What does "Rooted" mean?

tqtdjim

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
What does rooted or rooting mean and why would a Tablet user want to, or want not to, do it?

Please forgive my ignorance but I'd like to learn what being rooted means and what the advantages or disadvantages are.

Thank You.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Rooting allows the user to unlock areas of the device's system and permission level that the OEM says you shouldn't have access to.

This allows you to run custom ROMS (operating system), remove or truly disable bloatware, have the option to do full system back ups or individual file backups and must importantly the data and settings associated with them. These are the most common things people look for when rooting their device.

Only real big disadvantage which isn't a concern to most is your device in its rooted state it's security level is compromised if in the wrong hands. But there are still levels of security the can be used to protect your device.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

barskin

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Rooting allows the user to unlock areas of the device's system and permission level that the OEM says you shouldn't have access to.

This allows you to run custom ROMS (operating system), remove or truly disable bloatware, have the option to do full system back ups or individual file backups and must importantly the data and settings associated with them. These are the most common things people look for when rooting their device.

Only real big disadvantage which isn't a concern to most is your device in its rooted state it's security level is compromised if in the wrong hands. But there are still levels of security the can be used to protect your device.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
Oh great. I wish you told me this before I planted my Note 10.1 in the ground, watered it, and started waiting for it to grow a couple of Note 2's.

LimperGrunt

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
^ seconded to that Lol
In simpler terms rooting your device is giving yourself full admin access to features that'd otherwise be locked by the manufacturer. It will allow you to run custom ROMs and applications that need higher functions on the device.

If you want that new version of android that they haven't released for your device it'll let you use a custom ROM to do that. Don't like the bloatware but enjoy the stock android? Too easy.

An example of the apps I like to use is repetitouch. It will allow you to record and replay touches and swipes you make so you can automate tasks on android. Rooted only. I use it on those annoying games that expect you to play 24/7 so I can "play" while sleeping still. Heh

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Erica Manfred

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I was told I can't update my Samsung Galaxy 3 to the latest version because it's been rooted. It won't accept an update???? Isn't that a reason not to root a device?

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I was told I can't update my Samsung Galaxy 3 to the latest version because it's been rooted. It won't accept an update???? Isn't that a reason not to root a device?

It can be a reason. But at the same time, rooting opens so many more doors to change and modify your phone.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

johna2u

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes I root my devices and sometimes I don't. It does allow for more customization, but at the same time it also voids your warranty and prevents you from getting official updates (at least it does with a Samsung). I bought my note 10.1 2012 used. It was rooted. I had read that a kitkat update was on the way so I unrooted it and returned it to stock. Personally I wouldnt recommend someone root thier device unless they are very familiar with android and have a good reason to do it.

Sent from my GT-N8013

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blaze_3ds