What icon is this in the status bar?

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed this dot-like icon appears on the status bar occasionally but I haven't figured out what it is yet. When I expand the notification panel, the icon is gone and does not come back when I collapse the panel.

Any ideas?

1377184959879.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Do you have a weather app displaying a weather notification, maybe? It looks like a hazy sun thingy... I've never seen it in mine :S

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That's so weird. And I DO remember seeing that icon somewhere in the forums before, but I can't recall if it was solved or not and I most certainly cannot find it again! :(

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I saw this just today while i was playing the Asphalt 8 game. Not sure why it was visible though

Here it is on mine as well

1377203550913.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I knew I'd seen it before... At least you're not the only one :S
http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-droid-dna/266200-faded-white-dot-notification-bar.html
[Q] White dot in notification bar: what's that? Pg 2 | Galaxy Nexus > XDA

Here's an answer from one of the forums, it MIGHT be your case, but others say it's related to VoIP and most have no idea what it is, but it's not only in S4's, it's in other devices as well...

"Same here, on my Nexus4. I can make it pop up at any time by tapping on any picture to hide notification bar and buttons and then tapping again to show them back (in my case it works every time i hide and show buttons, no matter which app im using - gallery, video player, youtube, etc). That white dot then pops up. Sometimes it stays for only a fraction of a second, sometimes for half a minute, and then just disappear, whether i open the notification bar or not. My guess it's just some weird FW flaw (besides, this dot looks just like these white dots indicating hidden buttons)."

UDATE: OK, doing some digging (if you search "Faded White Circle in Notification Bar Android Jelly Bean" you'll find A TON of posts about this) it seems the most common notion is that this is a sort of 'place holder' for an app's notifications. If the app notification crashes or fails to load, the place holder won't go away until you swipe down or the system clears it. But still, it's a guess, nobody knows for sure, but it's certainly an OS bug, not S4-related.

Last edited:

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
That faded white dot in the notification panel was there on my Galaxy Nexus when I had Google Now enabled. I suspect it is the same on the S4 as well.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4

jclake

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Diamond with waves radiating to the right indicates E911 is active. This can not be turned off. This automatically provides your GPS location to a 911 operator when you call 911.

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
The dim dot where the notifications usually are and the dimming of the battery and time icons seen during the play of Asphalt 8 above are intentional behavior during full-screen app usage. I have seen this same thing on my Nexus 7 (2013) while reading books in the Kindle app, and it also replaces the three main Android softkeys at the bottom of the screen with dim dots. The purpose is to reduce distractions when you are engaged with a full-screen app. Of course, this is not proper behavior on the home screen, as experienced by the OP.

May 23, 2013
Visit site
The dim dot where the notifications usually are and the dimming of the battery and time icons seen during the play of Asphalt 8 above are intentional behavior during full-screen app usage. I have seen this same thing on my Nexus 7 (2013) while reading books in the Kindle app, and it also replaces the three main Android softkeys at the bottom of the screen with dim dots. The purpose is to reduce distractions when you are engaged with a full-screen app. Of course, this is not proper behavior on the home screen, as experienced by the OP.

After a bit of testing, this appears to be the correct answer. I'm able to reproduce the picture shown in my original post by activating the dimmed-screen mode of "Alarm Clock Plus" and then quickly clicking the home button.

It also looks like OP is using a launcher as well. Not Stock Touch Wiz

That is correct. I recently installed "GO Launcher", however the icon was appearing long before I switched launchers.

Eric Deu

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
hello am geting strange symbol and cant find what does it mean i have probs with phone and i think its may be a clue. Simbol near sim.

pWP_20141109_009[1].jpg

Noel George

Jul 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

Please let me know Why these notifications? I don't have any unread messages anymore.

Attachments

• IMG-20160702-WA0015.jpg.jpeg
    IMG-20160702-WA0015.jpg.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 6

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenw0419