What’s the catch?

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
I saw an article for the new edge plus 2023. Looked up the price and saw it’s only $799 for the 512 black with the latest snap dragon and 165hz screen.

The question is what is the catch with this device. On paper it’s an absolute monster of a device, yet is priced below the best offerings of literally everyone else.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I have it. It puts to shame the S23 line and the Pixels (I have had them all -- multiple times), in my opinion. I did not expect it to be as good as it is, but it is the best Android phone I have ever had. I have not taken many photos. I am not a photographer and do not care too much about having perfect photos. Very, very pleased with it and would highly recommend it to anyone. Read all of the reviews. They are not wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: trido#AC

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Most likely, a big part of the lower cost is due to minimal support from an update standpoint. If you're fine with that, then I'm sure it's a good buy. But update support and camera are two very important things to me, which is why I stick with Pixel.

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
Most likely, a big part of the lower cost is due to minimal support from an update standpoint. If you're fine with that, then I'm sure it's a good buy. But update support and camera are two very important things to me, which is why I stick with Pixel.
Exactly my thoughts...otherwise Moto does a great job

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
In what ways do you say it's better than the Pixel and S23? What ways specifically would you say it outperforms them?
Compared to the Pixels, it has basically the same basic Android software, but with a few nice Moto additions. It is very fast, has much better battery life, it charges faster, the fingerprint sensor and face unlock work much better, it takes advantage of the full screen in apps (something that always bugged me with the Pixels). It never overheats or runs hot. It is just a better overall experience. I am sure that the Pixels will beat the Moto on the photography front.

It runs smoothly and quickly like the S23 line, but it does not have all of the Samsung bs in the way. Again, battery life is much better (on par with the iPhone 13 Pro Max).

There are a lot of other little things, but it just runs smoothly and I have not had any issues, which I have never been able to say about the others. The screen is great, the connectivity is as good as any others, and it is quick, as it should be with the new chip.

As far as support and updates, I share the same concerns expressed by others. It did get two updates, including the May security update, shortly after I got it (on release day).

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I like Moto phones, they're some of the best bang for the buck phones available. I'm using one on my backup line, and my wife is still rocking her 2018 Moto G6. But to get that bang for the buck, you do give up software support and camera quality. I've owned multiple Moto flagships over the years and never received more than 2 Android version updates (sometimes 1), and 2 years of security updates..... and those usually roll out quarterly, although a few times it was quite a bit longer.

I picked up my 256 Z Flip 3 on a Black Friday sale for $850 I believe .... and my 256 P6Pro for $750 on sale. When I can get deals like that it's hard to pay about the same for a Moto phone with less than half the software support ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

My wife will be using a new pixel when her 5 year old G6 finally dies... if it ever does lol. That has been one tank of a phone.... the durability cannot be denied ;)

PS- I had to correct the size of my phones storages... I was tired and got a little confused :giggle:

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I see people saying the cameras on moto's aren't that good, but can anyone elaborate on that? I couldn't care less if it's absent filters and AI tweaks, as long as it gives a good quality point and shoot, preferably with a manual mode.

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I think for me I'd rather get a phone that has decent third-party cases and accessories for it. Other than the normal popular cases. I like to be able to buy cases that are unique. Camera quality is important to me as well as software support. I loved LG phones but support was lacking. I haven't owned a Moto since the Droid X2.

I also got my Pixel 7 Pro for only $249 with the sale and trade in. I owe less than $200 on it now. I will definitely be able to pay it off sooner which will be so nice. Moto is generally the last on the list for me when I'm looking for a smart phone, probably because the cameras aren't known for great quality and performance. But this new one seems to be better than the budget Motos.

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
I see people saying the cameras on moto's aren't that good, but can anyone elaborate on that? I couldn't care less if it's absent filters and AI tweaks, as long as it gives a good quality point and shoot, preferably with a manual mode.
I think it will be good enough for most peeps that don't go into stuff like most of us around these parts ... telephoto and night mode is not it's strong point ...noise in shots from the stuff I've seen and heard on reviews ...daytime pics seem to be good though

Last edited:

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
If Verizon were to offer it and offered a decent trade in amount for my Pixel 7 Pro, it would be tempting to try it. Currently you can buy it from Motorola and Best buy but 3 year financing on it doesn't seem worth it on a device that won't get updates for 3 years. And financing currently isn't an option unless you use a credit card. I would probably buy a Samsung A54 or Pixel 7a before this though if I were in the market for a cheaper option other than something at a flagship price.

In the end, there's nothing unique that sets this apart or gives someone a reason to buy this. Samsung has the plethora of customization with the best displays and Pixels take the best photos. While iphones Excell at videos, ecosystem and social media camera integration.

The closest competition is the Pixel 7a. So if you don't care about having the best camera while having the latest processor on a phone, then maybe you buy the Edge plus. I still think $799 is too expensive for this though. Someone who cares about having 512gb storage is probably going to use a phone for taking a lot of photos and videos, which this phone is probably just average for. So I don't really know who the market is for this.

I think Motorola should stick to marketing to mid range phone consumers because I don't think people in the market for a flagship device are going to consider this over the other three manufacturers I mentioned. At least in the U.S.

I'm curious about it but without a way out of it if it sucks, or without a financing option, it's just not worth the risk.

I miss the days of Moto Maker where you could customize your device color. I almost pulled the trigger on a Moto X back in the day because I loved the idea of being able to buy a phone that you helped design and customize.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I think it will be good enough for most peeps that don't go into stuff like most of us around these parts ... No telephoto and night mode is not it's strong point ...noise in shots from the stuff I've seen and heard on reviews ...daytime pics seem to be good though
Let's be honest though, a Cheerios box can take good photos in good light with no movement these days. Pretty low bar.

trido#AC

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I have it. It puts to shame the S23 line and the Pixels (I have had them all -- multiple times), in my opinion. I did not expect it to be as good as it is, but it is the best Android phone I have ever had. I have not taken many photos. I am not a photographer and do not care too much about having perfect photos. Very, very pleased with it and would highly recommend it to anyone. Read all of the reviews. They are not wrong.
Thanks for this post thanks to you I just ordered BB online pick up today.Taking Pixel 7 pro back as it will not do ATT new 5g+.Think edge will as the cheaper 5g moto I have does.Thanks again for your post

Here is my speedtest on ATT 5G+. very happy with this Moto phone.Would have kept pixel but ATT could NOT get it on their 5G + networks.With Moto right on it.
https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/9386654795

Last edited:

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for this post thanks to you I just ordered BB online pick up today.Taking Pixel 7 pro back as it will not do ATT new 5g+.Think edge will as the cheaper 5g moto I have does.Thanks again for your post
Still loving mine. Best Android phone I have ever had. I never stick with a phone very long. Have not switched to my iPhone since I got the Edge +. Great phone. I have not had a problem with 5G on AT&T.

Last edited:

trido#AC

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Still loving mine. Best Android phone I have ever had. I never stick with a phone very long. Have not switched to my iPhone since I got the Edge +. Great phone. I have not had a problem with 5G on AT&T.
yes so far great and it is on att 5 g +, something pixel couldnt.well i took two razr back just not sure about a flip phone.