Well now that Textra is charging I'm going back stock/Hangouts

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Kalvin do you do the Google Opinion Rewards? My buddy downloaded it today -- set it up -- got a survey in like 15 minutes .. answered a question or two and got a $1 credit to his account from Google. That could be your $1 to Textra :).

No, but I guess I can look into that. Thx for the suggestion.

Ya know it's not like a buck is going to kill me, it's the principle of the thing.

Posted via the Android Central App

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm ticked that Textra is charging money to remove annoying ads now. I deleted it off my phone and my mothers phone. Tonight it is off my fathers phone. It is not the point of having to pay a $1 for it the thing is my parents Google accounts has no payment information in there my mother refuses to give them her credit card into the phone so all they can use it free apps and since unlike Apple where you can have one user (me) share the app purchases with other users (parents) it is not possible to even pay for the app. Also any app that has annoying flashing distracting ads is a immediate delete.

I and my parents are just going to use Google Messenger app. I already showed my mother how to use it and she says it is about the same as Textra.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Kalvin do you do the Google Opinion Rewards? My buddy downloaded it today -- set it up -- got a survey in like 15 minutes .. answered a question or two and got a $1 credit to his account from Google. That could be your $1 to Textra :).

Wow I downloaded the app, took a survey and earned the dollar in play store credits already. Thanks again for directing me there bro!

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm ticked that Textra is charging money to remove annoying ads now. I deleted it off my phone and my mothers phone. Tonight it is off my fathers phone. It is not the point of having to pay a $1 for it the thing is my parents Google accounts has no payment information in there my mother refuses to give them her credit card into the phone so all they can use it free apps and since unlike Apple where you can have one user (me) share the app purchases with other users (parents) it is not possible to even pay for the app. Also any app that has annoying flashing distracting ads is a immediate delete.

I and my parents are just going to use Google Messenger app. I already showed my mother how to use it and she says it is about the same as Textra.

I ran into this same situation with my mom on her iPhone.

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
This entitlement is not even funny. This is why we have so many buggy apps with deceptive ads popping up on our screens and others with data stealing permissions sucking our precious battery life. You'll sign your soul over to your Google overlords but won't give a dollar to support these developers? I'll use my funds collected from data hungry Master Google to pay for this when it goes on sale.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I have tried many SMS apps over the years.....and have used Textra for a long time, as it has always been the most stable/reliable (for me)!! I will gladly support this Dev! They put so much of their time, effort and creativity into developing these apps that benefit all of us! I agree they should get paid for their time, especially the small time devs who don't have big business backing them and they do this on their own time and resources! I think the Dev from Textra is being MORE than Reasonable, at $.99!

My husband and I are Realtors for almost 20 years and trust me, I know first hand about Spending tons of Time, Money and Work that we never get paid for!! My mother always says, "Everyone should walk in someone else's shoes for a day, the grass isn't always greener". Just my .99 cents (opinion) worth!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Wow I downloaded the app, took a survey and earned the dollar in play store credits already. Thanks again for directing me there bro!

That is excellent to hear! I love this app -- you just keep it on your phone after setting up and you will randomly get surveys.. sometimes earn 0.10 cents .. sometimes earn $1 .. sometimes in between .. can't complain :).

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Interesting, didn't know about this. Thanks for letting everyone know!

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
That is excellent to hear! I love this app -- you just keep it on your phone after setting up and you will randomly get surveys.. sometimes earn 0.10 cents .. sometimes earn $1 .. sometimes in between .. can't complain :).
I d/l the app, but then it says you need to have a Google Wallet.....when I looked this up online, it shows it is connected to a bank corp debit card and there may be fees??? Can you please elaborate a bit on how this works.....Thank you so much!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I d/l the app, but then it says you need to have a Google Wallet.....when I looked this up online, it shows it is connected to a bank corp debit card and there may be fees??? Can you please elaborate a bit on how this works.....Thank you so much!

Yes, that exact one. It asked me to put in my name and zip code then it error-ed out. I just went back and tried it again and it went through! So sorry and Thank you! Boy some pretty political questions!

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I ran into this same situation with my mom on her iPhone.

With the iPhone though you can share accounts so any purchases can be shared with other iPhone users. Google does not give you that option. My mother even said that $1 was not bad for a asking price but with no way to pay for the app she rather use Google Messenger then have to deal with annoying ads.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
With the iPhone though you can share accounts so any purchases can be shared with other iPhone users. Google does not give you that option. My mother even said that $1 was not bad for a asking price but with no way to pay for the app she rather use Google Messenger then have to deal with annoying ads.

You could always get Google Play cards to do this. Puts a balance on the account so that way no card information. :).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes, that exact one. It asked me to put in my name and zip code then it error-ed out. I just went back and tried it again and it went through! So sorry and Thank you! Boy some pretty political questions!

Glad it is working for you now! :).

Mr_Bugman

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
When I saw the changelog saying they were adding In-App purchases for a Pro mode I immediately looked for the option to buy it. Apparently there's no way to buy Pro mode yet but I will as soon as I see it. Love Textra and I enjoy supporting good apps to make it worth the development team's time to make it better.

... $1 for the few thousand times a month I use the app... Seems like a really good deal.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Would you work for free? Probably not. I wouldn't. I have no problem paying a reasonable fee for a service I use.

Some people spend their entire day texting, so paying for something like Textra would probably be a good purchase.

Besides, if developers know that they can get a decent return from making apps for Android, they are more likely to develop for Android first (as opposed to iOS, for example).

In addition, I don't want Android to get a reputation for having stingy users who can't even pay 99 cents.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I think that some people are under the impression that it takes a couple of weeks of easy hobby-type fooling around to create an app like Textra. Someone working for a company to develop an app like that would probably be earning about $75k/year (or more - Cisco and Red Hat both have developers who wouldn't think twice about buying a Mercedes - for cash), so $1 for an app is actually stepping down in life. Most apps don't sell 75,000 a year. (And something tells me that Google gets a piece of that 99 cents.)

No opinion on Textra's change - I tried it, I didn't like it, so I'm still using the stock app. I don't text much, so it's not an important app to me. But if I liked it, sure I'd pay a buck for it. Anyone who smokes a pack a day burns more money than that - every day. (Don't start on how difficult it is to quit - you're talking to a former 4 pack a day smoker. I lit up, then got out of bed. If you wanted to know if I was awake, you looked for the cigarette - if I was awake I was either eating, drinking or smoking, so I'm not bad-mouthing smokers. Just saying - if you're willing to burn 2-3 dollars a day, 99 cents once isn't a big deal.)

MC_A_DOT

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I got the update and notification about the paid version.

Been using textra for a couple of months now, I'll see what the ads are like in the free version but I definitely think its worth paying for.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I buy a lot of apps. This is how devs get the opportunity to support and improve their apps. If you look at most of the apps, they really are effortless, cobbled together garbage that are useless or worse. The ones that you actually enjoy using are usually done professionally. Most good apps are done by Google or OEMs or other giant organizations. But some of the third party devs we love need our support if we want them to continue to invest in the products they support. I personally very much dislike ads in apps. But, if the Dev institutes their use and provides a way to remove them via a pro version or in app purchase, I will do that just about every time. Last year I spent a little over $800 on apps, this year I'm not quite to $600 yet. I feel like we need to do our part to show developers that android is a system worth their time to develop for.

Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Android Central Moderator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chibisaurus