Where's all my RAM???

bntran02

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Somethings not right. This phone is spec'ed at 1024MB but I only see a total of 680MB if you add up used and unused RAM. Also, my total unused memory is usually about 80MB which also seems very low. Is the rest of it just invisible to the user??

What's up with that? How is it all being used?? My Epic 4G Touch always had about 300MB free and about 500MB used which was much more reasonable.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Where are you looking?
I click on Settings - Storage
Internal Storage 2.09GB Total
Apps 770MB
Available 1.34GB
Phone Storage 9.93GB Total
Available 8.66GB
Storage Card 29.71GB Total
Available 9.91 GB

Anthonicia

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Go under settings-apps-running. The bottom shows the used/unused RAM. Mine is right around 200 mb unused. I see what u mean about the total being less than 1gb. The other RAM is being used by cached background processes.

From the same apps/running screen hit menu-show cached processes. HTC sense takes up 81mb right off the bat.

Can't wait for some custom roms to alleviate this bloatware. Also, the multi-tasking needs to be redone. More and more I'm having issues with not being where I left off on certain apps. This forum is one.

Sent from OG EVO LTE with Android Central Forums

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
What I want to know us why so many of those apps in the list show "restarting" as their status? Why are these always restarting? Is this senses aggressive multitasking at work?

ailima

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
The issue here is HTC's complete lack of foresight. I have 22MB "free". The unfortunate fact is that 1GB of RAM is apparently not enough to run all my apps. When the built in lowmemorykiller comes around and drops my apps/services, they then have to reload. So there is always a queue of unloading and then loading of apps. It's a battery waster - but worse than that, it doesn't allow me to multi task. What's the use of a multi tasking OS if I can't switch between two apps without them reloading _every_ time??

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
The main culprit of the missing ram is the GPU as it doesn't have any dedicated memory. There is a fixed amount of RAM that is set aside for the GPU. I would say probably around 256MB. 720p resolution is not cheap on required video ram. The rest of the missing RAM is reserved for the OS

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvagmailaccounts