What are your recommendations for headphones for the V10?

croaker68

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
How would the senheiser 598 compare to the v moda m100? Amazon has them priced about $50 apart.

Posted via the Android Central App

thisisjason

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
How would the senheiser 598 compare to the v moda m100? Amazon has them priced about $50 apart.

I haven't tried the M-100s. I have heard a friends V-Moda LP2's though. If the sound signature is similar, I'd expect the V-Moda headphones to put much more emphasis on bass, with less clarity and detail in the mids and highs than HD598's. I'd also expect a wider soundstage from the HD598's.

Keep in mind that the M-100s are a closed-back design, so you'll get better sound isolation but also probably a more closed-in sound, while the HD598's are open-back, so they don't offer much isolation and will have a more "airy" sound.

If you need sound isolation you might think about Sennheiser HD 380 Pro's or Audio-Technica ATH-M50x's. They're closed-back designs with good sound quality

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
They're great headphones, definitely my favorites. I think you'd have a tough time beating them without spending almost twice as much. I've been thinking of picking up the HD600's next, but while LG claims the phone drive up to 600 ohms, I know the HD600's have generally needed an external amp to shine, so I'm skeptical if they'd pair well

Thats kind of a myth (IMHO). I have powered my HD650 PLENTY loud and dynamically with an amp circuit as simple/BASIC as a high gain Grado RA1. So while the HD580/600/650 are 300 ohms... they are highly sensitive and efficient. So as long as your amp has enough AC voltage swing, and you keep volumes in check... you are good to go. I can say this without any reservation, the Hi gain (50-600 ohm) amp circuit in the V10 is more than sufficient to power the 300 ohm sennheisers, to very very loud levels (borderline unsafe). There are times I prefer the simplicity and sonic attributes of the V10 over my dedicated headphone amp / station. Theres just "something" about the V10 that I find very very satisfying with my lossless ALAC files.

N0BOX

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
I bought my V10 basically because I wanted a music player and headphone amp in one device to use with my Sennheiser HD 650s. It is capable of driving them loud enough for my taste (though anyone who has damaged their hearing might need more volume). The HD 650 is one of the standards to which audiophiles compare other headphones.

They sound beautiful, but they aren't head-rattlers. You can use an EQ app to give them extra thump in the low end, and they are capable of playing frequencies that Beats simply can't get down to, but they don't OVER-accentuate the bass like most popular consumer headphone brands do. Another drawback that you are likely to run into when using a phone as your music player is all the noise out in the world. These headphones were designed to be used in a quiet recording studio booth or in a quiet room set up for the purpose of listening to music in an audiophile's home. They block out next to none of the engine noise and yelling on the bus or the screeching tracks and rumble of the subway. They will probably even let enough office noise in that you won't be able to enjoy the wide sound stage and pristine quality of the played-back sound that you paid extra to get from these headphones. In addition to letting noise in, they also let your music out, so you would likely disturb your office-mates and you wouldn't be welcome in bed with your better half if you wanted to finish watching that Netflix show/movie or to fall asleep to your favorite playlist.

All that aside, they are simply the most amazing things I have ever encountered in my life. I have always loved music, and now I almost hate myself for not discovering them sooner.

thisisjason

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks to both of you for the feedback on the HD 650s. Seems like my next pair of headphones will either be the 600s or the 650s

jasonb

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I had an HD650 a while ago, and i prefer the AKG Q701 over them. Better detail, better top end, and a better sound stage. They also cost a bit less. Also very easily driven by the V10 with hifi enabled, and they are 62ohm so they trigger the high power mode on the V10.

N0BOX

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
I had an HD650 a while ago, and i prefer the AKG Q701 over them. Better detail, better top end, and a better sound stage. They also cost a bit less. Also very easily driven by the V10 with hifi enabled, and they are 62ohm so they trigger the high power mode on the V10.

Interesting. The only set of AKG cans I've listened to cost more than $1200, and while they had a wider soundstage and much more detailed highs, plugged into the same music player they had a disappointingly weak low end. I don't have a clue what model they were.

I chose the 650s over the 600s for what people said was a warmer sound profile. Do the Q701s have a good low end? I don't want to give up clean, clear mids and highs, but I would like to feel a good driving beat that can rumble down into single-digit-Hz frequencies.

;)

jasonb

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. The only set of AKG cans I've listened to cost more than $1200, and while they had a wider soundstage and much more detailed highs, plugged into the same music player they had a disappointingly weak low end. I don't have a clue what model they were.

I chose the 650s over the 600s for what people said was a warmer sound profile. Do the Q701s have a good low end? I don't want to give up clean, clear mids and highs, but I would like to feel a good driving beat that can rumble down into single-digit-Hz frequencies.

;)

The HD650 will have a bit more warmth and a bit more bass, but i personally just don't like a lot of bass or warmth. My Q701 isn't stock though, i did a little mod to give them a bit more bass because stock they are just a bit lacking down low. All the mod involves is taking a little white sticker off the back side of the actual speakers themselves.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

;)
I don't think too many dynamic cans extend that low (single digit Hz), at least not linearly. I mean there are some that do, but not without at least some "bloat-boost" from ~35-60Hz.

I am a big fan of the AKG K700 series phones. The original K701 is my fave. It has a little less bass than the HD650, and has a more open soundstage, and clearer more resolving midrange and treble. I bounce back and forth between the HD650 and K701 all the time. The HD650 is better/more forgiving for bad masterings, poor recordings...etc. The HD650 can take a bad mastering (even a lossless encoded one) and make it into a very pleasurable, listenable, and enjoyable experience. Same can be said for Grados. The K701 on the other hand reveals all the bad stuff in a poorly mastered recording, and leave me wanting another headphone... think nails on chalkboard. BUT with a good, dynamic recording/mastering the K701 leaves the HD650 in the dust (IMHO).

The Q701 is a bassier tuned version of the K701, Its around 3db boosted from 30-70Hz, compared to the K model. I think the Q is also the most affordable headphone mentioned in my post. I am always contemplating getting a Q701 and retiring my K701.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Beats solo2 wireless are definitely the way to go!! The battery lasts for a week, you can take calls with no cords but they come with a cord in case you want to try out the Hi Fi Dac. I bought a brand new pair on craigslist for $170. I'm super happy with them! 👍

Wow, they finally made some with real battery life? I'm loving the LG Tone Infinum. 14 hours of music, retractable buds, Harmon/Kardon sound

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
If you have the $$$ sennheiser hd 700's are pure GOLD with Tidals lossless music. I have the 598's too and really enjoyed them for the past 3 years, they're built like a tank. The 700's are worth every single penny for the price they're going for right now. I enjoy open back cans and also have the akg k702's which are not bad at all.

thisisjason

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Just as a heads up for anyone looking for some great headphones, Amazon has a bundle with the Sennheiser HD 600 and a $150 Amazon gift card for $400. Assuming you're gonna shop on Amazon in the future anyway, you're basically getting the HD 600s for $250, which is a great price

N0BOX

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Just as a heads up for anyone looking for some great headphones, Amazon has a bundle with the Sennheiser HD 600 and a $150 Amazon gift card for $400. Assuming you're gonna shop on Amazon in the future anyway, you're basically getting the HD 600s for $250, which is a great price

If they had had that deal when I was looking, I would've ended up with the HD 600s instead of the HD 650s, regardless of the desire for a bit of extra warmth to in my music. :)

N0BOX

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
I don't think too many dynamic cans extend that low (single digit Hz), at least not linearly. I mean there are some that do, but not without at least some "bloat-boost" from ~35-60Hz

Yeah, I couldn't remember what the low end claim was for the HD 650s. I thought at the time I wrote that that it was 5Hz, but it looks like it is 10Hz. Close enough, anyway, even if they aren't going to put out near the power at 10Hz that they do anywhere else in their frequency response curve.

apt604

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
I second that about the HD700, although the crazy cord length and open design keep them from being portable.

The price on Amazon for the 700 fluctuates a bit, so it's sometimes only a little more than the HD650. I was able to "buy on the dip" a couple of months ago.

Anthony Hagan

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Not that big of an audiophile, but I love my Panasonic headphones, the RP-HTF600's. They sound great usually, but with the DAC turned on I can feel and hear the difference. Also, the most comfortable headphones I have ever had (though I do miss the Sennheisers I had for years).

My wife has some Skullcandy Hesh 2s that sound good as well, plus they're bluetooth.

thisisjason

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
So I got my HD 600's and I can recommend them wholeheartedly. The V10 does certainly have enough juice to drive them well, and the sound quality justifies the price-tag 100%, even more so with that gift-card deal on Amazon. Of course being the gadget addict that I am, I took that gift-card and decided that I needed some new closed-headphone for circumstances where sound isolation matters, so I picked up NVX XPT100's for $80, and these are now my recommendation for closed headphones in this price range:

http://www.amazon.com/NVX-Over-Ear-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5046305

I'm loving them so-far, they very comfortable and they sound noticiably better than anything else I've heard for this price, as long as you don't need a big emphasis on bass as they're fairly neutral in their sound signature

dwmitchell61

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
Well, Hess it is a moot point for me, now... It seems that the headphone jack is broken on my replacement phone.
Maybe I will order one and see if the local shop can repair it for me.

Posted via the Android Central App from LG V10