What is the proper "Preferred Network Type" for AT&T 4G and 5G?

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
4G, or 4G-LTE? On AT&T, there's a difference.

In AT&T World, "4G" was actually HSPA+, a subset of GSM and 3G which has all been shut down.

I'd have to hunt it down on my phone, but anything with "NR" is 5G. "LTE" is 4G-LTE.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Here are the options:

View attachment 362524
View attachment 362526
View attachment 362527
Which setting is correct according to AT&T to force 4G?

Which setting is the default 5G setting?

Thanks.
Just out of curiosity, what is the model number of this phone if you plan to use on AT&T? Not every model is approved to be used. Have you checked their whitelist?

Or is there some other reason you might want to force 4G?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Usually carriers don't allow you to change those menus on the stock firmware once you change the settings go back a couple times make sure it didn't default to stock again.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

jshoe413

Dec 16, 2020
Visit site
4G, or 4G-LTE? On AT&T, there's a difference.

In AT&T World, "4G" was actually HSPA+, a subset of GSM and 3G which has all been shut down.

I'd have to hunt it down on my phone, but anything with "NR" is 5G. "LTE" is 4G-LTE.
4G LTE. Which setting in the list would be for that and older technologies?

Last edited:

jshoe413

Dec 16, 2020
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, what is the model number of this phone if you plan to use on AT&T? Not every model is approved to be used. Have you checked their whitelist?

Or is there some other reason you might want to force 4G?
I bought the phone from AT&T. 5G isn't very good around here so I sometimes want to switch to 4G for better service. APNs no longer seem to work, just these settings.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I bought the phone from AT&T. 5G isn't very good around here so I sometimes want to switch to 4G for better service. APNs no longer seem to work, just these settings.
And what makes you think LTE gets you better service?

The phone will automatically pick the strongest signal it finds. If it's only on 5G, but service is spotty, it's going to be just as spotty with LTE. I've tried it back when the Samsung Band Selection app worked and I saw no difference. The app doesn't anymore, Samsung is blocking the app's access to that carrier hidden settings page now.

In my own area, I have 5G, but it was a bit slow on my older S20 FE. Forcing it to LTE made no difference. But, if I drive a mile down the road, my phone automatically switched over to 4G-LTE and was super fast on it.

On my current S24+, I get 5G+, and even though the signal is still not very strong, it's actually much faster.

And going down that same road, the phone still picks up the stronger 4G-LTE tower over the 5G or 5G+.

Just saying, don't expect miracles.

jshoe413

Dec 16, 2020
Visit site

The phone will automatically pick the strongest signal it finds. If it's only on 5G, but service is spotty, it's going to be just as spotty with LTE. I've tried it back when the Samsung Band Selection app worked and I saw no difference. The app doesn't anymore, Samsung is blocking the app's access to that carrier hidden settings page now.

In my own area, I have 5G, but it was a bit slow on my older S20 FE. Forcing it to LTE made no difference. But, if I drive a mile down the road, my phone automatically switched over to 4G-LTE and was super fast on it.

On my current S24+, I get 5G+, and even though the signal is still not very strong, it's actually much faster.

And going down that same road, the phone still picks up the stronger 4G-LTE tower over the 5G or 5G+.

I work in IT. The phones do not pick the best network a lot of the time. It may work better in your area but that isn't the case here. I get more speed and better signal with 4g LTE most of the time even if the phone chooses 5G. I've done testing.
I'd like to know the settings that would be the best for all types of 4G service that are still operable. Thanks

Last edited:

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

Yes, LTE is much better in rural areas. Where I work, 5G is ok in the morning, but in the afternoon becomes unusable. If it happens to grab the LTE tower, the phone works fine. Yes it shows full bars for both, but the 5G is horrible. Guess I'll wait for 6G. lol

jshoe413

Dec 16, 2020
Visit site
Any idea what setting is for LTE and anything older that still works? Obviously, LTE is for that but what else still works?

What is 5Ge in the list or is that not in there because it's basically LTE? I noticed 5Ge is terrrrrible.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Any idea what setting is for LTE and anything older that still works? Obviously, LTE is for that but what else still works?

What is 5Ge in the list or is that not in there because it's basically LTE? I noticed 5Ge is terrrrrible.
5Ge is still LTE, a faster throughput LTE, or maybe wider bandwidth, I don't really know - something about 256 QAM 4x4 MIMO that other carriers had been using for years and AT&T finally decided to use then market as it's phoney "5G Evolution" baloney.

But I agree on the lack of speed issue. Even when I had my old Galaxy S9 and it started picking up 5Ge (because the device has the compatible antenna configuration), it wasn't some sudden change in download speeds. It mainly held about the same or worse.

That said, since it's part of the LTE spec, you can't filter it out with the network settings.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I work construction, so I'm in a machine all day riding to different areas within a mile area. One side of the area I get 4G from one tower. I guess it hasn't been upgraded to 5g yet. In the main area, the phone grabs a tower across the Hudson river, that is 5G. 4 or 5 bars full signal, but the data becomes unusable in the afternoon. I called AT&T, and they said the phone will grab the 5g first, but that towers antennas are pointed the wrong way. (not across the river). I had the samsung band switcher app, which worked perfect, but when android updated, it made the app unusable.
This all brings me to, why in the hell does AT&T take the feature off of our phones, to be able to switch between 5g and 4g. You can even see the feature, but it is grayed out.

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I got to the op's menu, and chose lte only. Phone has been working great for 2 days now. It a Samsung 23 ultra, AT&T branded. It seems to have solved my problem.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saiid