Which model has the B & O DAC

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Does anyone know if there is a significant difference? Do all foreign models have it?

Most of the international models do carry the B&O sound signature. The major difference would be the carrier frequency. You just need to find something compatible your carrier. For example, the H990DS or F800L V20 models are compatible with the AT&T network. You might be missing a band or two with the switch, but the sound signature is something you will definitely apprciate more.

Last edited:

anon(9467178)

May 26, 2015
Visit site
My theory as to why they didn't include the B&O sound in the USA models was because many U.S. based audiophiles consider B&O to be a design oriented company that's more in tune with European style as opposed to a raw upgrade of sound quality in a functional workhorse device.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I think both phones are the same. B&O isn't a well known company in the US so there's no point of advertising that. I think all V20's have the same hardware but slightly tuned for each carrier (frequency bands, branding, bloatware, etc.).

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I think both phones are the same. B&O isn't a well known company in the US so there's no point of advertising that. I think all V20's have the same hardware but slightly tuned for each carrier (frequency bands, branding, bloatware, etc.).

I heard bad things about the B&O software

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
What are the bad things,Mike?

From what I know the DAC is the same in all versions, so I'm referring to B&O play specifically.
Maybe bad is the wrong term. Probably overrated as I have heard from more than one source that the B&O play software wasn't that great or at least not a big deal if you don't have it. If you have it fine. More marketing than anything

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
From what I know the DAC is the same in all versions, so I'm referring to B&O play specifically.
Maybe bad is the wrong term. Probably overrated as I have heard from more than one source that the B&O play software wasn't that great or at least not a big deal if you don't have it. If you have it fine. More marketing than anything

Can I ask something a little off topic - how do you like the music sound quality in the V20 compared to other phones you have had in the past? The DAC is one of the main items that make me interested in the V20.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Can I ask something a little off topic - how do you like the music sound quality in the V20 compared to other phones you have had in the past? The DAC is one of the main items that make me interested in the V20.
Sure.... Ask away. All I can say is there is nothing like it. I'm hearing things in my music that I never heard before and after years of abusing my hearing as a sound engineer for mostly live work my hearing is missing some of the upper frequencies. You don't necessarily have to use the best sound files to enjoy it but it helps. Its also essential to use a good pair of headphones. They don't always have to be expensive. There are bargains out there that sound great. If you want to know more about what I think about a specific model just ask.
To sum it all up.... I would never buy another phone without a HiFi DAC, unless they stop putting them in phones.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
^ I'm with you there, the DAC is incredible. Its why I am not even considering the G6. I went from the V10 with DAC, to the G5 without one, and then to the V20. Those few months with the G5 were painful due to its weak audio sound.

As far as B&O, I wasn't impressed at all with those free headphones that came with the V20 at launch. Not enough punch or bass too them, and very flimsy wires. I purchased a bluetooth portable B&O speaker as well few weeks ago, and promptly returned it. So, I've really never been impressed by anything from B&O.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I am tired of phones that have just average music playback. I like a lot about the V20. I have stopped buying phones when they first come out. I generally wait a while for the price to come down. I also like to see how the phones are holding up for most of the users. Thanks for taking time to answer my question!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I am tired of phones that have just average music playback. I like a lot about the V20. I have stopped buying phones when they first come out. I generally wait a while for the price to come down. I also like to see how the phones are holding up for most of the users. Thanks for taking time to answer my question!

Smart move not buying a phone until the price fits your bill. If you have any further questions.... Just ask. I will respond if I see the post or someone will most likely dive in to answer your question. There are a lot of friendly helpful people here at AC.

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

I have to disagree. I have two V20 models, one with B&O tuning (F800L) & a carrier variant without tuning (H910). The difference is very clear & pronounced. They both have different sound profiles/signatures. There is no extra B&O software on the phone you can point to, the tuning is all done internally. They literally took a good phone, & turned it into something amazing. Also keep in mind that good hardware alone is not enough. Good hardware needs (expert) fine tuning to take advantage of it's full potential (ie perform better). The B&O model was reviewed here: http://www.ubergizmo.com/articles/lg-v20-quad-dac-how-it-works/

Just to put this out there...the B&O brand name is world renowned & carries a lot of weight. Their products are typically top of the line & only fitted in top of the line cars. They have been in the audio engineering business for over 92 years. They just don't kindly put their name on anything just for fun. Only a few can compete, maybe the likes of Bowers & Wilkins.

Just for fun...This partnership between LG & B&O has also not gone unnoticed. Samsung is catching on quickily & also starting to do the same with the S8 which should have it's sound profile tuned by AKG.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I have to disagree. I have two V20 models, one with B&O tuning (F800L) & a carrier variant without tuning (H910). The difference is very clear & pronounced. They both have different sound profiles/signatures. There is no extra B&O software on the phone you can point to, the tuning is all done internally. They literally took a good phone, & turned it into something amazing. Also keep in mind that good hardware alone is not enough. Good hardware needs (expert) fine tuning to take advantage of it's full potential (ie perform better). The B&O model was reviewed here: http://www.ubergizmo.com/articles/lg-v20-quad-dac-how-it-works/

Just to put this out there...the B&O brand name is world renowned & carries a lot of weight. Their products are typically top of the line & only fitted in top of the line cars. They have been in the audio engineering business for over 92 years. They just don't kindly put their name on anything just for fun. Only a few can compete, maybe the likes of Bowers & Wilkins.

Just for fun...This partnership between LG & B&O has also not gone unnoticed. Samsung is catching on quickily & also starting to do the same with the S8 which should have it's sound profile tuned by AKG.

You can disagree as well as anyone with an opinion.
The the article you source doesn't do a comparison of B&O vs. USA models.
Of course they have different sound signatures... So does using different music players. Same DAC different software. The B&O software sets up the amp gain differently. Any difference you hear is subjective as to whether or not there is an improvement.
There are no physical hardware adjustments that I am aware of. If they exist, show me.

Last edited: