starts over again.

Sorry but I am at a loss, I don't even know if it's Google that is asking for the PW or its the Tab A.

I guess screen shots wouldn't help the matter ?

I am stuffing a pillow with the hair I have pulled out...

there used to be a Google Group where you could get help, or at least ask for it. But the group is gone afik.

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
I resurrected an old Trio tablet 4.2.2 and added my new account info and Gmail account, that should have allowed me to view the Photos/ Gallery. but it doesn't. Even though I have chosen it to sync, it wants to show me the original account not my new one, made with my new phone.

The account exists on the Trio but won't allow me to select it as the default user.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hard to say if that applies to more current devices, since Jellybean is so outdated. But it at least let you add that account without telling you to wait another 30 seconds?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe