Question Which is better?

Sjb90

Dec 17, 2023
Visit site
Pixel 8 pro or honor magic 5 pro?

I'm after a new phone I currently have a Samsung s20fe. I've had it for 4 years and never been too impressed with the cameras and battery life. When compared to my previous honor 20.

I'm tempted to go for the magic 5 pro. But the pixel 8 pro also appeals to me. I want a phone with good optical zoom. Maybe there's another option? I don't like the Samsung s24 ultra, just too square.

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
I've heard some good things about the Honor but I've never had my hands on one or it's software.. I came across this post on Reddit with some comparisons that might help.. what is the price difference on the two phones? I'm partial to Google software myself but that's what I know and that's what I like but not everyone that is important to them..

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I can't compare directly, but I can tell you that Pixels have excellent optical zoom. Here's a recent example from my Pixel 7 Pro (Makapu'u Lighthouse on Oahu) -- I think the zoom was around 5x, which would be all optical (beyond that, it's digital, thanks to the computational SuperRes zoom, which is also pretty amazing).

PXL_20240216_231205489.jpg

PXL_20240216_231455411.jpg

Another thing to be cautious about when it comes to Chinese phones is that those manufacturers tend to to go overboard with aggressive task-killing, in order to preserve battery. I had a TCL tablet whose firmware wouldn't even allow Spotify or YouTube Music to play in the background, and this kind of thing is pretty common with Chinese manufacturers. I'm not saying that Honor does this for sure, but it's worth looking into if you seriously plan on getting one.

Sjb90

Dec 17, 2023
Visit site
Yeah I remember my honor 20 easily lasting 2 days but that was because of the software killing various processes but I can't say it stopped me from doing anything, or that I noticed anyway. Those photos look nice

Reactions: B. Diddy

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You can turn off the Smooth Display toggle, which keeps the display at 60 Hz. There's also Battery Saver mode which will limit certain visual effects, background activity, and turn on Dark Mode.

Reactions: Laura Knotek