What, if anything, will make you pass on the Galaxy Nexus?

Deal breakers:

• Total voters

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: What's your one deal breaker for this phone?

The biggest deal breaker to me would be if the phone wasn't vanilla Android/ bloat-free. That is my biggest draw to the phone; I really want the plain Android experience, without the crap from manufacturers and carriers. Being that it's a Nexus phone, it *should* be free from these things, but rumors have bounced around about TouchWiz possibly being out on the device, and stuff, so...

Definitely have to agree. That's the very essence of a Nexus device. Verizon has never had one and the closest it came was the original Moto Droid.

For me the processor, screen, battery, SD card are all secondary and I'm sure they will be on par with what the newest high-end VZW phones have to offer. However, if VZW adds bloat and locks the bootloader or Samsung adds Touchwiz and all updates come from them, not Google, it will be a Nexus in name only.

If the updates come from Google, I understand that bugs may exist, but I have confidence that Google will diagnose the problem and correct it expeditiously.

I just don't have the same degree of confidence in any manufacturer when it comes to diagnosing and correcting bugs, especially since the manufacturer's own skin may be partially to blame.

After spending much of my time in the Moto DX group, I got to read first hand about the issues people had when upgrading from Froyo to Gingerbread. Now, some people had no issues, while it seemed that others were unable to use their phones after the upgrade. At the time, it was enough for me to choose to remain on Froyo (if it ain't broke don't fix it). I'm still on Froyo, but to Moto's credit it sounds like many of the issues are resolved, but they took awhile.

I may be wearing rose-colored glasses, but somehow I doubt many Nexus owners have refused updates from Google, for fear that they may have a better phone without them. Whether it's realistic or not, I like the idea that the very programmers that designed ICS are probably trouble-shooting for bugs on a Nexus.

If you're on AT&T, TMobile, or Sprint, you can afford to be more critical of the specs because you know that the the very essence of whatever Nexus you receive will remain pure. Anyone, currently on Verizon doesn't have that luxury and we won't know for sure until it's released.

Will I change networks, of course not. The network itself is 10 times more important than any device, and Verizon has the best. Please don't take this as arrogance and I know there are exceptions, but at this moment with the 3g/LTE network it has and will continue to grow in the future, it is the best, and even if that was debatable, I just can't give up Unlimited for any capped plan. I know what it's like to exceed 2 GB in a month and I'm not even a power user.

Verizon may choose to add bloat, skins, and lock the bootloader, but if that happens, I would truly hope that the Mods will change the name of this forum to the 'Fascinate 2' or the 'Sammy say it ain't so' phone. I will upgrade eventually, but will be seriously consider the Razr and may choose to wait it out a little while longer.

Verizon will be releasing lots of great phones with killer specs, locked bootloaders and enough bloat to give your phone gas for a year, and I may use one and even come to enjoy one of them, but it won't be a Nexus.

Anyone that's not on Verizon right now can't truly appreciate the excitement of owning a true Nexus and the trepidation and uneasiness we feel at the same time. For now, I am a cautious optimist.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site

If it does not launch on Verizon..... I am excited and cautious, remember the Nexus One was coming to Veirzon soon, instead we got a bloatware HTC sensed Incredible and everyone said that was close enough. Not for me. I will switch carriers this time if that happens again.

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

The biggest deal breaker to me would be if the phone wasn't vanilla Android/ bloat-free.

Ice Cream Sandwich: Say goodbye to bloatware | Android Atlas - CNET Reviews

CNET has recently confirmed with Google that the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update will let users disable any application, even those apps that the manufacturer and carrier preinstall as part of their business deals.
The ability to shut down unwanted apps also extends to the browser and Gmail

Reactions: zoomis

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Needs more kickstand.

Man, I'm really going to miss that on the EVO

Here is a solution for you!

iplunge-sg.jpg

TerryMasters

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Forgive me for not reading through the entire thread here, but doesn't the Nexus Prime have a notification light? The hidden thing that flashed green at the bottom center during the demo?

obi5683

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
If it came with any bloatware, if it was single core, if it had less than 1GB of RAM, if it didn't have Verizon LTE, if it didn't have a removable battery, or if the screen was the same as the screens on the recent Motorola phones (RAZR excluded).

32GB on-board storage is good enough for me. It has a notification light, but that wouldn't be a deal breaker if it didn't. I am normally only unplugged for six hours at a time. This really is the perfect device for me. It may not suit you. And you are not wrong for wanting a certain spec. If you wait long enough, they will make a device that will make you happy. Of course, when they release the device in the future that would have made you happy now, that device may not suit your needs at that time.

The only thing that hurts about this phone is getting gouged on the price by Verizon. When this phone releases on other carriers, it will probably be cheaper. Verizon customers must pay the LTE tax.

stockandroidguy

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Coming from the bionic I don't think anything can make me pass on the prime aka galaxy nexus. Not even the plasticky feel of Samsung phones. ICS and vanilla OS is what ive been looking for
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

adp192

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I really would like a 1800 LTE compatibility for this phone since that's the only available here in Australia. With that though I can only hope that the battery is strong enough to last at least a day of full usage. But then again, a large battery makes the phone thicker which is kinda annoying...