What's the best way to back up my device before rooting or installing a custom ROM?

anon(8730639)

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I want to install Cyanogenmod and root my Nexus 7 2013, but I don't know what I should do to backup.

I previously tried to root and install CM on my Motorola Atrix HD on AT&T and successfully rooted it, unlocked the bootloader, and installed Clockwork Mod. I made sure to click backup and proceeded to delete the version of Android on the device and install Cyanogenmod. Cyanogenmod did not successfully install and I wanted to restore my device back to it the backup I made. It said that it did it successfully, but the device gets stuck on the AT&T logo when booting up and doesn't go past that.

I don't want to have to go through the same trouble with my Nexus 7 not being able to restore back to a backup in case something goes wrong. I'm using the Nexus Root Toolkit on my PC and will probably use the Cyanogenmod installer for installing CM11 (if there are any drawbacks to using the installer, those will be much appreciated). What should I use to backup my device and how would I restore it back to stock if something goes wrong? And if I have a bricked device, how can I flash it back to stock?

BadgerVadge907

May 3, 2014
Visit site
ClockWorkMod's backup should work successfully, you aren't supposed to delete the android os, just wipe the dalvik, cache i think. dont wipe system. i installed cm11 omg its amazing how fast it is on my low end Samsung. also you can get the system tuner pro app and that saves backups easy.
if you brick your device, you will need to find the stock firmware for your phone... and just load it through odin and boot the cwm recovery and reboot system.

anon(8730639)

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I successfully rooted and installed CM11 and it's pretty cool so far. There are a few problems with it (How do I get more themes? Why is the app drawer the old one? Since I don't want to have a recent apps button, can I make double tap home my recent apps?), but other then that, I'm enjoying it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34