What phones are HD Voice compatible?

WarnerYoung

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm helping someone to choose a new phone. They use Cricket Wireless, which will require all phones to be HD Voice-compatible starting next year. How do I know what phones have HD Voice capability? Is it pretty much any new phone these days, or are there some cheapo phones that won't work?

If anyone has some experience or knowledge they can share, that would be great. Thanks in advance!

WarnerYoung

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I checked those links. I'm guessing that any phone on the compatible list, which is sold by Cricket, would also be compatible if I get the unlocked version for my friend. Does that sound like a reasonable assumption? The other problem is, if my friend wants a phone not on the list, how would I check if it's compatible. The "enter your IMEI to check" method only works after you buy a phone, not before.

Well, maybe we can go to a store that has demo phones and get the IMEIs from there and check. I can't think of any other way to do it right now.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ugh, that's pretty silly.:-\ Most current unlocked phones should be VoLTE (i.e., HD Voice) compatible, but I can't be 100% sure, since there are always stories about certain carriers that don't play nice with every single phone.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I checked those links. I'm guessing that any phone on the compatible list, which is sold by Cricket, would also be compatible if I get the unlocked version for my friend. Does that sound like a reasonable assumption? The other problem is, if my friend wants a phone not on the list, how would I check if it's compatible. The "enter your IMEI to check" method only works after you buy a phone, not before.

Well, maybe we can go to a store that has demo phones and get the IMEIs from there and check. I can't think of any other way to do it right now.

Well, Cricket is AT&T owned and lots of reports about AT&T blocking lots of factory unlocked phones since technically VoLTE is considered an enhanced calling feature. Not unique to AT&T or it’s MVNOs either as VZW and TMO guilty as well. At the end of the day, no carrier has to support any phone not sold by that carrier regarding VoLTE or WFC as of now...

The safe bets are the iPhone, Pixel and Galaxy if wanting unlocked since both carrier and OEM have strong partnerships, however, it’s no guarantee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aleftshoe