What's this phone missing?

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Google Music streams music which requires high speed DATA plan , a Good cellular coverage ...etc

Not to mention, Google music is US only service (maybe canada too, not sure)

Plus, streaming music isn't for everyone

Actually Google Music does not require a high speed data plan, because it is not a music streamer.

It's a cache-ahead down load player. On an edge connection, you might wait for the first song, but by the time that one finishes playing, it will have downloaded the next couple songs in the playlist/album.

You can pin your current favorites to the phone, but still access to your entire collection.

Any thing you play will remain in cache for awhile, so it will be instantly available. It learns your listening habits.

Its not your average streaming player.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Decent headphones. All i wish it had. But i have some of my own anyway so I'm picking. Just wanted to join in :)

Decent can add a hundred dollars to the price of the phone, depending on your definition of decent.

I think the reason behind beats audio was to make up for the crappy earbuds that ship with the phone.

With good earbuds you may want to turn off beats.

HTC way over paid for beats.
Its nothing but a pre-set digital equalizer designed to compensate for the limitations of the audio equipment, but with limited ability to be adjusted for the limitations of specific earbuds, (to say nothing about personal tastes) it seems over hyped IMHO.

You can select other equalizer setting, and even when you select beats, there are settings within beats itself to choose from. But it's hassle, buried several menus deep.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
... If you buy a one x on att you'll have high speeds and decent coverage.
Depends upon area. There are some for whom AT&T high speed just isn't reliable enough.

And there is literally no difference in the user experience between the streaming and native music. I haven't had any actual music on my device since December.
Wrong again. With onboard storage, you can sync down-sampled music from a media library tool like MediaMonkey, fitting more into memory. And, as pointed out, if network coverage isn't there (e.g. at VIRginia International Raceway, where I flag and drive periodically), streaming music isn't possible. That's a pretty big diff' in user experience, spending a weekend in a place you can't stream music at all.

Decent can add a hundred dollars to the price of the phone, depending on your definition of decent.
Not really. Unless your entry-level "decent headphones" are $400 or more. Cost to produce something like $99 or $150 ear buds isn't nearly that much, so bought in bulk, a pair of $99 MSRP earbuds wouldn't add that much to the manufacturing cost of the contents of the new phone's box. ... But the lack of them puts the full MSRP burden on the buyer, but the buyer can pick his/her own. I think it's a net-zero tradeoff.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Wrong again. With onboard storage, you can sync down-sampled music from a media library tool like MediaMonkey, fitting more into memory. And, as pointed out, if network coverage isn't there (e.g. at VIRginia International Raceway, where I flag and drive periodically), streaming music isn't possible. That's a pretty big diff' in user experience, spending a weekend in a place you can't stream music at all.
Google music and other alternatives give you the ability to choose the quality of music. And they adapt the quality to the connection available. For those places where streaming isn't possible, you still have enough storage space for a decent selection of music.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I Monarch

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Not really. Unless your entry-level "decent headphones" are $400 or more. Cost to produce something like $99 or $150 ear buds isn't nearly that much, so bought in bulk, a pair of $99 MSRP earbuds wouldn't add that much to the manufacturing cost of the contents of the new phone's box. ... But the lack of them puts the full MSRP burden on the buyer, but the buyer can pick his/her own. I think it's a net-zero tradeoff.

He didn't saying adding decent headphones would increase the cost of the device for the manufacturer, he said he would increase the price of the device. There's a big difference.

Sedrick

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Having limited data negates the dropbox solution no matter how you look at it. If you try to 'stream' your music selection (because there's not enough room on the phone), you'll burn through your limited data plan in no time. Which is exactly what ATT wants, isn't it?