What a botched launch this is turning out to be!

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't think the launch is going to be considered a "botch", but there are definitely areas that could have been handled better. We will see what happens in the next couple of months when some sales numbers are released. I do agree with one of the above posters that there should be a little more information provided about the customization of the product. And it is a significant issues that both Motorola and AT&T need to address because it is an exclusive to the carrier and they will need to persuade potential customers as to why they should choose the Moto X on AT&T over waiting for it to come to competing carriers. They could attract a lot of new subscribers who would be interested in a phone like this with all of the available customizations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I am holding my judgment..

Posted via Android Central App
WHAT? Why the hell would you do that when you can post knee jerk reactions and go on a fly-off-the-handle tirade after only a couple days of the phone being available to the public, be it those on one carrier out of many?

SHOW US YOUR ANGST.

jrowe

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Google isn't competing with Apple anymore. The fight is over..

The "fight" is never over. Apple proved that. BlackBerry thought they had the entire smartphone market cornered and tried to rest on their laurels when the iPhone launched. They had more then 80% market share at the time too. How did that work for them?

In as fast paced and competitive as this market is you never slow down or stop fighting or innovating.

You do stop patent wars though because that's just dumb.

Posted via Android Central App

CellGuy

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Ok, now we're getting somewhere. You admit that Moto "botched" engraving and therefore it's not available. And let me ask you this, if it's not really engraving but is instead silk-screening, why are they calling it engraving?

And are you telling me that they can't test run 1000 backs to see if the process is ready? Is it worth the R&D money to prove the feature before launch?

And if custom engraving is so hard, and no one else does it, then why did Moto even try? We may be debating this issue on the internet, but all Moto did was shoot itself in the foot. And for the record, my dad's custom engraved 60gb iPod 5g, purchased when he retired in 2006, was delivered on time.

As for the demand being overwhelming, all you've provided is your opinion, and for some reason attempted to justify Moto's lie about 4 day delivery.

When you're a giant company, releasing a flagship product to a large consumer market - 100 million AT&T users, if you're at all unsure about ability to deliver on any feature - you don't promise it. Why you can't deliver doesn't matter.

Moto would've been smart to say, "Initial orders may take longer as we smooth out the manufacturing process, but our goal is to have the X in your hands by 4 days after you order." No complaints that way.

Hey look, I go on the internet and start a bunch of flame wars in threads of a phone I have no intention of getting. WHY, CAUSE IM COOOL LIKE THAT.

Considering this device has been out for 2 days now on 1 carrier I would certainly call this a botched release. Heck the public has no clue about this phone yet.

Relax and let MOTO work out the kinks and have fun with your One and be happy. Jeeesh. I get so sick of reading these negative this negative that threads all day.

If you dont like the device, manufacturer, carrier etc... then dont buy the products...very simple!

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
We discussed this in another thread where iirc I pointed out to you that those increases and decreases were as small as less than a percent respectively. So in other words, just tiny natural and normal fluctuations. And as you stated, based on USA only. Globally it's the reverse, by much wider margins.

Less than a percent? Apple has gone from 31% to nearly 40% in the last year, which is a large jump. Globally, Apple can't compete with all the Android junk that is put out there. I think that the rumored 5C will get some global share for them, though. In the U.S., they do pretty good, considering that it is 3 phones against hundreds.

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I think Motorola is waiting to market the heck out of the X exactly because the kinks need to be worked out in the customization process first. No matter how many tests they ran before hand, they had no way to accurately gauge the actual order process once it started coming in from the public. Knowing this, they are "keeping their head down" for a little while knowing just the tech geeks will really know about it and so they'll have a more manageable number of orders at first. I think you will see a ton of marketing later, or maybe the word-of-mouth will do it for them as more and more folks hear about it. Could just be smart strategy on Motorola's part. Maybe.....just my opinion.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Ok, now we're getting somewhere. You admit that Moto "botched" engraving and therefore it's not available. And let me ask you this, if it's not really engraving but is instead silk-screening, why are they calling it engraving?

They're not. Motorola is calling it custom printing, or something to that effect. I also did not admit Motorola botched anything, so don't put words in my mouth.

And are you telling me that they can't test run 1000 backs to see if the process is ready? Is it worth the R&D money to prove the feature before launch?

They can test the processes and software only to a certain extent. Any time anything custom is involved, the real test comes when consumers actually order custom devices.

And if custom engraving is so hard, and no one else does it, then why did Moto even try? We may be debating this issue on the internet, but all Moto did was shoot itself in the foot. And for the record, my dad's custom engraved 60gb iPod 5g, purchased when he retired in 2006, was delivered on time.

It also came from China and took a week to get delivered.

The custom printing isn't 'hard', its just more difficult than slapping a colored back on a device and calling it a day. Given what's involved, I'd wager whatever method Motorola's vendors had for doing the printing wasn't cutting it, so they're trying something else.

As for the demand being overwhelming, all you've provided is your opinion, and for some reason attempted to justify Moto's lie about 4 day delivery.

Not my opinion at all. Common sense.

Motorola did not lie about four day delivery. There were asterisks all over their site attached to that number, including a point blank statement put up when motomaker became available that initial orders would take longer due to demand. Not to mention that buyers are given more concrete information prior to their order, based on demand for the device.

When you're a giant company, releasing a flagship product to a large consumer market - 100 million AT&T users, if you're at all unsure about ability to deliver on any feature - you don't promise it. Why you can't deliver doesn't matter.

None of the consumers that are getting their device longer than after four days were told they would get it within four days. Every single one was given a date of when their device would ship when they ordered it, based on how many orders Motorola had already received.

Moto would've been smart to say, "Initial orders may take longer as we smooth out the manufacturing process, but our goal is to have the X in your hands by 4 days after you order." No complaints that way.
They did. They said exactly that when motomaker actually became available.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Less than a percent? Apple has gone from 31% to nearly 40% in the last year, which is a large jump. Globally, Apple can't compete with all the Android junk that is put out there. I think that the rumored 5C will get some global share for them, though. In the U.S., they do pretty good, considering that it is 3 phones against hundreds.

They went up 9% in the US. Why are always so focused on US numbers only? Do you have a hate on for everything outside your borders? Your choice of language also displays an interesting level of hostility towards android devices. Are implying that everyone who isn't american owns "junk" android phones? Because last time I checked, both the S4 and HTC One flagships launched in several counties around the world.

Apple's iPhone is showing its age, and global market share reflects that. I don't care what one country's numbers show. Globally is what matters and globally they're getting their arses handed to them. Somehow I don't think a fingerprint scanner or some low cost plastic phones is going to change that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
They went up 9% in the US. Why are always so focused on US numbers only? Do you have a hate on for everything outside your borders? Your choice of language also displays an interesting level of hostility towards android devices. Are implying that everyone who isn't american owns "junk" android phones? Because last time I checked, both the S4 and HTC One flagships launched in several counties around the world.

Apple's iPhone is showing its age, and global market share reflects that. I don't care what one country's numbers show. Globally is what matters and globally they're getting their arses handed to them. Somehow I don't think a fingerprint scanner or some low cost plastic phones is going to change that.

No, global market share reflects the iPhone not being available with the biggest carrier on earth in China, and one of the other biggest carriers on earth in Latin america.

The above is precisely the reason why the iPhone 5C will be introduced in September.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Lots of charts incoming. Sorry about the size. It's pretty much a duopoly globally and in China Apple has a lot of low hanging fruit to go after. The last chart was an interesting chart from Mashable that shows estimated smart phone penetration by country (top 15), for a perspective on where efforts may be focused for short term growth while markets are cultivated. China is at 47% according to Think Insights with Google ? Think Insights ? Google

Gartner+-+Global+Smartphone+Sales.png
US+Smartphone+Market+Share+-+Kantar.png

UK+Smartphone+Market+Share+-+Kantar.png
EU5+Smartphone+Market+Share+-+Kantar.png

Australia+Smartphone+Market+Share+-+Kantar.png
Urban+China+Smartphone+Market+Share+-+Kantar.png

2013_08_27_Smartphones.jpg

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Yup. China mobile alone has 740 million subscribers, and apple hasn't yet struck a deal with them. (The lack of compatible devices hasn't helped either) If apple strikes a deal with them, which there are reports they have, that's a huge market that will provide apple a huge opportunity for growth.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

I have no hostility towards Android, as it is my daily driver. I have had many Android phones, and a few iPhones, and like both platforms.
I focus on U.S. numbers because that is where I live, so that is where my interests lie.
And yes, there is a TON of cheap Android junk being sold in the U.S. and around the world. That is a huge reason for the domination of Android globally, as Apple makes no cheap junk. I think that if the iPhone 5, S4, and HTC One were the same price around the world, that you would see a huge swing in the number of iPhone owners. But it still can't compete with the cheap stuff. But Apple is talking to China's largest phone company now, and if they get that deal done, and release a less expensive (not cheap, there is a difference) iPhone, you will see a large change in marketshare.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Until Apple allows app interoperability like android does, something as good as Google Now, the ability to set 3rd party apps as defaults, larger iPhone screens, and other things I enjoy about android, no number of plastic iphones making it to other countries is going to sway me.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Until Apple allows app interoperability like android does, something as good as Google Now, the ability to set 3rd party apps as defaults, larger iPhone screens, and other things I enjoy about android, no number of plastic iphones making it to other countries is going to sway me.

It's great that you have a phone that fits you. Isn't choice great?:)

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
The main thing I agree with the OP about is the At&t exclusivity. If this phone had been launched for all carriers, allowing everyone to go online, custimize and buy how they want (on contract or full price) I think it would have been a much bigger hit. Being a T-mobile customer I would have bought this phone but, by the time it will be availiable to custimize, if ever, the next Nexus phone will be out. I'll just wait for that.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
The main thing I agree with the OP about is the At&t exclusivity. If this phone had been launched for all carriers, allowing everyone to go online, custimize and buy how they want (on contract or full price) I think it would have been a much bigger hit. Being a T-mobile customer I would have bought this phone but, by the time it will be availiable to custimize, if ever, the next Nexus phone will be out. I'll just wait for that.
Given how shaky the launch has been (redacted promises on custom engraving and shipping times), I think it's fair to assume the risks of engaging in a full-scale launch across all carriers far outweighed the benefits of maybe selling a few more phones.

My guess is they're going to get the Moto Maker kinks hammered out in the next couple of months, then really lay on the gas pedal going into the holidays.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Given how shaky the launch has been (redacted promises on custom engraving and shipping times), I think it's fair to assume the risks of engaging in a full-scale launch across all carriers far outweighed the benefits of maybe selling a few more phones.

My guess is they're going to get the Moto Maker kinks hammered out in the next couple of months, then really lay on the gas pedal going into the holidays.

Yup, this is the likely case. I don't think they care capable of selling anymore than they are right now anyway. Being more opened would have just resulted in more frustrated people.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

Yup, this is the likely case. I don't think they care capable of selling anymore than they are right now anyway. Being more opened would have just resulted in more frustrated people.

Good points. I had to remember that these phones are assembled here in the U.S. and only by a couple thousand people. The more reviews I watch about this phone, the more I like it.

pgood4

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I also think this is why we're not yet seeing much advertising. They'll get the kinks worked out over the first week or two and once everything settles down will see a full scale blitz. Relative to some of the iphone launch issues these have been relatively minor. I still remember the first iphone launch and it taking people days to even activate the phone.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Who was trying to say it should?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana