What Device Should I get (Use Cases and What I'm looking for)

tplace 1976

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
So I'm considering the leap from simple activity tracker to Smartwatch. I'm using a Garmin Vivosmart now for steps/exercise/etc. Here's my use case, and what I'm hoping for...

1. I exercise, so steps, BMR, etc are an important function (not sure if any 1 device is better, but don't plan on abandoning the activity tracker JUST yet). So good activity tracking function is a very strong NICE to have... GPS (I know the Sony SW3 has this) would be nice, but when I'm out exercising I SHOULD have my phone on me (staying connected, music, etc).

2. I work from home (but travel often... more on that in a second). So on a day in, day out basis, I don't need a watch because I'm in front of a computer, or I can look at one of many clocks throughout my house. Also, because of this, I sometimes may wander outside the bluetooth range of my phone when it's charging or I forget to pick it up. SO something that has an independent wifi functionality would be nice so I don't have to be tethered to the phone while wandering.

3. I travel quite a bit for work (client and internal meetings). So something that is aesthetically pleasing is a strong need, though not a deal breaker. Similarly, I like the idea of traditional "world watches" like the Rolex GMT-II Master with dual timezone capabilities. I assume there are watch face types you can download that would allow for this. Something that provides primary based on location, and secondary face for "home" would be nice. Back to the look, understanding that I may wear it when I'm out at home as well as working out, an interchangeable band is very necessary. Something that can handle sweat and can swap to a nice metal band for work.

4. Battery... I know none have anything great yet, and I'm willing to live with that. But I'm hoping to get one that can withstand the possibility of being in use for some time (long days at office, or otherwise). But also, something that's easy to put on/off a charger. I know there is only one possible wireless charging device out there now, which makes it highly attractive, but something where ease of charging is there.

5. Functionality. Currently with notifications on the vivosmart, I've opted to disable MS-Exchange email notifications because (1) I sit at a desk and (2) it would kill my battery with the volume I get on a daily basis. So if there is a way to maybe get prioritized messages, or only select senders, that would be nice. Assuming this is an Android Wear function, not so much device, but a definite curiosity I have.

Anyway, those are some of the biggies, looking forward to hearing what some of the current users have to say about it.

Active55

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if I can help you, but maybe you can help me. Lol...

First off, I tried the Samsung Galaxy Gear S which does it all, but found it to be heavy on my wrist and it made my wrist sweat. Its' looks are liked by some and not others. Some think it is too big, but I didn't. I tried to use it as my "only" phone and it wasn't designed for that. IMO the talk on your wrist experience isn't that great.

The watch coming out probably next year that really looks good IMHO is the LG AUDI R SMARTWATCH. Not really sure what it will be able to do, but the samples shown are running WebOS and it is said to have its' own independent calling abilities. We will see...

I'm curious what you think of your Garmin VivoSMART. I just ordered one on eBay (arriving soon). The main reasons for purchasing it are outlined in THIS THREAD, post #2. Wrist notifications (call screeening and text messages) are what I'm really after, plus a "I don't really know it's there" time/date device.

How do you like your Garmin VivoSMART? What is good or bad about the device?

Oh, and sorry for the partial highjack...

Last edited:

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Tried to respond to your questions within your quoted text below. My responses are in bold text. I would suggest looking at the LG Watch R and the Asus Zen watch based on your questions. I don't like the "flat tire" on the Moto watch. I Hope this helps.

So I'm considering the leap from simple activity tracker to Smartwatch. I'm using a Garmin Vivosmart now for steps/exercise/etc. Here's my use case, and what I'm hoping for...

1. I exercise, so steps, BMR, etc are an important function (not sure if any 1 device is better, but don't plan on abandoning the activity tracker JUST yet). So good activity tracking function is a very strong NICE to have... GPS (I know the Sony SW3 has this) would be nice, but when I'm out exercising I SHOULD have my phone on me (staying connected, music, etc).

All Wear watches count steps, as far as other functionality is concerned, varies by watch. The most robust fitness watches seem to be the Garmin's (which it sounds like you have). BTW, there is a new Garmin Vivofit 2 coming out which I might get for my fitness oriented wife. Fitness related functionality within Wear is still developing.

BTW, most Wear watches allow you to load music onto your watch and use Bluetooth to connect to headphones so you don't have to carry your phone to listen to music.

2. I work from home (but travel often... more on that in a second). So on a day in, day out basis, I don't need a watch because I'm in front of a computer, or I can look at one of many clocks throughout my house. Also, because of this, I sometimes may wander outside the bluetooth range of my phone when it's charging or I forget to pick it up. SO something that has an independent wifi functionality would be nice so I don't have to be tethered to the phone while wandering.

The only smart watch that I'm aware of that doesn't need your phone is the Samsung Galaxy S....it has a SIM card and uses 3G, so, you need a data plan. All Wear watches will keep the time when away from your phone.

BTW, I sometimes get as far away as 30 feet from my phone without loosing the connection.

3. I travel quite a bit for work (client and internal meetings). So something that is aesthetically pleasing is a strong need, though not a deal breaker. Similarly, I like the idea of traditional "world watches" like the Rolex GMT-II Master with dual timezone capabilities. I assume there are watch face types you can download that would allow for this. Something that provides primary based on location, and secondary face for "home" would be nice. Back to the look, understanding that I may wear it when I'm out at home as well as working out, an interchangeable band is very necessary. Something that can handle sweat and can swap to a nice metal band for work.

The Asus Zen Watch is supposedly the easiest to change bands with. Uses spring-loaded pins that ease the process. Also I think the Zen uses standard 22mm band. Also looks good.

I have an LG Watch R (round). It has more of a chronograph look to it. Also uses standard 22mm bands but uses the traditional mounting method so if you are going to change bands frequently I would recommend a band changing tool...makes the job much easier.

Most of the Wear watches include a world time watch face where you can set up to three independent time zones. One on the main face and two smaller dials with different time zones. I too work across different zones so I have my home time, one for Zurich and one for Tokyo. There are many more watch faces that support independent time settings including some that use the traditional GMT type watch face.

4. Battery... I know none have anything great yet, and I'm willing to live with that. But I'm hoping to get one that can withstand the possibility of being in use for some time (long days at office, or otherwise). But also, something that's easy to put on/off a charger. I know there is only one possible wireless charging device out there now, which makes it highly attractive, but something where ease of charging is there.

I take my LG Watch R off the charger at about 6:30 AM every day and put it back on the charger at about 9:30 in the evening. Generally have about 30% of my battery remaining. Last week I was on the road with a string of 12 hour days and had about 20% of my battery remaining when I went to bed.

Another charging option in terms of "ease" is (again) the Asus Zen watch because the cable it uses is a standard USB interface type cable.

5. Functionality. Currently with notifications on the vivosmart, I've opted to disable MS-Exchange email notifications because (1) I sit at a desk and (2) it would kill my battery with the volume I get on a daily basis. So if there is a way to maybe get prioritized messages, or only select senders, that would be nice. Assuming this is an Android Wear function, not so much device, but a definite curiosity I have.

If you are using an Android phone with 5.0 or above, you can prioritize which messages from whom get sent to your watch. If you are using a version of android that is less than 5.0 you can still select whether messages (and types of messages) get sent to your watch.

If you don't have 5.0 yet on your phone and it is a recent flagship phone, I suspect you should get it pretty soon.

Anyway, those are some of the biggies, looking forward to hearing what some of the current users have to say about it.

tplace 1976

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if I can help you, but maybe you can help me. Lol...

First off, I tried the Samsung Galaxy Gear S which does it all, but found it to be heavy on my wrist and it made my wrist sweat. Its' looks are liked by some and not others. Some think it is too big, but I didn't. I tried to use it as my "only" phone and it wasn't designed for that. IMO the talk on your wrist experience isn't that great.

The watch coming out probably next year that really looks good IMHO is the LG AUDI R SMARTWATCH. Not really sure what it will be able to do, but the samples shown are running WebOS and it is said to have its' own independent calling abilities. We will see...

I'm curious what you think of your Garmin VivoSMART. I just ordered one on eBay (arriving soon). The main reasons for purchasing it are outlined in THIS THREAD, post #2. Wrist notifications (call screeening and text messages) are what I'm really after, plus a "I don't really know it's there" time/date device.

How do you like your Garmin VivoSMART? What is good or bad about the device?

Oh, and sorry for the partial highjack...

Thanks for the info.. I LIKE the Vivosmart. It's doing great for fitness reasons. Trust you've had yours for a while now (not too quick on the replies as you can tell) but I've had no problems. Over in the Garmin forums, there are plenty of haters, but I've been nothing but pleased and I'm a bit of an advanced user and will do a fair bit of stress testing.

tplace 1976

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Tried to respond to your questions within your quoted text below. My responses are in bold text. I would suggest looking at the LG Watch R and the Asus Zen watch based on your questions. I don't like the "flat tire" on the Moto watch. I Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. Still haven't pulled the trigger, and was leaning towards the LG G Watch R, but it just seems that there are still too many half baked qualities around wear that I want to see how they play out. And given I don't have 5.0 on my LG G2 yet (can't root as corporate policy brokering software Afaria will lock me out of the device, or at least deny work access, if I attempt to root, so I'm bound to carrier timelines) so I'll have to deal with notifications by the book of Wear. Thanks again for the feedback (sorry for the delay) and good to know... Good info you provided, thanks LuvMusic