What do you NOT like about YOUR Moto X Pure Edition?

Verizoned

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: What do you NOT like about the Moto X Pure Edition?

Have you tried using the volume down button as a shutter button to see if there's any improvement in the results? (May help keep the device steadier.)

Had the same problem, 95% resolved by putting otterbox defender on the phone. The extra grippiness of the rubber base and extra weight help keep the phone very still when taking pics leading to noticeably sharper pics.

Verizoned

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site

The screen matrix doesn't line up with where I touch. Never seen anything like it, it's not consistently off in one direction, but randomly off in any direction ... Tech Support had me on Chat to reset and tweak the phone for 90 minutes, but to no remedy.
I also noticed the glass rises above the edges, so if someone with fatty fingers grabs the phone to take a picture, the screen will freeze, lock or jump into a previous screen ... therfore, the touch sensitivity runs right up to the very edge of the glass ... I've noticed the palm of my hand (thumb side) will sometimes touch the glass when Typing, Swyping, Slyding and screw with the spelling of words, therfore I've got to change my grip which makes for an uneasy feeling that the phone isn't secure in my hand and I'll drop it. Seeing his way easy it is to break the glass ... I err on the side of safety, stop working and readjust to fit the phone ... this is very unproductive and NOT a benefit in any way.

The pictures are OK ... but my old Note Edge was better, which is kinda sad.

I got a replacement from Motorola - and my issues are exactly the same.

What I will say that seems to be different than many posts on this and other forums - is that my experience with Moto Tech and Customer Support is very good! They are refunding my money and have offered a discount to any of their other phones as a replacement.

I had a good experience with the Note Edge, so I'm going back to Samsung, probably the Note 5. After using a co-workers OnePlus X ... I'd be all over that phone but only if I lived in an area that has good AT&T service, but Verizon owns most of the areas I travel and all the major highways so my choices are limited.

My two cents.

100% agree with you. The bezels are so narrow that my hands constantly accidentally hit things. Also, taking pictures was a disaster. Got an ottterbox case on it and even though it's ugly it has a very high rim over the screen which completely stops this accidental clicking of things. Also makes pictures much sharper because I can actually grip the phone firmly when taking them, holding it perfectly still without accidentally triggering the touch screen.

fueradeljuego

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

Inconsistent performance. Sometimes the moto assist features work, sometimes they don't. Sometimes the double hatchet chop to turn the flashlight on works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the "tubo charge" indicator appears when I plug it in, sometimes it doesn't. These are all minor issues but the cumulative effect is ANNOYING.

The price is right for the phone (I got a 32 gb one on CL for $300, so I really can't complain) but after a while the thrill of saving money diminishes and the regret for missing features grows. I miss a fingerprint scanner. The camera in indoor low light is a catastrophe. If you are going to a party at night don't even bother. The bluetooth does not seem to hold a strong connection.

The speaker makes a ridiculously crackling "pop" whenever it turns on for a notification and then again when the notification is complete. I can't stand this and paid Motorola $25 for an advanced exchange to replace the phone which leads me to the 3rd point:

Motorola customer support is a nightmare. I was happy to abandon iOS in favor of Android and do find the latter more exciting, but I miss Apple customer service. I would seriously hesitate before buying another motorola phone for this reason alone.

MTeator

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Inconsistent performance. Sometimes the moto assist features work, sometimes they don't. Sometimes the double hatchet chop to turn the flashlight on works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the "tubo charge" indicator appears when I plug it in, sometimes it doesn't. These are all minor issues but the cumulative effect is ANNOYING.

This is one of the most honest reviews I've seen on here. No one thing is a huge flaw, but all added up it's a big disappointment.

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site

I can't comment on moto assist as I don't use it.
The double hatchet works fine, once you find the right way. I had to use it a lot in the past few days as I was outdoors and I must say it worked almost at 100%. And this coming from me that I almost never found the right way. It's a bit difficult (not like the camera) at first I had almost zero success and now I use it just fine. Some practice and you'll be OK.
Haven't seen the turbo charge problem, but sometimes although I get the "turbo charge" indicator the charge is inconsistent. It could be the plug though, I can't blame the phone.

The speaker pop is the biggest issue for me, my biggest problem with the phone. There is a topic over Motorola forums and they say that the problem is somewhat solved with MM, but I'm not sure if this is true as I'm still on Android L. In general the speakers seem to have some issues.
I don't take many low-light photos, but I'm satisfied with the camera.

One thing that annoys me a lot is the Power Saver mode. It cripples the phone. Haven't seen many people complaining. In my case Power Saver mode makes the phone very slow, barely usable. I only use it if I'm very low and have to keep the phone alive for some time. It's not the same experience I had with my HTC One, where power saver was both customizable and had very little effect on performance.

However I don't agree with the price being right and with the "big disappointment" assessment. Similar issues like these are found in almost every phone. They are not symptoms of a cheap phone. You could browse at every phone forum and find minor issues or bugs like these.
For people in the US the phone is a perfect choice both performance and price-wise.
In other parts of the world there are comparable options, but I don't regret getting it.

fueradeljuego

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

I can't comment on moto assist as I don't use it.
The double hatchet works fine, once you find the right way. I had to use it a lot in the past few days as I was outdoors and I must say it worked almost at 100%. And this coming from me that I almost never found the right way. It's a bit difficult (not like the camera) at first I had almost zero success and now I use it just fine. Some practice and you'll be OK.
Haven't seen the turbo charge problem, but sometimes although I get the "turbo charge" indicator the charge is inconsistent. It could be the plug though, I can't blame the phone.

The speaker pop is the biggest issue for me, my biggest problem with the phone. There is a topic over Motorola forums and they say that the problem is somewhat solved with MM, but I'm not sure if this is true as I'm still on Android L. In general the speakers seem to have some issues.
I don't take many low-light photos, but I'm satisfied with the camera.

One thing that annoys me a lot is the Power Saver mode. It cripples the phone. Haven't seen many people complaining. In my case Power Saver mode makes the phone very slow, barely usable. I only use it if I'm very low and have to keep the phone alive for some time. It's not the same experience I had with my HTC One, where power saver was both customizable and had very little effect on performance.

However I don't agree with the price being right and with the "big disappointment" assessment. Similar issues like these are found in almost every phone. They are not symptoms of a cheap phone. You could browse at every phone forum and find minor issues or bugs like these.
For people in the US the phone is a perfect choice both performance and price-wise.
In other parts of the world there are comparable options, but I don't regret getting it.

I don't regret it either, I really like the phone, especially the fit and finish are beautiful...sometimes I just sit and admire the aesthetic beautify of the slope where the top meets the silicon material on the back....but this is a thread about things we don't like...something else, for a phone that has such a high quality feel, the buttons on the side are pretty cheap feeling and have sharp edges. One of the reasons that I use a case is that it is provides a bit more resistance to those power button and volume rockers. Motorola is supposed to send me a replacement due to the speaker issues...when they do I will probably try to unload it and try out the nexus 6p if the price goes down a little bit. That seems like a superior phone in almost every way--except for the lack of sd card slot (and apparently there is no stabilization for video recording). I am very appreciative for the sd card slot on the moto xpe but wish I didn't have to remove the sim card every time I want to access it.

turbo93

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site

I'm a software developer for embedded stuff - car radios - and my take on Lollipop is that it looks suspiciously like a reference platform.

Granted, a lot of it is software. The amount of inconsistent behaviors in Lollipop is lower than any previous version but is still light years behind Apple. I carried an iPhone for 3+ years and various Droids for work...

Don't get me wrong, I like the mxpe but I like it in the sense that it has killer hardware at a killer price. If Apple sold a 6s+ for $399 we would not be having this conversation.

Ironically, the reverse is true in apps. I can name a bunch of apps I use for which the Android version is awesome and the Apple port is a disaster. So its not all good or all bad.

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

I've never had the speaker pop. At all. The speakers are one of the things I love most about this phone. My battery life has been much better since MM, so I'm very pleased with that. However, adoptable storage did not work well - apps kept force closing - so I went back to portable storage. Hoping that gets fixed with future updates.

The only thing I really don't like is that I didn't spend a little more and get 32GB. That was a dumb decision, but the phone has been great so far.

Got lucky I guess that I haven't had some of the issues others have had. I have had a "lemon" before so I know that stinks.

Posted via the Android Central App

oadbyone

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Re: What do you NOT like about this phone?

Had the phone for a few days. Still unsure wether to keep it or swap it for a 6p. I do like some things about it but a few things niggle me...
The screen is a real finger print smudge magnet. My previous phone (Sony Z3) Oleophobic coating was fantastic at preventing any marks. Not even sure the Moto X has any Oleophobic coating.
I thought the Silicon back was going to be really grippy but it is actually quite slippery which is a shame, thought it would be the first phone I could use without a case.
Lastly the camera is quite poor in low light, I read the reviews so knew what to expect but it is actually worse than I imagined.

wlmsn

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site

Lastly the camera is quite poor in low light, I read the reviews so knew what to expect but it is actually worse than I imagined.

By low light do you mean indoors with a few lamps on or outside at night? I take a lot of the former but hardly any of the latter.

oadbyone

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site

Any low light, just can't seem to deal with it. Even photos taken indoors with a reasonable amount of light seem to come out grainy and not that sharp. Shame as colour rendition is quite good. Was looking at the pics on the Nexus 6P forum and the low light ones from that look great. I do really like the phone though and even though it has a 5.7 inch screen its not that big, my Sony z3 was only marginally smaller with a case on it.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: What do you *not* like about your Moto X Pure?

Screen, flash on the front and I'd love to have a fingerprint scanner on the power button or on the back of the device where than weird M thing is. Otherwise, I loved the X Pure.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

fingerprint scanner would've been nice especially since even some budget phones now have them.

doorknob385

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site

I like Moto display and smart lock, but I dislike that it comes at an increase of pocket dials or other pocket app launches.

Dom12

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site

Fingerprint scanner is something you know going in if you've done your homework. But yeah, I'd like to have one too. That said, I chose this with the SD card over the Nexus w/ its finger scanner & have no regrets in that trade.

The things I think bother me the most are the curved back and just the overall size. Obviously, I knew the size going in, and coming from a sub-5" phone, I new it'd be an adjustment. But after a month, I think I might downsize a bit when I get around to replacing it. Regarding the curved back, it does give a nice in-hand feel, but it makes it a bit skittish when resting on a flat surface. It also makes it harder to find a good car dash mount.

On the flip side, one thing I didn't like going in, that I don't mind near as much as I expected to is the lack of actual buttons (home/back/etc). The soft buttons stay there most of the time, and for the handful of immersive apps I use, it's not nearly as annoying as I expected it to be to swipe for the buttons.

Dom12

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site

I like Moto display and smart lock, but I dislike that it comes at an increase of pocket dials or other pocket app launches.

Hmm, I use both those and don't think I've had an errant dial or app launch yet..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000