Where is the "5G" icon on my phone screen?

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I received my new S22 Ultra phone today and went to a local Verizon store to have them install a brand new 5G SIM card into the new phone. A few minutes later the phone worked perfectly and I saw the 5G symbol at top right of the screen. But a short time later it showed 4G instead. I did a soft reset of the phone and it still only shows 4G. What happened to the 5G signal? I had it initially when the phone was first activated. I'm near downtown San Francisco, a major metropolitan area that should have 5G signal. Any solution?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I received my new S22 Ultra phone today and went to a local Verizon store to have them install a brand new 5G SIM card into the new phone. A few minutes later the phone worked perfectly and I saw the 5G symbol at top right of the screen. But a short time later it showed 4G instead. I did a soft reset of the phone and it still only shows 4G. What happened to the 5G signal? I had it initially when the phone was first activated. I'm near downtown San Francisco, a major metropolitan area that should have 5G signal. Any solution?
Check with Verizon to see if it is a 5G area which it probably is and if let them trouble shoot it. Incidently it should pickup 5G even from a card that came from a prior device without 5G.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Check with Verizon to see if it is a 5G area which it probably is and if let them trouble shoot it. Incidently it should pickup 5G even from a card that came from a prior device without 5G.
I have Verizon and put my old SIM from my S10+, which was not 5G capable, in my new unlocked S22 Ultra. Yesterday at home I got 5G. Today I visited a different neighbourhood and got 5G ultra wideband.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I have Verizon and put my old SIM from my S10+, which was not 5G capable, in my new unlocked S22 Ultra. Yesterday at home I got 5G. Today I visited a different neighbourhood and got 5G ultra wideband.

Yeah I'm not sure what's up with that. So when they first turned on 5G all of the stories were about how there was no need to change SIM cards or get new ones and when I had my S20 I got 5G without any issues. Then we switched to AT&T for a few months and they gave us all the same SIM card, two 5G phones and one 4G. When we went back to Verizon during the switch they made a big deal out of putting 5G SIMs in the two and a 4G in the other. Seemed odd but I assumed it was just marketing of some kind even though no one sees your SIM or maybe just to make us feel good, like look what you're getting, aren't you impressed, type thing. Whatever. Anyway I will say that things don't seem as solid as they did just a few months ago when all I had was my old SIM from before "5G". I mean it is definitely better than AT&T, don't get me wrong, but just not as solid as I remember. Maybe I'm projecting due to how much I hated AT&T and I'm misremembering but so far as I know I've never seen anything other than at this switch that says a different card or type of card is needed for 5G.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I'm not sure what's up with that. So when they first turned on 5G all of the stories were about how there was no need to change SIM cards or get new ones and when I had my S20 I got 5G without any issues. Then we switched to AT&T for a few months and they gave us all the same SIM card, two 5G phones and one 4G. When we went back to Verizon during the switch they made a big deal out of putting 5G SIMs in the two and a 4G in the other. Seemed odd but I assumed it was just marketing of some kind even though no one sees your SIM or maybe just to make us feel good, like look what you're getting, aren't you impressed, type thing. Whatever. Anyway I will say that things don't seem as solid as they did just a few months ago when all I had was my old SIM from before "5G". I mean it is definitely better than AT&T, don't get me wrong, but just not as solid as I remember. Maybe I'm projecting due to how much I hated AT&T and I'm misremembering but so far as I know I've never seen anything other than at this switch that says a different card or type of card is needed for 5G.
I won't know, but Verizon might have given me a new SIM if I bought the phone from them, rather than from Samsung. I doubt if one carrier is any different than others.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Verizon 5G has very short range, I rarely pick it up with my Note 20, literally only parts of some buildings lol

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Verizon 5G has very short range, I rarely pick it up with my Note 20, literally only parts of some buildings lol

Are you also in San Francisco but hardly get 5G cell service via Verizon? Granted, I'm getting a stronger signal from my S22 Ultra versus my old Note 10+ but I thought it would be 5G service 24/7. I guess that was just a fantasy, haha!

donb2010

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Are you also in San Francisco but hardly get 5G cell service via Verizon? Granted, I'm getting a stronger signal from my S22 Ultra versus my old Note 10+ but I thought it would be 5G service 24/7. I guess that was just a fantasy, haha!

5G signal is stronger in some areas and in those areas that are not the signal will switch to 4G.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjhe29