Who's using Project Fi with an eSIM ?

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I have Fi and use the eSim.. I also have an AT&T SIM inserted and can switch between the 2 in the settings.

mrjetpacks

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I have Fi and use the eSim.. I also have an AT&T SIM inserted and can switch between the 2 in the settings.
Is your AT&T SIM a post or pre-paid account? I ask because I had/have a pre-paid SIM for VZW, but apparently every time I switch to the VZW SIM, it treated it like a new device... My service wasn't affected on either SIM, just a quirky mishap I was informed of when lowering my pre-paid data amount 🤷🏾*♂️

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Is your AT&T SIM a post or pre-paid account? I ask because I had/have a pre-paid SIM for VZW, but apparently every time I switch to the VZW SIM, it treated it like a new device... My service wasn't affected on either SIM, just a quirky mishap I was informed of when lowering my pre-paid data amount 🤷🏾*♂️

My AT&T is a post pay account.

marcb11

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
How do you manage switching. What I mean is, I like Fi, I got it originally to stop ATT from blocking updates and because the ATT plan I had was being used up data wise by my kids and wife. So I wanted my own thing and Fi was, at the time cheaper than adding more data to my plan.

However now ATT has different plans and going back on to my family ATT plan would be cheaper than Fi. But I'm still worries about what interference ATT may cause in getting updates from Google.

So I'm considering using an ATT sim and Fi. Using ATT mainly for data and Fi for everything else.

My concern is, I will not get text messages while I'm on the ATT sim, correct? So how do you manage that?

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
How do you manage switching. What I mean is, I like Fi, I got it originally to stop ATT from blocking updates and because the ATT plan I had was being used up data wise by my kids and wife. So I wanted my own thing and Fi was, at the time cheaper than adding more data to my plan.

However now ATT has different plans and going back on to my family ATT plan would be cheaper than Fi. But I'm still worries about what interference ATT may cause in getting updates from Google.

So I'm considering using an ATT sim and Fi. Using ATT mainly for data and Fi for everything else.

My concern is, I will not get text messages while I'm on the ATT sim, correct? So how do you manage that?

You would not be able to do that as it's not a true dual SIM.. You have to swap between them in the settings and only one is active at a time.

When on the Fi eSim you will use Fi data, get SMS and calls to the Fi number and not anything from the AT&T SIM.

When on the AT&T SIM you will use AT&T data and get SMS and calls to the AT&T number and not anything from the Fi eSim..

In order to use both SIM's at the same time, or have it behave in the manner you describe, you'd need a true dual SIM phone which the Pixel 2 is not..

Maybe over time Google can make the eSim act in this manner but for now it's one or the other..

marcb11

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
You would not be able to do that as it's not a true dual SIM.. You have to swap between them in the settings and only one is active at a time.

When on the Fi eSim you will use Fi data, get SMS and calls to the Fi number and not anything from the AT&T SIM.

When on the AT&T SIM you will use AT&T data and get SMS and calls to the AT&T number and not anything from the Fi eSim..

In order to use both SIM's at the same time, or have it behave in the manner you describe, you'd need a true dual SIM phone which the Pixel 2 is not..

Maybe over time Google can make the eSim act in this manner but for now it's one or the other..
Right I get that. I was wondering if you were forwarding your Fi calls and texts to the ATT number. I just tried it, works perfectly. So when I'm using data on the ATT sim my Fi calls and texts can be forwarded to that number, and I tested I can reply as if it was from my Fi number too.

So I ordered a sim, let's me use Fi most of the time and when traveling out of the country which I do often and jump on the ATT family plan when I want to use heavy data without missing any calls or texts.

Not true dual SIM but workable for now.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm on Google Project Fi using the eSIM with my Google Pixel 2 XL 128.
My wife is using a Nexus 6 with a Fi SIM.
We love Google Project Fi.
Our average monthly cost with Google Project Fi is $48.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky