What's your thoughts on Moto 360 vs Apple Watch?

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Here's the best comment I've heard about the Apple Watch: "Had this been announced by Samsung last week it would have been ridiculed as ugly, square, blocky computer on the the wrist. Instead, because it was announced by Apple, it's hailed as sleek, elegant, sophisticated and a game changer."

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
The big feature that got me was the microphone. I used a galaxy gear for awhile but tired of using Samsung phones. Since having the 360 for all of 3 days I really miss that feature.

Erm... Voice actions are a major feature of Android Wear and the Moto 360. I bet the new owner of your 360 knows this!

Posted via Android Central App

Mkj3322

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Haha this is so true though. I may be biased but I prefer even the first two android wear watch designs over the apple watch.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Here's the best comment I've heard about the Apple Watch: "Had this been announced by Samsung last week it would have been ridiculed as ugly, square, blocky computer on the the wrist. Instead, because it was announced by Apple, it's hailed as sleek, elegant, sophisticated and a game changer."

Was that from the MKBHD video?

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Don't like the look of the Apple watch at all. Or the price. Love the look of my 360. The Apple watch does look well made though, it has interesting bands, and it looks to have a ton of functionality, but if I was going to do that much stuff, I would probably rather just pull out my phone. I don't know why a watch that needs to be tethered to a phone needs to do that much stuff.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
During the whole demo, if I remember correctly, the watch was used while in the person's hand or mounted on a table stand, they never showed it being used while on their arm, should be interesting to see how well that works with that crown thing, especially with women who have long fingernails.

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Erm... Voice actions are a major feature of Android Wear and the Moto 360. I bet the new owner of your 360 knows this!

I didn't understand his comment. Google now with voice commands is what really separates android wear from current smart watches like pebble.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
During the whole demo, if I remember correctly, the watch was used while in the person's hand or mounted on a table stand, they never showed it being used while on their arm, should be interesting to see how well that works with that crown thing, especially with women who have long fingernails.

And left handed people. One of the guys I work with is an Apple loyalist and was hugely disappointed in its right hand bias.

On2Vegas

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
So I finally had time to watch the whole keynote today, and I must say, this was probably one of the best ones Apple had since the launch of the original iPhone. The believers were on their feet clapping when they watch was introduced.

There's no beans about it, that thing can do more than Android Wear can, at least for now. The build quality is typical Apple, everything is smooth as silk. No mention of battery life of course, but the release is a few months away yet, so can't fault them too much for that. Anyways, does that watch do too much? If it depends on the iPhone to be around, why would I bother looking at pictures on that tiny screen? The sending of cutesy animated smiles, hands, and even hand drawn stuff and sending someone your heartbeat....uhm...the teens and newly in love crowd will love it I am sure. The thing seems extremely capable and, I hate to say it, makes Android Wear and the Moto 360 look like yesterdays news already, or does it? At a hundred bucks more (starting price) would you switch platforms?

Well half the audience was Apple employees, so yes there was a lot of applause. :D

I don't care for the looks of the Apple Watch, don't hate it either. I do feel they actually put too much into it though, which is funny for a company with a history of simplifying things. I personally have always felt that I wouldn't need a smartwatch to do almost everything my phone can. I feel all I need it to do is, tell me the time and provide useful quick glance notifications. Phandroid wrote an interesting article about this actually.

http://phandroid.com/2014/09/11/apple-watch-ui-vs-android-wear-ui/

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Personally I prefer a round watch. There is no doubt apple has engineered something of very high quality but I still prefer round watches. As for the software I just think it may be trying to do too much but apple usually find a way to make things work. All I an looking for us notifications so I don't have to look at my phone every five minutes and a watch that looks like a watch and is comfortable. Moto 360 does it for me. Had it since Monday and very pleased. But I won't argue that apple watch will be very nice as well. Not enough to make me switch from android though.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I have a number of watches, some round, some rectangular, ALL THIN. The thickness is what bugs me about all the smart watches so far. (Yes, you can find plenty of regular watches that are thick. But you can't find any "smart" watches that are thin.) Anyway, the shape and general style of the Apple watch doesn't bother me. The UI does. Way too busy, way too complicated, and it's going to be really tough to see all that detail on a 1" or so screen. Apple's tried to make the phone do too much.

OTOH, Android Wear doesn't yet do enough, IMHO. And while the UI is simpler to use, it's downright ugly. I hate the colors of Android's new UI. After years of everyone complaining that Touchwiz was too bright and garish, Google's turned around and given one every bit as bright and garish. I hate it! The first thing I'll do when I eventually get "L" is figure out how to theme it to tone down the brightness and colors.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I am not sure about that side scroll knob/button. I will want to hear from some reviewers to see if it is easily to unintentionally activate it.

I'm wondering how annoying it will be to turn while wearing the watch. I've been wearing watches for about 30 years, and it's not comfortable to turn a watch's crown while wearing it.

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I still have trouble getting over the price of the Apple Watch.

They said the price STARTS at $349. That means: the smaller watch face, and probably some sh*tty silicone band is what you get for $349. The bigger watch face will surely cost another $50, and then if you want a decent watch band, with Apple's proprietary mechanism, my guess is they will cost anywhere from $30-$50 each. (I've seen what they are willing to charge people for iPad "smart covers". Holy balls!)

So if you want the watch that was used in the Apple event, my guess is it will be closer to $450 to get it. That's nuckin' futs.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Too busy for me. Its very Samsung like only a little messier. I like where Android Wear is going. And Tue design of the 360 is prettier to me. As far as whatever is running on the Apple Watch it needs to be simplified, otherwise you will have people fidgeting with their wrist for ten minutes just to initiate a call or do something simple. It's not intuitive and doesn't feel like iOS to me.

Posted via the Android Central App

That's exactly what I thought trying to do too much. Too many gimmicks that impress on a presentation but you'd quickly tire of it and not use it. Very Samsung like. Phases of moon? Who's going to use that? Send your pulse to someone, really you plan to do that? Screen is to busy for a watch. If some Chinese company or Don'Sony came out with that thick bulky design it would be laughed at but it's Apple and the reality distortion field applies.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Personally I prefer a round watch. There is no doubt apple has engineered something of very high quality but I still prefer round watches. As for the software I just think it may be trying to do too much but apple usually find a way to make things work. All I an looking for us notifications so I don't have to look at my phone every five minutes and a watch that looks like a watch and is comfortable. Moto 360 does it for me. Had it since Monday and very pleased. But I won't argue that apple watch will be very nice as well. Not enough to make me switch from android though.

Apple fans will be swooning over it when a round version comes out like they invented it.

cjohn4043

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
There are some interesting things about the Apple Watch and some that are just "meh". One thing that I find genious is how easy it is to replace watchbands. This is pretty huge and it will make customizing your watch that much easier. However, the Watch's design isn't that great. The UI is a little too complex. For something that might last on a day's battery, you want to be in and out of whatever you are doing to preserve that precious battery. I think the Moto 360 is the better looking device and Android Wear is simpler to use. I do think though that Apple Watch has more "features" right now though. With all that said, I'm looking forward to Google's fall event where hopefully they will announce more things coming to Android Wear.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
....The UI is a little too complex... I do think though that Apple Watch has more "features" right now though...

I'd say a LOT too complex. Tapping and swiping + rotating & clicking the "digital crown" + pushing the button. Getting to where you want to be is a mess. And yes, may more features, but many of them are gimmicks or less, and all contribute to the UI's complexity.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saiid