What are the two holes on top of the Galaxy S21?

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I thought I read the mic holes had a 90 degree angle at the bottom to prevent folks from accidentally poking the mic's?

I'm sure plenty of employees at carrier stores would do the same. Plus once you hit a certain age it may be tough to see the tray outline.

farhanmohd

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Wrongly POKED S21 Ultra Microphone

All,

Accidentally I inserted SIM ejector tool inside the S21 Ultra microphone hole. I also applied some force in an effort to push out the tray. Although, the phone is working OK so far. Did I break something inside? Microphone / Mesh / Water protection. Kindly clear my doubts.

Thanks!

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: Wrongly POKED S21 Ultra Microphone

Feelsbadman

It's probably fine. And if it's not, there's nothing you can really do, so try not to worry!

Really wanna post college humours wrong hole song here... "Last night...ooooohh... I stuck it in the wrong hole. I feel sorry... Oooooohh... From the bottom of my soul".

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site

Make a couple voice recordings using that microphone hole (cover up top two) and see if it sounds OK or not.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

I'm guessing it's ok since I remember hearing from some tech podcast and they said it was fine.

If it's not, Samsung is idiotic to put them right next to each other since people who change SIM often (or even first time putting SIM) have high chance of poking it without realizing.

If I remember I think even I have poked it once, felt bad when it happened but never bothered to think about it after. I think it should be fine since I haven't seen anything acting weird after that.

Deimos10

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site

I'm guessing it's ok since I remember hearing from some tech podcast and they said it was fine.

If it's not, Samsung is idiotic to put them right next to each other since people who change SIM often (or even first time putting SIM) have high chance of poking it without realizing.

If I remember I think even I have poked it once, felt bad when it happened but never bothered to think about it after. I think it should be fine since I haven't seen anything acting weird after that.
They want us to pay extra for a Note for the privilege of a respectable distance between the sim tray hole and the microphone hole.

farhanmohd

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site

I have read that the microphone is aligned perpendicular to the hole to keep it safe from any damage. Yet to find a concrete evidence.

A

Android Central Question

Galaxy S21 USB Type C port

On burwill's post photo, item #10, he shows the USB port earphone jack/multipurpose jack. Is this a headphone jack that I can't find on the S21. I have hearing aids so I can't use the ear pods.

impsquared

Oct 8, 2021
Visit site
I can confirm the bottom microphone hole holds a microphone mounted in vertically.
This article talks about it: https://www.ifixit.com/News/32804/w...ge-your-microphone-port-with-a-sim-eject-tool

Also I got youtube video reference: https://youtu.be/jc1MVKh67VQ
Go to 8:15 - this shows the bottom of the s21 with the sim card tray and the microphone hole next to it. (screenshot attached)
hY00DLJUMH.jpg

Go to 8:22 - you can see the exact open he removes the mic board part from the phone.
tVEL5l8f4Q.jpg

Go to 8:30 - the mic has nothing on the other side of the board.
q6axuak4DM.jpg

FuLiDu

Feb 8, 2022
Visit site
I can confirm the bottom microphone hole holds a microphone mounted in vertically.
This article talks about it: https://www.ifixit.com/News/32804/w...ge-your-microphone-port-with-a-sim-eject-tool

Also I got youtube video reference: https://youtu.be/jc1MVKh67VQ
Go to 8:15 - this shows the bottom of the s21 with the sim card tray and the microphone hole next to it. (screenshot attached)
View attachment 337705

Go to 8:22 - you can see the exact open he removes the mic board part from the phone.
View attachment 337707

Go to 8:30 - the mic has nothing on the other side of the board.
View attachment 337706

I got my S21 yesterday, I was tired and there wasn't enough light in the room so... I obviously inserted the SIM extraction tool into the mic phone.

Thank you for your research. I feel kinda relieved knowing that the mic mesh could have not been touched.

I wonder though... why they wpuld prevent us to not insert the tool in the wrong hole if a damage cannot occur? Maybe I'm overthinking it...

Anyway, thank you again!