Whitestone Dome Removal Fail - Portion is left - Need ideas for removal

BJB1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I bought my first Whitestone Dome protector a few months ago based on the review here and loved it. Since then, I have recommended it and also bought multiple ones for various phones I help people with and have installed. I have also had to remove 3 or 4 due to cracks and have done so without an issue. I have probably done 4 removals and 10 installs.

Now this last time I tried to remove one from my Note 10+. no matter how careful I was all 4 sides cracked before complete removal. First time that has ever happened. I have a section in the middle of the phone that is not coming up with the usual guitar pick method or some old plastic cards from long-ago protectors.

Support from WS just sent me the standard removal instructions which do not help. I know how do do it when it works correctly, but I have an issue where of course I cannot use the normal method.

I was hopeful Whitestone would provide some specific suggestions but I am reaching out here for ideas as they have not. I have read about heating it up (but may hurt the phone), using alcohol and letting alcohol seep in to the edges (but someone said it may hurt the ameo coating on the glass screen- true?), some specific UV goop remover that I just saw a picture of, using teeth floss string dipped in alcohol and sawing it under the glass (same issue with the liquid, does it hurt the screen?).

One thought about alcohol....if that really does hurt the screen, why is it provided to clean screens before we install protectors? :)

Anyway, looking for some quick ideas. I so liked that protector until I ran into this. :(
I know I am not the first to run into this, but I do not see a consensus on the best way to remove without hurting the screen. And the pretty videos about how easy they are to remove.....well.... they do not help.

Thanks,
BJB1

Reactions: jlhiowa

BJB1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I bought my first Whitestone Dome protector a few months ago based on the review here and loved it. Since then, I have recommended it and also bought multiple ones for various phones I help people with and have installed. I have also had to remove 3 or 4 due to cracks and have done so without an issue. I have probably done 4 removals and 10 installs.

Now this last time I tried to remove one from my Note 10+. no matter how careful I was all 4 sides cracked before complete removal. First time that has ever happened. I have a section in the middle of the phone that is not coming up with the usual guitar pick method or some old plastic cards from long-ago protectors.

Support from WS just sent me the standard removal instructions which do not help. I know how do do it when it works correctly, but I have an issue where of course I cannot use the normal method.

I was hopeful Whitestone would provide some specific suggestions but I am reaching out here for ideas as they have not. I have read about heating it up (but may hurt the phone), using alcohol and letting alcohol seep in to the edges (but someone said it may hurt the ameo coating on the glass screen- true?), some specific UV goop remover that I just saw a picture of, using teeth floss string dipped in alcohol and sawing it under the glass (same issue with the liquid, does it hurt the screen?).

One thought about alcohol....if that really does hurt the screen, why is it provided to clean screens before we install protectors? :)

Anyway, looking for some quick ideas. I so liked that protector until I ran into this. :(
I know I am not the first to run into this, but I do not see a consensus on the best way to remove without hurting the screen. And the pretty videos about how easy they are to remove.....well.... they do not help.

Thanks,
BJB1

Since Android Central reviewed the product perhaps there is someone there that can assist and get me in contact with someone?
Just a thought...

Seems like with an issue like this, they should be very specific about what should be done. But I need to use my phone....

BJB1

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
How about gently heating up first with a hair dryer (not a real heat gun)
Phone/screen can take a fair amount of heat fron the phone itself so a hair dryer might just be enough to then using the credit card method

BJB1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
How about gently heating up first with a hair dryer (not a real heat gun)
Phone/screen can take a fair amount of heat fron the phone itself so a hair dryer might just be enough to then using the credit card method

Thanks for the reply and tip. Their suggestion was indeed that, a hair dyer and a credit card. I did this...... It took a long time, but I did get it off. It is not like heating it made it just come right off.....it just loosened up the edges enough to allow me to scrape small pieces off and had to do multiple times.

My concern and question is still how to avoid this in the future? I have removed 3 or 4 before and none were even close to as bonded on as this. And I timed the UV curing spot on... Don't understand why so different.

Thanks,
BJB1

BJB1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Are there any other Note 10+ glass alternatives to the whitestone dome that allow fingerprint use?

I want phone supporr too and Zagg has that. But I don't really consider the Zagg hybrid glass, well glass. And it has a black border that ruins the cutout camera.

Are there any others?
Thanks,
BJB1

BJB1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Looking for a glass screen protector for an upcoming new S20. I see Android Central still considers Whitestone Dome the "gold standard". Given the very real issue I had with removal, is there a non UV light glass choice for the S20? I see Zagg does not have a real glass protector. Best of the rest?

BJB1

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply and tip. Their suggestion was indeed that, a hair dyer and a credit card. I did this...... It took a long time, but I did get it off. It is not like heating it made it just come right off.....it just loosened up the edges enough to allow me to scrape small pieces off and had to do multiple times.

My concern and question is still how to avoid this in the future? I have removed 3 or 4 before and none were even close to as bonded on as this. And I timed the UV curing spot on... Don't understand why so different.

Thanks,
BJB1
They way I've removed mine in the past is to gently lift the protector with just enough pressure so that it basically comes off by itself a little at a time. If it starts to crack I then go to another spot or corner. I use my finger nail but your guitar pick should work. I never preheat mine before removal but that would help.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Looking for a glass screen protector for an upcoming new S20. I see Android Central still considers Whitestone Dome the "gold standard". Given the very real issue I had with removal, is there a non UV light glass choice for the S20? I see Zagg does not have a real glass protector. Best of the rest?

BJB1
There are very few alternatives. If you want the FPS to work, Whitestone is still the best.

BJB1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
There are very few alternatives. If you want the FPS to work, Whitestone is still the best.

Thanks to all. My Note 10 removal disaster was 5 months ago, just looking for an alternative for a different phone. Still traumatized from that!

This S20 user does not care about biometrics and does not use it. So that is why I am okay with a different tempered glass solution. Any suggestions?

Whitestone may be the best protector, and I see it is still recommended. And once applied, the glass and feel is indeed great. But what I had to do to remove one from my almost new Note 10+ was terrifying. And they could not explain why other times I removed them it was easy, and this time it was like chipping cement. If/when this happens, it changes your impression quickly. I still have a replacement dome on my Note 10. It has a small crack and hope I get a new phone before I have to replace.

Thanks,

BJB1

Marco Justiniano

Feb 23, 2022
Visit site
2022, facing the same problem. Maybe it's just a problem with the Note 10+ glass, as I'm currently facing the same problem, just seconds after applying the glass, I have a portion of glass that won't come out. I'm trying the hairdryer heating method, seems to help, but not too helpful. I've been using Whitestone glasses since the Note 8, and they did come out easily. Never had this issue before, until now, with my old Note 10+. Came here trying to find a solution.

BTW. How was your experience with newer models? Did you ever use the Whitestone dome glass on them?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
2022, facing the same problem. Maybe it's just a problem with the Note 10+ glass, as I'm currently facing the same problem, just seconds after applying the glass, I have a portion of glass that won't come out. I'm trying the hairdryer heating method, seems to help, but not too helpful. I've been using Whitestone glasses since the Note 8, and they did come out easily. Never had this issue before, until now, with my old Note 10+. Came here trying to find a solution.

BTW. How was your experience with newer models? Did you ever use the Whitestone dome glass on them?
I also use a razor blade it goes under the screen protector and comes off lot easier just take your time and use the razor with cutting side upward no issue with damage to display don't twist the razor blade or use as pry tool u be fine

BJB1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

So sorry you are experiencing this. Removing it was a nightmare.

I never again used a glass Whitestone dome protector. I have used Zagg hybrid glass Glass Fusion+ on my Note 20 ultra.

They are okay, but the sides and top and bottom or sides on the curve of the phone do not stay well. Application is difficult as on big phones like my Note, it bends on the applicator frame and hits screen before you are ready. That being said, the Zagg works for protection. If the sides stuck like Zaggs used to, I would be happier.

Still looking for a good substitute. Guess I should sell my UV lights I still have...

BJB1

Luke999

Nov 10, 2022
Visit site

Thanks,
BJB1

This may be late but hope it helps someone. Had this same issue with my Pixel 6 Pro. After an hour of getting a micrometer of glass off at a time using a hair dryer, credit card, plastic spludger from my screen install kit, and even trying alcohol, I got frustrated and got out one of my wood chisels.
I know, I know... "What are you thinking using a sharp metal chisel on your beautiful glass phone screen"!! Was really careful and had a very sharp chisel, though. I made sure to keep it very flat against the screen as I pried off the glass and it worked amazingly. Glass protector came off 100x quicker with absolutely no scratches on my screen. Even I was surprised as I was originally resigned to have a couple scratches to get it off out of desperation.
Word of caution, though - WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES! Powdered glass comes flying off into the air and you don't want to get it in your eyes ;)

BJB1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
This may be late but hope it helps someone. Had this same issue with my Pixel 6 Pro. After an hour of getting a micrometer of glass off at a time using a hair dryer, credit card, plastic spludger from my screen install kit, and even trying alcohol, I got frustrated and got out one of my wood chisels.
I know, I know... "What are you thinking using a sharp metal chisel on your beautiful glass phone screen"!! Was really careful and had a very sharp chisel, though. I made sure to keep it very flat against the screen as I pried off the glass and it worked amazingly. Glass protector came off 100x quicker with absolutely no scratches on my screen. Even I was surprised as I was originally resigned to have a couple scratches to get it off out of desperation.
Word of caution, though - WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES! Powdered glass comes flying off into the air and you don't want to get it in your eyes ;)

Thanks, this is not a fun memory. Just had to keep scraping with credit cards and various other things. Hope your post helps someone.
I have been using Zagg Glassfusion+ ever since...
BJB1

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Boy those are some horror stories....I'm so glad I don't use screen protectors :eek: I just stick a good case on, with a raised lip for screen protection, and have never had an issue :D

jlhiowa

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
They way I've removed mine in the past is to gently lift the protector with just enough pressure so that it basically comes off by itself a little at a time. If it starts to crack I then go to another spot or corner. I use my finger nail but your guitar pick should work. I never preheat mine before removal but that would help.
So glad I found this post 😂 This was the first UV glue screen protector I have had to remove. I was having a terrible time. Tried the credit card and it kept breaking off in tiny, sharp pieces. It was so slow and frustrating! Also it would slip and I kept almost cutting myself 😦

Finally tried my fingernail and was able to get it to lift without breaking 😅 I kept doing this around the edges and got it all removed. Thank you!!

Note: Not sure how to describe this, but make sure the glass is going over the top of your fingernail, not under your fingernail. It's such a slow process, I can see how it would be tempting to lift it under your fingernail, but this is glass so don't chance it! The top of your fingernail should eventually work 🤞 Good luck!

Also, the Whitestone Dome protector was cracked a lot, but when it was removed the Note 10 screen was safe! 😃

zeemyname

Oct 26, 2023
Visit site
I've had the exact same thing happen to my s22 ultra right now. Weird because the removal of the first one (same package) went easy. The second time there was less glue, so maybe the problem occurs when there is a smaller layer in between, making it more difficult to peel it of. Thanks for the tip of the hair dryer/ heating it up. I've wrapped it in an electric blanket and it came of a lot easier! (when warm, push a creditcard under the glass and slowly push it all the way to the other side, the glass/glue won't be as brittle anymore.) Just wanted to write it down here, for anyone facing the same problems and finding this topic aswell!

Reactions: YankInDaSouth

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I've had the exact same thing happen to my s22 ultra right now. Weird because the removal of the first one (same package) went easy. The second time there was less glue, so maybe the problem occurs when there is a smaller layer in between, making it more difficult to peel it of. Thanks for the tip of the hair dryer/ heating it up. I've wrapped it in an electric blanket and it came of a lot easier! (when warm, push a creditcard under the glass and slowly push it all the way to the other side, the glass/glue won't be as brittle anymore.) Just wanted to write it down here, for anyone facing the same problems and finding this topic aswell!
Welcome to AC!

Reactions: BerryBubbles

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000