We can have Devour root now. Instructions inside. XD

bitswitch

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
This whole set of instructions was lifted directly from the instructions
on how to root the Droid X with a few edits here and there.

(Run means type the command in quotes [but not the quotes] then press the Enter key)
1.Download the attached archive and expand it to a folder you can find (eg. c:\devour_root)
2.Set up ADB (You'll need to google this part)
3.On the phone: Home, Menu Button, Settings, Applications, Development: Make sure the "USB debugging" option is enabled/checked.
4.Status bar, USB connection: Make sure "PC Mode" is selected.
5.Open a command prompt (Windows: Start, Run, "cmd", OK; Linux: Terminal)
6.Run "adb devices". If you don't see your device listed under "List of devices attached", return to step 2 and follow the link to setup ADB (use that topic for support) and return here when "adb devices" lists your X.
7.Run "CD c:\devour_root" (or where ever you expanded the archive)
8.Run "adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk"
9.Run "adb push su /sdcard/su"
10.Run "adb push busybox /sdcard/busybox"
11.Run "adb push exploid /sqlite_stmt_journals/exploid"
12.Run "adb shell"
13.Run "cd sqlite_stmt_journals"
14.Run "chmod 755 exploid"
15.On your phone, navigate to a screen where you can switch wifi/bluetooth on/off easily (settings, or a home screen with a widget)
16.IMMEDIATELY after executing the next step, toggle wifi or bluetooth off and back on
17.Run "./exploid" and follow directions on screen. Once this completes you'll be back at a shell prompt.
18.Run "rootshell". You'll be prompted for a password.
19.Type in password "secretlol" and press Enter then you are root! (You'll know because your prompt will now be a "#" instead of "$")
20.Run "mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system"
21.Run "busybox cp /sdcard/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk"
22.Run "busybox cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su"
23.Run "busybox cp /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox"
24.Run "chmod 4755 /system/bin/su"
25.Run "chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox"
26.Run "rm /system/bin/rootshell"
27.Run "exit" to drop from root to a non-root user shell (on phone still)
28.Run "exit" to drop back to your machine command prompt (instead of phone)

To Confirm root is established:
Run "adb shell"
Run "su" (now you should see the # sign which indicates you are root)
Watch your screen so you can allow Superuser root access.

You're done! feel free to kill the bloat apps and such. (I haven't tested killing anything yet.)

NOTE: It might be a smart idea to do "rm /system/bin/rootshell" after you have su and superuser in place as ANY program will have access to your root if you leave it (cause everyone will know the password)
NOTE: If the 'busybox cp' commands do not work try
"dd if=/sdcard/Superuser.apk of=/system/app/Superuser.apk"
"dd if=/sdcard/su of=/system/bin/su"
"dd if=/sdcard/busybox of=/system/bin/busybox"

The edits:
-added busybox in front of the cp commands
-mounted the system read write
-changed out Birdman's su and Superuser.apk to the ones from xda-developers - View Single Post - [APP] Superuser 2.2.2 - Install fixed (really this time) [2010-07-07]

Credits:
Birdman for rooting the Droid X
ChainsDD for posting the su and Superuser.apk files.

Credits (Original credits from DROID X IS ROOTED! (ADB and Shell as SU with System mounted as R/W, NO Flashing or bootloader yet) - Motorola Droid X Rooting - AllDroid Public Board - DROID X IS ROOTED! (ADB and Shell as SU with System mounted as R/W, NO Flashing or bootloader yet))
Sebastian Kramer for this blog post - http://c-skills.blogspot.com/2010/07/android-trickery.html
Birdman - for editing Sebastians work for the droidx
[mbm] - for answering birdmans many questions while root was tried (and failed xD)

And of course if anything goes wrong and breaks it is no ones fault but your own. XD

BTW: I've only tested this on my Devour. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

bitswitch

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Step 23 is probably optional as a copy of busybox is already there. This would just update it.

To Un-Root:
remove su and Superuser.apk.
DO NOT REMOVE BUSYBOX.
Seeing as busybox was already there (I think), it would be bad to remove it. :)

At least I think that's all that is needed to un-root it.

And of course if anything goes wrong and breaks it is no ones fault but your own. XD

Last edited:
Reactions: erickrocks1126

boonemeat

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
hey bitswitch congrats on your accomplishment. if you are up to it the guys at modmymobile are trying to use the same droid x method onthe motorola backflip. they could use ur help if you are willing. supposedly there is a bounty for it also if ya wanna go there and check it out.

hoganistrash

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
just followed the guide and successfully have root access on my devour :)
thank you so much for your guide!
it was incredibly helpful and straightforward.

i do have one question though. Can i now flash roms on my device? I am new to the rooting scene (this is my first delving into the matter) and am not sure exactly how everything works. thanks again!

bitswitch

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
just followed the guide and successfully have root access on my devour :)
thank you so much for your guide!
it was incredibly helpful and straightforward.

i do have one question though. Can i now flash roms on my device? I am new to the rooting scene (this is my first delving into the matter) and am not sure exactly how everything works. thanks again!

I'm not sure if we can do custom roms on this yet. I know pretty much nothing about building custom roms, dealing with the bootloader, etc. so we will need someone with some more experience to work on that part.
I plan to work on it but it will probably take me awhile. :)

camperdave

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Hey bitswitch, I was going to PM you this, but unfortunately, I don't have the postcount to. So, anyway:

Hey bitswitch, I'm camperdave, and worked on a slightly different rooting method than you for the Devour over at droidforums.net

Congratulations on getting the su whitelist app working, (though I haven't gotten a chance to test your binaries out yet) I had quite a bit of trouble getting libbinder.so to play nice.

If you don't mind revealing some of the magic tricks, I was curious on two of the things you and I solved differently:

1) how DID you resolve the libbinder.so problem? Did you just static link everything? (I was contemplating that, but ran off to a party last night before I could start it :p)

2) Where did you get the mtdblock3 mount point?
I looked in /proc/mtd, and it seems the devour sticks its system mount in mtdblock1.

Anyway, good to have some other people working on rooting, and I guess the race is on now for a custom recovery image?

bitswitch

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Hey bitswitch, I was going to PM you this, but unfortunately, I don't have the postcount to. So, anyway:

Hey bitswitch, I'm camperdave, and worked on a slightly different rooting method than you for the Devour over at droidforums.net

Congratulations on getting the su whitelist app working, (though I haven't gotten a chance to test your binaries out yet) I had quite a bit of trouble getting libbinder.so to play nice.

If you don't mind revealing some of the magic tricks, I was curious on two of the things you and I solved differently:

1) how DID you resolve the libbinder.so problem? Did you just static link everything? (I was contemplating that, but ran off to a party last night before I could start it :p)

2) Where did you get the mtdblock3 mount point?
I looked in /proc/mtd, and it seems the devour sticks its system mount in mtdblock1.

Anyway, good to have some other people working on rooting, and I guess the race is on now for a custom recovery image?

Ah yes...the magic behind how I did it...
To be honest, I got lucky. Really lucky most likely. :)

I went searching to see if there was a su and superuser.apk already out there for me to use because I ran into the libbinder.so problem too.
I found that the su and superuser.apk released by ChainsDD here worked.

As for the mount point, more luck I guess.
It was late, I wasn't thinking to much, and I tried that the mount command I had seen in a post about removing bloatware from a rooted Droid.
It worked so I went with it. :)

All the real effort/work was done by Birdman, ChainsDD, Sebastian Kramer, and [mbm]. I just got lucky that all their stuff worked together.

As for the custom recovery image, someone else will get it well before me.
I have no idea where to begin with that. :D

djratchet

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I got my Devour last month, and I am so glad there is a root now.. Just some questions. I am new to android, and I am definitely new to the rooting process. The only hacking I have done before is loading a PSP with custom firmware. This seems like the same concept, but it seems a bit more involved. So here are my questions.

1) what are the odds of me screwing up and bricking my phone? Anyway to fix it if this does happen?
2) if I decide for some crazy reason I want to revert my phone back to unrooted, how would I do that, and how easy would it be?
3) after rooting, will it be possible to upgrade to eclair or froyo?

bitswitch

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I got my Devour last month, and I am so glad there is a root now.. Just some questions. I am new to android, and I am definitely new to the rooting process. The only hacking I have done before is loading a PSP with custom firmware. This seems like the same concept, but it seems a bit more involved. So here are my questions.

1) what are the odds of me screwing up and bricking my phone? Anyway to fix it if this does happen?
2) if I decide for some crazy reason I want to revert my phone back to unrooted, how would I do that, and how easy would it be?
3) after rooting, will it be possible to upgrade to eclair or froyo?

1) Its certainly possible. I would imagine there are certain apk's that shouldn't be removed like how one shouldn't remove the backup assistant stuff on the Droid X. Don't know what ones on the Devour shouldn't be removed though.

2) Not too sure but if it's anything like the Droid X removing su and Superuser.apk should do it. DON'T remove busybox. Despite the rooting instructions copying a new one, busybox was already there. It would probably be bad if the system couldn't find it. :)

3) Sadly, I have no idea. I would imagine if one didn't mod the system too much it would still pass the OTA checks.

MasterTurkey

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
rooted and booted, now what? Is this the point where we could potentially flash froyo? Any one wanna tell me where to grab froyo and how to install? Through the sdk prog maybe...

ps. I had to delete the usb drivers as described in the how to, but it worked. cheers! and thank you.

ddschmidt

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hey I am attempting to root my devour but I only get as far as to try and adb push the Superuser.apk to the sdcard but when I attempt to do that it comes up and says that it can't push because permission is denied, is there any way around this. I use motoconnect to find my drivers and adb is working fine.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz