Where is 2.2.1 for droidx?

Bravozero

Drroooiiiiddddd
Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
On the Moto DX forum, users are being encouraged to sign up for the "Motorola Feedback Network" (which involves registering for the forum and filling out a survey) if they want to be recruited as testers for software updates. As of today, no testers have been needed, but maybe "in the near future"??

Motorola Owners' Forum: Questions about Motorola Feedback... (post #14 by Matt)

Its kind of ironic how Motorola had the first "game-changing" Android device, the DROID, and now they're obsolete all within a year of each other. Motorola really screwed up with the DX, they made it seem like it was the perfect device when in fact it is the EXACT opposite. I'm not saying I hate my DX, still like it better than my girlfriend's new Fascinate, but all of these issues should have been addressed and fixed by now. Motorola has the mindset of "get a device out to the market and move on to the next one", not "let's support all of our products to the fullest". I had no problems when I owned the OG DROID, I returned it within the 30-days because I didn't think I was ready for an Android device coming from a Blackberry. I went on to own the DInc and sold it to get the DX and in some ways I regret that, yet some ways I'm glad I have the DX instead.

Bottom line, Motorola needs to get their a$$ in gear and provide the proper support for ALL of their products, current and past. I've determined that if a maintenance update doesn't roll around by the end of this month/first part of January, or if one does roll out and it causes more issues than it fixed, this will be the LAST Motorola device I will ever own, mark my words.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Well, the news today is that the OG Droid is getting their 2.2.1 OTA soon. Motorola's MO (or maybe it's Verizon's) has been to prioritize updates based on release date. So getting the OG OTA out of the way would be the first step. The Incredible already got it's 2.2.1 update, so Verizon won't be hogging the bandwidth to get that phone done first, so I'd imagine that we could see the Droid X version as soon as the week after the OG gets it.

Of course if they are still squashing bugs it could be later.

Bravozero

Drroooiiiiddddd
Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Well, the news today is that the OG Droid is getting their 2.2.1 OTA soon. Motorola's MO (or maybe it's Verizon's) has been to prioritize updates based on release date. So getting the OG OTA out of the way would be the first step. The Incredible already got it's 2.2.1 update, so Verizon won't be hogging the bandwidth to get that phone done first, so I'd imagine that we could see the Droid X version as soon as the week after the OG gets it.

Of course if they are still squashing bugs it could be later.

Yea, I just saw that on the main page. This is causing me to consider ditching the DX and getting an OG DROID to play with until a much better phone comes around (Incredible HD, anyone?). I honestly miss the OG, it was a bad-ass phone and I even posted a thread in their forum asking how performance has held up with all of the improvements in the past year and its rooting capabilities. If in a couple of weeks nothing is on the horizon (that was not a diss on VZW) and people have had mostly success with their OG's, I will consider doing it.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Its kind of ironic how Motorola had the first "game-changing" Android device, the DROID, and now they're obsolete all within a year of each other. Motorola really screwed up with the DX, they made it seem like it was the perfect device when in fact it is the EXACT opposite. I'm not saying I hate my DX, still like it better than my girlfriend's new Fascinate, but all of these issues should have been addressed and fixed by now. Motorola has the mindset of "get a device out to the market and move on to the next one", not "let's support all of our products to the fullest". I had no problems when I owned the OG DROID, I returned it within the 30-days because I didn't think I was ready for an Android device coming from a Blackberry. I went on to own the DInc and sold it to get the DX and in some ways I regret that, yet some ways I'm glad I have the DX instead.

Bottom line, Motorola needs to get their a$$ in gear and provide the proper support for ALL of their products, current and past. I've determined that if a maintenance update doesn't roll around by the end of this month/first part of January, or if one does roll out and it causes more issues than it fixed, this will be the LAST Motorola device I will ever own, mark my words.

Most of the smartphones that I have had in the past four years have had issues. Some of them have had major issues. I had the EVO for a couple of months and there were a lot of bugs to be worked out. Palm Pre was the worst and the Hero still has problems. There have been multiple software malfunctions with many of the BlackBerry devices that I have owned. I say this to say, smartphones will have problems. You just have to wait for the updates and see them get better. Problem is that no one wants to wait and it sucks that these phones aren't perfect out of the box. But that seems to be the constant across the board. Be patient, it should get better.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I've played with an OG Droid plenty, and while I'm sure it suits the needs of many I wouldn't trade my X for it at all. Honestly, I'm unsure why some people have near constant problems with a phone and others have almost none at all. My X has be rock solid since launch day, and I've pushed it plenty hard to see what it could take.

But to each their own.

Kupe

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
I've played with an OG Droid plenty, and while I'm sure it suits the needs of many I wouldn't trade my X for it at all. Honestly, I'm unsure why some people have near constant problems with a phone and others have almost none at all. My X has be rock solid since launch day, and I've pushed it plenty hard to see what it could take.
Thanks. Same here. My DX has made me care less about things like the pending release of the iPhone on VZW.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
My Droid X WAS great on 2.1 but when Froyo hit, the device took a turn for the worst. I have already laid out what is wrong with the device, so I won't do it here, but I am hoping for basically ANY update to this device.

Reactions: Bravozero

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
As much as I love the X, the more time that goes by the more I start looking at other devices, while the bugs are not huge they are inconveniencing, if HTC puts something out in the same league as the evo and X before the update I will be switching.

judasmachine

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
I am not sure that it changes much. A more important question is where is the bug fix update? Maybe they are merging them and that is what is taking so much time.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I know there are a lot of people who don't like the idea of rooting (because it voids your warranty...eyes rolling), but I've been running the ApeX ROM since 2.2 came out and don't have a single issue with my phone. It's not very difficult to fix this problem on your own.

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
As much as I love the X, the more time that goes by the more I start looking at other devices, while the bugs are not huge they are inconveniencing, if HTC puts something out in the same league as the evo and X before the update I will be switching.

The problem is that any device of this caliber from any manufacturer is going to have bugs. My colleagues with HTC products (Evos, Incs, etc.) have just as many gripes as those complaining about Moto. I simply don't believe any one manufacturer is providing significantly better support and/or manufactured product at this price point.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
The problem is that any device of this caliber from any manufacturer is going to have bugs. My colleagues with HTC products (Evos, Incs, etc.) have just as many gripes as those complaining about Moto. I simply don't believe any one manufacturer is providing significantly better support and/or manufactured product at this price point.

Ya I know they all have their problems but I have the typical grass is greener on the other side mentality :p just seems like they get fixes quicker

miamifin33

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
You folks with issues need to go the route of rooting. I just took the dive recently and have. Already fixed many of the problems I was experiencing. My phone is performing so much better now.

judasmachine

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
You folks with issues need to go the route of rooting. I just took the dive recently and have. Already fixed many of the problems I was experiencing. My phone is performing so much better now.

I have to second this notion. I guess I was one of the fortunate ones that Froyo didn't mess up, but with rooting it's that much more polished.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky