Warning!! Do not let your battery die!

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
You should be able to charge a phone when turned off and/or when battery has drained and turned off the phone. Just fast charge may not work when phone is off.

So I guess a technique to bring a battery from near death is to charge wired as well as try to kick start it through the wireless coil. I'll have to remember that.

i am very curious as to how you could possibly pair your 'dead phone' with the wireless charger???

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
i am very curious as to how you could possibly pair your 'dead phone' with the wireless charger???

Maybe he means to make sure the phone is on correctly.

My work wireless charger will not light up if the phones not on correct.
My home wireless will flash the blue light if it senses it on the charger but not correctly, when "paired" it stays blue then shuts off (perfect for sleeping).

Claude Weaver

Sep 1, 2018
Visit site
A portable power bank will also provide the slow charge to bring it back to life? This is not my original post, but a paraphrase from a post down below. I tried it and it worked perfectly. I used my power bank charge unroll 3% , then I used a regular charger. Best of luck.

thankgodIcangoogle

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
hi all,

i just had this problem earlier today. I had never had an issue with charging my few month old galaxy s8. Today i let it completely drain to 0%, it wasn't the first time though! I plugged it in and got a black screen with a lighning bolt in a circle. I tried a few different combinations of charging cords, wall adapters and outlets and got the same symbol a few times but the phone never seemed to charge. Then it stopped doing anything at all. I tried holding the power button down and holding the power and volume down buttons together. Nothing worked. Finally in a last ditch effort, i put my phone on my old "slow" charging wireless charger... Nothing happened. I then plugged in my fast charger cord at the same time and held down the power and volume down button and low and behold the safe boot option screen came up! I have no idea why it worked, but it did.

this works. This worked instantly. God bless you!

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
If you have a charging problem after going to 0% the best solution seems to be plugging in to a USB on the computer and also leave on a slow wireless charger if possible and just leave it until you have 5% or more, then you can go back to the adaptive/fast charger

w7sg

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
My Note 8 died overnight this weekend, while taking updates. Sunday morning I woke up to a dead phone, that would not charge. My buddy works for a company, who happens to refurb some of the phones AT&T take back. He told me the most common way they fix this issue when they come around, is to connect a wireless charger and once they are paired, connect the regular fast charger at the same time. I did this, and in about 30 seconds my phone had the lightning bolt on the display, and about 5 minutes later it was at 10%. Note the wireless charger I have, is one I used with my S6 Edge that I bought off Amazon for like 15 bucks...its not a fast charger, but it did the job for me.

Thx for the update & the how to. I may just go get a wireless charger just for this eventuality.

Lyndal Coote

Nov 23, 2018
Visit site
I bet you could have revived it by stack charging. Plug in for 30 seconds , and unplug for 30 seconds. Repeat for about 10 or 20 cycles. I have revived smart phones and tablets that have run to zero and wouldn't do anything a number of times. This process stacks enough of a charge for the phones charging management to take over.
I bloody love you jhimmel. I tried everything to get mine to charge and nothing worked, but then I found this post and bingo; she powered up. Only took about 5 repeats of unplugging and plugging. Thank you!
ETA: Mine's an S9+ btw but apparently the S9s are having the same issue when the battery runs down to 0%

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
And all this could be eliminated if they used a charging chip that could do pre-charge. The ones that can and the ones that don't are about the same price, so all it would cost them is thought. I guess they ran out of that. (Back in the day, when you could remove the battery, I brought a lot of "dead" batteries back to life in an external charger that did pre-charge [and cost me less than $3].)

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I've had my phone since first shipment of pre-orders and haven't let it drain to 0 until last night just to check.

It had gone down to 10% and figured I'll run a YouTube vid until it powers off. Completely discharged and then trying to power on to make sure not a drop of juice I plugged it in and until the red LED turned blue and powered with phone fully charged.

Even though best practice is to keep battery in range of 45-80% I've also heard a full discharge to charge isn't too bad and also help in calibrating battery.

I just came back from spending a week all over Switzerland and I should have checked before going to be safe... many a times you're out all day exploring the country and even if you try to make sure covered with battery packs you can still get close to running out of juice at the end of a long day and last thing you want is to be stuck in another country with a phone that wont charge after going zero with all your info on that phone. I gotten close to running empty that the idea of a dead phone from these posts did cross my mind and hoping I wouldn't be one of those unlucky few with most likely a defective battery if you experienced it.

These phones are over a year old so out of warranty but honestly now I think it would have been better to test early on and if you had the issue then you would have been able to get the battery replaced under warranty or the phone if they deemed it needed.

this is still a real problem, issue??
about a year ownership and i haven't let battery out yet

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I bet you could have revived it by stack charging. Plug in for 30 seconds , and unplug for 30 seconds. Repeat for about 10 or 20 cycles. I have revived smart phones and tablets that have run to zero and wouldn't do anything a number of times. This process stacks enough of a charge for the phones charging management to take over.

This really works! Never heard of it before but your post explaining it shortly after this one makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

I just took my old Note 2 out of the closet and brought it back to life as a Duo-only phone for my 3 year old grandson.

NL Stad

Feb 21, 2019
Visit site
Re: Samsung dead battery not charging/circle with lightning bolt symbol/Samsung phone won't turn on after battery died/Samsung charger troubleshooting

I never ever post on online forums but I had the very same problem and it was so frustrating that when I finally found a solution I felt compelled to share it. In the course of my research I read Darkpower_4's post about cutting and splicing old usb cords (essentially to manipulate charging voltage) and it sounded like a lot of work (and, frankly, insane) but it did help me to understand the crux of the problem and ultimately how to solve it. For those not comfortable cutting and splicing electrical wires I have good news - there's a much easier way to achieve the same result. I have a portable battery (iTek 10,000mah) with dual SUB charging ports (one port is marked "1A", the other is 2.1A for fast charging), I know there are many other manufacturers who make portable batteries with a similar configurations and I'm sure any of them with a 1amp output port will suffice. I woke up one morning to discover the circle with lightning bolt symbol on my Samsung phone and after an hour of charging it still wouldn't power on. I tried different cables, adapters, outlets, forced reset, battery removal, etc. I also tried charging with my portable battery using the 2.1 amp port (thinking the battery was completely dead and the higher amp port would charge it much faster). Then I went online and read about the trickle charging issue with the batteries in many Samsung devices and it occurred to me to try using the lower 1amp port on the portable battery and, sure enough, that did the trick. The circle with lightning bolt symbol changed to a circle with 1% - once the indicator hit 3% I was able to switch back to the 2.1amp port for faster charging. The 1.0 amp USB port provides less current than standard wall outlets and/or the USB 2.0+ output ports on most new computers etc. and that is the key to "jump starting" your Samsung device. From my research it sounds like this is a chronic problem affecting a number of Samsung models. If you own one of these devices I'd recommend finding a portable battery (or some other device with a low amp output port). Most portable batteries indicate the output amperage on the packaging or on the battery casing itself - find one with "Output: 1A" and keep it handy because if this has happened to you once it's likely it will happen again. Of course, it won't be a problem if you don't allow the battery to go completely dead but sometimes that's unavoidable and with this solution it's one less thing you need to fret about. Hope this helps and you find it before pulling out as much of your hair as I did

AzNative63

Nov 15, 2019
Visit site
i have found the solution. this happened to me last night into today. i tried everything!!!! just got note 8 a week ago. phone died over night and went completely dead. i read one of the comments on here and sparked an idea. with the battery needing a lower voltage to begin a charge than the fast charge puts out. so what i did was find an old android charger or fire stick charger is actually what i used. i attached adapter that come with phone in box so will fit in note 8. then plugged USB into an old laptop i have with USB 2.0. this put out a low enough voltage to trickle charge it where the screen popped on the circle and just lighting bolt with no percentage of battery charge. i let sit for about ten minutes then switched back to my fast charger and its working!!!! beyond ecstatic right now. thought i lost everything.

This may be an old thread BUT! Great fix! Sometimes you read stuff that just doesn't WORK. my wife let her Galaxy 7 go dead and it just sat there with the charger plugged in and nothing. Ad recommend Ed, I plugged it into a Fire stick charger and it instantly started charging. THANK YOU!

Almighty1

May 19, 2011
Visit site
So I actually fixed this myself. Out of desperation and exhausting every option posted in this thread and others I finally just took the back glass off with the help of the teardown guide on ifixit and "defibulated" the battery back to life.

So the process went like this; after actually getting to the battery, cut an old USB cord and splice it down to the red and black wires leaving a few millimeters exposed and get an old USB charger, I used an old Samsung base I had, A NEWER CHARGER INCLUDING THE NOTE 8 CHARGER WILL NOT WORK ex." fast chargers, QC 2.0 and QC 3.0+" ect. The ribbon cord leading off the battery are labeled "1 2 and 7 8" and on the other side it says which pair are + & - then very carefully hold the red to + and black to - for about a minute. Reconnect battery and plug the actual Note 8 charger in and Viola! You should be charging!!!! I'm happily using my note 8 right now after a week of stressing!

P.S. My back glass was already broke and is only $12 to replace. But I feel like if it wasn't cracked I could have done without damage...other then the paint coming off the inside a little bit.
Have a question, are you supposed to connect the +(red) to 1 and 2 or either 1 or 2 and the (-)black to 7 and 8 or either 7 or 8?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyblack